Two Turbot at Tidelands - 9/25

Discussion in 'Bay Fishing' started by Neuroshima, Sep 27, 2022.

1. Neuroshima

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,580
    Inspired by the Fishing With Kids post by Zhao , I rented a skiff out of Glorietta for my two little one's first-ish real fishing experience.... not counting last summer when we skunked at a NorCal reservoir, or the handful of bluegills we got at neighboring ponds.

Told my kids that we were going to go over a bridge, and then under it, which was met with confusion and excitement. We got on the water at 10:30 and took my time getting adjusted to the skiff, not wanting to end up on the Qualified Captain. Made our way to the bridge around 11:00, stayed north of it near the moored boats, and tried to drift southward with the wind, fishing Werf-rigs.

The wind kept pushing us south east and boat traffic was a bit frenetic, so we reset near pylon 5 because 5 "is the best number." At 11:45 my son got nice tug on his Spiderman rod and we picked up a first! A diamond turbot.
    My first time catching one, and my son's first salt-water fish. I've heard about how good they taste, and this was one guy hooked, so I bled it and threw it in the cooler.

_UKKjcTyQ2NtaCOuMod68oha4KE59_Liy_vU_AIEHwIysnsk5jqeDTsivd94DkXSZ9umQ8PQ=w528-h937-no?authuser=0.jpg

We anchored between 5 and 7 to stay in the shade and out of boat traffic. About 45 min later, another tug on the Spiderman rod and this time I handed it off to my daughter. Another tubot! Also gut hooked, also dinner. Both times each kid got to reel one in, and the other got to net it. We also fouled a stingray.

The plan was to drift back into Glorietta, but the wind was pushing us east and started to pick up around 1, so we called it a day. Got Slurpees on the way home (a new treat, 1/6th the price of boba or Yogurtland, same amount of sugar!), and made it in time for the Air Show. We cooked up the turbot with the leftover shrimp in garlic and butter. Turbot was good, nice flavor but we were a bit... aggressive when cooking it.

Hscjiq_dglz3377R3i_u3tAhIf4br4zKwM-j7t5UJwpDnIGhMxJPOPz4g-HWXvVyuUkwskc=w1250-h937-no?authuser=0.jpg

#1 Neuroshima, Sep 27, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2022
  2. YNW_FISHY

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,100
    Name:
    YNWGEEZY
    so you burnt the turbot? lol

3. Neuroshima

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,580
    Technically, no. We... explored the textural gradient between cooked and burnt.

4. Midnightpass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,917
    Nice... You got out with the kiddos... A few 1st and an airshow,,, Can't get a lot better than that...
    Butch

5. Neuroshima

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,580
    The night ended with the 49ers scoring 10 points, their defense only allowing 9, and somehow they still lost. So it wasn't a perfect day.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  6. YNW_FISHY

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,100
    Name:
    YNWGEEZY
    Cook a turbot the same way you cook a pancake

7. galen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,799
    Boat:
    15 ft Saturn raft
    Still haven’t caught one of those little fellas. Shrimp for bait?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. David J. Davey

David J. Davey Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +176
    Yeah, Turbot fillets are pretty thin. About a minute and a half per side, in a medium high heated pan is plenty to cook them.

9. Fins in the Bin

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,789
    Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    Very cool to introduce them to the fact that food starts somewhere else than the grocery store. My kids always wanted to keep everything we caught, sometimes you have to make up new regulations so you don't have to cook up a 16" spottie when you get home.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. Neuroshima

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,580
    They're well aware that we can catch our own food, thanks to the inshore trips fishingmissionbay has taken me out on. And being asian, we eat the WHOLE fish, so they fight over who gets to eat the eyeballs.

One of my main goals in raising them is to be grateful for what we have, and that you get what you get and you don't throw a fit, because the world has generally sucked for most people throughout human history, but we have it pretty good.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  11. Fins in the Bin

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,789
    Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    Right on, Dad of the year right there with those lessons!
    My dads version was "life aint fair you gotta be tough"

12. Zhao

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +475
    Name:
    pkufellow
    I rarely check this board and just found this post... great daddy-job!

I still have not tried the skiff idea, but now feel even itchier. Does it have rod holders, so you can leave rod on it when trolling?

The shape of the fish seems fit in a plate well. May be good for steaming?

Kids love Slurpee. I used to buy Frappuccino for my kids after fishing, and switched to Slurpee since last year. No wait, kids make their own, and waaaayy cheaper.

13. Tommy Chang

Tommy Chang sicka than your average.
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,132
    Boat:
    almost. back.
    Oh no just when I started to like ya. Niners! Lol oh

14. Neuroshima

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,580

No rod holders, just a basic skiff but deep enough to hang a few rod tips over the side to troll. It's was fun, something we'll do again but probably more often when they're a little older and have more patience at ~$100 a trip.