Ultralighting Spanish

Discussion in 'Float Tubing' started by Creek, Sep 12, 2019.

1. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,522
    Met Capt Woody at Spanish this morning under an absolutely gorgeous sky. Outside temp was 72 degrees at 615am.. water temp was 72 as well, with clarity to five feet or so.

0.JPG

1.JPG

Decided to run the inbound tide eastbound heading for the cul-de-sac, then let the outgoing current push us back once it took over.

So here's what was up.. Woody has been riding me like a circus elephant to give ultralighting a chance. Ultralighting in the bay goes against everything I know in my heart and soul about flyfishing. But okay.. I have a 3wt rod and an extra ultralight reel laying around so why not. About two weeks ago, I acquired a JT ultralight sink tip line from Craig Smith at the shop. That, coupled with about fifty yards of dacron backing and I felt like I was good to go. Had to pare everything down size-wise. That meant ditching my 30# Fireline for 20#.. giving up my usual 10-12# fluorocarbon strips in favor of 6#. It's like I'm set-up for flyfishing a Sierra stream more than anything else. In my mind, I'm going to be driving home today with a 3wt fly rod that would be in shards, a reel that was going to have the brakes burned out of it, and a torn line - all possibilities when doing what I'm about to do.

Took my first Spottie about ten minutes after getting in. It pulled line, and the reel made the most awesome clicking sound. I've never heard it pull at high speed.. now I know what I've been missing.

2.JPG

Watched Woody take a baby Ray. Wing tip to wing tip I'd guess he was maybe 18" or so. Cute little bugger. I was trying to get positioned to cut Woodys' line and let him dash with the fly and leader, but Woody got a case of the "braves" .. he reached out with a pair of pliers and popped the hook away of the little Ray and off he went. Was fun watching him bolt.

3.JPG

5.JPG

Also saw him take something that ran his azz silly in circles. We thought it most likely to be a large Corvina. The silver bar look was something to see - although I didnt get to see it like Woody did. But I did see the huge rings it made as it broke free. What a drag. It would have been FOTD for sure.

4b.JPG

Took a 6" Halibut. What an embarrassment. But on a 3wt, it actually pulled a little. No idea why I feel compelled to add it here, but whatever.. its funny, and its a fish.

6.JPG

That was pretty much it. Just an okay morning at Spanish. Numbers werent what I had hoped, but that's the way it's been going at Spanish this year.. so anything approaching twenty is a good outing. My number was 18 today.. just couldnt get that magical 20 no matter what I did. Will do it again next week, although I'm not sure where yet. Tides look decent, so probably one of the favorite venues I assume.

2. Larry M

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,952
    Name:
    Larry M
    With all of those green lights in the frist picture I would of taking it as an omen that you were good to go.

3. captwoody

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,749
    Name:
    Woody
    Boat:
    19ft Kencraft
    I had a blast today ended up with 16 and a bat ray plus a 65 yard run before I panicked and broke her off. fish 6lb flouro so I will break line not rod. It did its job when I did mine wrong and it was an awesome 10 minute fight till I broke her off. I even ended up with a double it was a blast and a circus made a mess in my stripping basket. And Creek welcome to the ultralight club where sanity has nothing to do with it

#3 captwoody, Sep 12, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
  4. captwoody

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,749
    Name:
    Woody
    Boat:
    19ft Kencraft
    Pic of double 0912190756.jpg

5. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,338
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    Boat:
    17.5 Western Wide CC

6. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,338
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    Boat:
    17.5 Western Wide CC
    Don't know what happened there , Was just saying perfect for a salt water aquarium , Pretty little fish . Sorry for managing to edit your post instead of a reply . WR

7. dooolan

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +975
    I fished out there monday and the wind was at 5 to 10mph at 6am! Managed 12 but got wrecked by the wind in my yak.

8. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,522
    We saw no wind whatsoever until we were about 15 mins from put-out. We had been cruising in front of the beach but I wasnt seeing any love for fish numbers 19 and 20.. started kicking west past the bathrooms and our rides. Once we had met our bullshyt parking term limit (4 hrs), we turned around to kick back.. but no kicking necessary.. the slight breeze hitting us was more than enough to push us back to the sand.

9. CraigSmith

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,948
    Nice work guys. As you know know Creek, a 3wt fly rod is capable of handling probably 90% or more of what you will hook in the bay.

The greater limitation is in the size and weight of the flies you can cast. But that is not an issue from a float tube since you can just flop the flies out there and feed slack line out if needed.

#9 CraigSmith, Sep 15, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
  10. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,522
    Exactly what I do. I've never really had a reason to "throw" flies out there in that classic A RIver Runs Through It fashion. No need. Just wiggle out whatever length you need to get the job done. I think the last time I actually threw line was during a bailt blast that was happening less than thirty feet from me.

11. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,522
    Exactly what I do. I've never really had a reason to "throw" flies out there in that classic A RIver Runs Through It fashion. No need. Just wiggle out whatever length you need to get the job done. I think the last time I actually threw line was during a bailt blast that was happening less than thirty feet from me.