Typical Spanish Saturday

Discussion in 'Bay Fishing' started by Creek, Jul 28, 2019.

1. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,561
    Let's first talk about fishing on a Saturday and why I should have listened long ago when friends of mine here said, "Mike, don't bother fishing on the weekends. It's a zoo on weekends and you'll only go home mad." And they were right.

So let's talk about the fishing first. Wheeled into Spanish at around 630pm. Nice out.. warm breeze, bright sun that was falling down and very few people.. except for the guy throwing some of the heaviest hardware I've ever seen. As I was pushing back from the sand, I heard a loud splash.. it was the weight of whatever he was throwing slamming the surface about fifty feet away from me. Five minutes later and I watch him set the hook. I'm surprised the guts of that fish didn't come screaming out of its belly, leaving a carcass to float on top. Wasn't my business, so I kept moving. For info, it was a small ray. What pizzed me off was to watch him launch the thing in the air when he threw it back. It easily went ten feet in the air and twenty feet away before hitting the water - like hitting concrete, I'm sure. Jerk. But again, not my business.

Outgoing tide, 74 degree water and a nice sunset looming. Made my way to the bridge supports in 10-14' of water. Took a half dozen Spots along the way - all cookie cutters.

Here's the fun story. At the T intersection where you can go left toward the lighthouse or right toward Liberty Station, I was nearly run-over by two azzholes on a jet ski. I'm guessing they were twenty feet away from me as they tore by. Dude was on the back and the girl was driving. I saw them coming from the east, but there was no way I could kick anywhere safe. They were doing a cool 30mph or so in the No Wake/5mph zone. Two boaters were screaming at them and I did pretty much the same thing. My words however were a little more colorful. I kinda wished they had turned toward me and started an argument. But they didn't. They continued ripping toward Shelter Island at the same speed.. but I got a couple of pics that I cant believe came out so well despite the speed as they were flying by. So if anyone knows who these two azzholes are, please don't be afraid to shout out their names publicly here.

Hi4xMZZ.jpg

Q5tCCq6.jpg

The homeless bridge support was looking good today. Seems we have a new player in the mix.. a new tagger.. and he represents SEX, COKE and a few other things that I couldn't quite understand.

cyloAHJ.jpg

Not much happening, so I kicked back during a pretty sunset, only bagging a handful more Spots before getting out.

Note to self: Mike, listen to your friends.

98AW91J.jpg

• Like Like x 12
    • Funny Funny x 6
    • List
  2. inthedeep2

inthedeep2 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +323
    at least that sunset was awesome.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. toddamus

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,356
    I've been holding off on going down to MB for a while. I used to go quite often. Once June came though, things changed. The boat rental place nearby the spot I used to go to started taking people out on wakeboards, started renting out jet skis and sailboats. It kinda started to suck fishing there with all that noise going on.

I'll be happy when September comes and the summer tourism season dies down and things settle out.

#3 toddamus, Jul 28, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • List
  4. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,561
    I had said this in another thread a while back.. the only reason I will fish a Saturday or Sunday every now and then is because miraculously I just happen to have that day off from work. And since I'm having to work extra hours to support everyone else in the US that isn't working or refuses to work, I take it where I can get it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  5. Queue

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,185
    Boat:
    SR-18
    HP>IQ exceedingly abundant during summer weekends

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  6. B8DHOOK

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,070
    “Luxury Jet Ski Rental” says it all. Adrenaline pumped first time riders are scary dangerous.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. toddamus

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,356
    Let’s be clear, jet ski rentals always benefit the community and make things safer......

8. fishinmike

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,229
    Boat:
    Pro angler
    Dude! Sorry, Sir! I have got to do a session with you. I just bob my damaged head in agreement when you go on one of your Dennis Miller rants! I was there Sat and it seemed that anyone riding a rig from that rental was a jack@$$! My bro and I had a descent session and survived the day.
    As I was mesmerized by the bridge art, I counted the days until Labor Day. I decided that I will take at least week off with no phone calls from work. Told the Boss this morning while we worked and the rest of our staff were off.

9. Shawn H

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +458
    Ah, the ol SEX COKE gang back at it again. Pesky rascals they are lmao

10. Larry M

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,977
    Name:
    Larry M
    If they weren't on jet ski rentals they would be on scooter rentals.
    No one is safe.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  11. toddamus

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,356
    Not unless you're in a car. Scooters tend to lose to cars.

12. Graydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +822
    Boat:
    Freedom Boat Club
    If we were up to my dad it would be legal to shoot jet skiers.They also have those little power boat rentals right by Freedom and I cant believe people don't kill themselves in those things with the wakes out in the bay though in truth I've been lucky and never really had a problem with them.

Sailboats on the other hand.... Lately it seems like it is their own personal challenge to get as close to me while I am drifting before they turn. A few weeks ago I bet I had 7 that came within 15 feet of my boat. I could have spit on a few of them, what is the deal with those guys? Is that common practice, It's not like i'm fishing in the channel.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  13. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,561
    No idea. Generally, I think alot of these people just simply "need to be seen by others" or have others "pay attention" to them and "check them out" because they're just too cool for school..

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  14. Mike maio

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,829
    Name:
    Bigheat
    Can’t wait until September!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  15. Eric Mondragon

Ratings:
    +4
    Boat:
    No

16. toddamus

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,356
    Welp, I got the itch to fish and I'm hitting up MB. Could very well suck with all the tourists and jet ski rentals, but I feel like going, so whatever.

17. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +40,498
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Fish that spot we fished with your twin. Have a feeling it could be absolutely loaded

18. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +19,030
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    For this reason I carry an air horn! Used it more than once! I have had guys come running up from below deck and turn at the last second.

19. toddamus

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,356
    Dam, read that too late, would've been a good idea.

SC was predictably screwed. No parking, jet skis everywhere. Went to ski beach for a bit. Hooked onto something that pulled my drag like it was nothing, then when I went to tighten my drag, it shook loose. Might've been a small shark. Oh well. It was impressive how it took the drag so easily, I've never hooked into something like that before.

20. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +40,498
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Some big rays on ski beach during summer.. sounds fun