Ultralight Rod recommendations

Discussion in 'Trout' started by Easy619, Feb 13, 2022.

1. Easy619

Easy619 Tug Addict
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +10,271
    Name:
    Eric
    I plan to go after some trout this year. I have some fly outfits I plan to use but I would also like to add an ultra light spinning setup.

This would be mainly for trout but could see some other uses too. Probably throw some mini jigs, spinners ect, maybe even power bait. I have a 7'7 feather L 4-10# that could probably do a good job with 1/4oz kastmasters and such. So I'm looking for an ultra light rod to complement that.

Watching youtubes and reading around and such, I'm considering the Fenwick Eagle, TFO trout and panfish, and the phenix elixer. Those are all in different price brackets, not sure if I want to drop 200 on the rod but I do want something quality that performs well and feels good in the hand.

I'm open to opinions on those rods, as well as other suggestions. Not quite sure what length I want to go with, I could use some input on that too. The majority of the rods I own are atleast 7ft, most are longer, not sure how I would like a rod shorter than that. Action wise, I dont like rods that are super fast, but I do like a fast-ish tip on lighter rods.

I'll probably go with a 1000 size reel, not sure what direction I'm going on that yet.

2. Angler Zach

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +451
    Having picked up an 8ft 2 piece Daiwa Presso UL for spotty bay fishing, I now really want at least 2 more dedicated specifically for trout. Its a really fun rod at a reasonable price point. My current trout rods are 7ft 2 piece Berkley Lighting UL rods. I had 3 and broke one on a snag. Theyre alright for a throw away rod if youre on a very tight budget.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. Jenx

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,170
    I'm sure some will disagree with me, but I see no point in spending over $100 on a trout spinning rod, at least not for local trout fishing. I own a 6'6" Okuma SST that I use for soaking bait, and a 7'6" American Spirit rod for throwing lures. I caught dozens of trout last year on those two rods. Both were bought off the rack at Turners, and both were less than $50 each.

I suggest going to your local tackle shop and see what feels good in your hand.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Easy619

Easy619 Tug Addict
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +10,271
    Name:
    Eric
    I agree 100% that there is no necessity to buy "nice" rods. I fished budget gear for a long time, didnt have much nice stuff until within the last couple years. Hell, a 40$ 9' gx2 and a 20$ shimano fx did a lot of damage for me for several years. But I do think nicer stuff can add another dimension of enjoyment and satisfaction. All about one's budget and what makes you happy to spend your extra cash on. Although a surf or bay rod in the 100-200$ range that I will fish 100 days a year is more worthy of investment than a rod I might only used a handful of times a year.

I do plan to take a look around at local shops, I feel like I havent seen a huge variety of that kind of stuff at the shops I have been to but then again I havent gone looking for them either.

5. Roncador

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,068
    Boat:
    Check out the kuying Teton rods on AliExpress. Their pretty sick for the money. The cork they use is super nice and they put Fuji guides on em. I got one of the bfs and two spinning models. The super ultralight spinning model is probably my favorite. Rated 1-3lb straight up feel a fish fart with that thing... Also the daiwa spinmatic rods are awesome. You get allot for $35 with those rods. I use the 8ft 2-6lb model for croakers.

#5 Roncador, Feb 14, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  6. Jenx

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,170
    Yeah, that has been my thinking as well. I will happily spend money buying a quality rod or reel that I know will be used regularly, but my trout gear gets used maybe once or twice a year. I had a couple of nice Phenix UL rods for a bit, but couldn't justify owning nice rods that just collected dust nine or ten months out of the year.

Speaking of only using trout gear a few times a year, I started fishing a 1000 size reel in the surf last year. You don't need much line capacity when targeting perch, croaker, or corbina. Especially when sight-fishing for corbina. My Battle III 1000 holds about 100 yards of 15lb braid, which is more than enough line for most surf and bay applications. So that reel might be an option to look at if you want a 1000 size reel you can use all year. It might be a little heavier than other reels that size, but it will hold up to salt better.

7. CrazyDonkey

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,440
    I have a two piece Californian from Turners that I like, only thing I don't like is it seems a little loose at the joining point and I need to make sure it hasn't twisted every few casts.

8. Bassnbeans

Bassnbeans 4th turning is gonna hurt
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,040
    Stephan Deambrogio might have some suggestions. He also ties mini jigs that get BIT. I’m running out of them, BTW.

9. Stephan Deambrogio

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +960
    Name:
    SDFishKid
    Boat:
    Yes
    I’ll be sending some your guys way pretty soon l.

10. Easy619

Easy619 Tug Addict
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +10,271
    Name:
    Eric
    Roncador one of the YouTube ultralight guys was talking about those teton rods. I'll look into that.

Jenx yeah one of the reasons I was thinking a 1000 size is it could double for skinny water fishing in the surf.

11. Bassnbeans

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,040
    Looks like those are quite a ways north of $35 now. Do you have a direct link? Thanks.

12. Roncador

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,068
    Boat:
    Your right. $45 still ain't too bad though. Didn't think about the obvious as I was thinking what I got it for.

13. Stephan Deambrogio

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +960
    Name:
    SDFishKid
    Boat:
    Yes
    I’d go with something in the 7-7.5 ft range. Phenix mirage for mini Jigs, elixir for drop shot/powerboat. G loomis also makes some nice rods, but can be pricy. If you are on a budget, American spirit or Californian. Reel wise, I’d go with a 500-1000, I have a Sedona and I really like it, but there’s also the fuego in the same price range. If you want to go all out, Stradic is the way to go. If you have any more questions, feel free to message me.

14. Bassnbeans

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,040
    I must be an Ali Express **tard or something. Only seeing $75 and up. Model number? Boomer assistance helpline? LOL!

15. Roncador

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,068
    Boat:
    That's what they cost. Used to be $55-65 a few years ago. The 622sul Teton is the tits.

16. Easy619

Easy619 Tug Addict
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +10,271
    Name:
    Eric
    From what I gather, sounds like anglers tend to prefer a more moderate rod for powerbait stuff and a faster rod for mini jigs, kastmasters, spinners ect.

What do you guys think?

17. Bassnbeans

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,040
    While I myself prefer a more sensitive/faster tip at least, I’ve seen some pretty noodley sticks out there for mini jigs. Used to good effect too. The action used seems to be small oscillations that create at least 2 nodes in the rod, causing the tip to have rapid small oscillations to give the action to the jig.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  18. Easy619

Easy619 Tug Addict
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +10,271
    Name:
    Eric
    Getting geared up..planning to give it a go next week. Looking to do some camp-n-fish staycations in the next few months as well.
    20220223_171448.jpg

19. CrazyDonkey

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,440
    If could have a rod that was more noodle for casting and then would switch to fast when fishing then I would pick that, lol. I prefer a fast action for feeling strikes and fighting in pretty much all the fishing that I do...which is very very minimal at this point.

20. spicymayo

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,320
    #20 spicymayo, Feb 24, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List