upcoming Chubasco 2 1/2 day trip

Discussion in 'Sport Boats' started by old_rookie, May 19, 2017.

1. old_rookie

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,459
    Taking my son and son-n-law this Sunday on the Chubasco 2.
    They have been mainly targeting rockfish and kelp bass - which is fine by me - rockfish are good eating.
    Would like some tips/pointers to maximize our time. I'll be bring gear for all of us - and I'm figuring setting up with dropper loops a lot like the image below - but not with a 12" leader - just putting the hook on the loop that is about 4-6". Probably 3-4oz weights as well. They often have live bait - is this the best way to do it?

deep-catfish-rig-with-dropper-loop.png

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  2. Cheese Whiz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,556
    That's what I do. I also just tie the hook directly to a long dropper loop like you were suggesting. Good luck! Let us know how you do. I haven't been able to get out the past few weeks as I've been out of town so anxious to hear how the rockfish bite has been. Hoping to start getting back out there soon.

3. Werfless

Werfless The Coach ..RIP my friends
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +62,202
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    should be fine.. if the live bait isn't producing, don't be afraid to put a strip of mackerel instead of chove/dine.. or a squid head on a sculpin killer (white torpedo with a siwash hook on the back).. ahi assault jigs work well on larger RF as well..

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  4. old_rookie

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,459
    I'll be bringing various lead heads/plastics and some metal jigs if the live bait isn't working. Sometimes they have cut strips of squid too.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. MaxZmus

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,418
    If they don't have squid, I recommend bringing your own. Squidco or the asian supermarkets always have them. Make sure to check with the captain a day before departure so you'll have enough time to pick up some squid if the boat won't have any for that trip. And I always use a double dropper loop for maximizing your catch rate. Maybe go up to a 6-10oz torpedo if your deep and the current is strong.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  6. Snag

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,302
    You can purchase squid on the boat now but its probably best to bring your own. Pick up some shrimp while your at it.

Double dropper loop is their preferred way of fishing. I fish that too when fishing 200' or more. For 100' less I use one dropper loop. Braid to 20lb fluorocarbon. I was planning on going Sunday as well. I'll be the guy with the bright green hat :p

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  7. weldon

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,154
    You can buy pretied two hook mono leaders with snap swivels, etc for $3 or so. Replace the hooks with circle hooks from 2/0 to 6/0. Use braid for sensitivity and no rubber band effect. Also min of 10 oz up to 16 oz sinkers to keep on the bottom as you don't want to be THAT guy with his line blowing all over the place and tangling up with every body else. And yea squid is the way to go

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. old_rookie

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,459
    Good info - probably can do all that except re-spool my reels with braid.

9. vaughanmatt13

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +331
    Name:
    Matthew Vaughan
    Boat:
    Scout 430
    That will work but also keep in mind the fishing locally is gonna pop soon and the bigger fish will start to bite an show up on the fish counts so also have a secondary rig ready if you come into those Yellows that have been around might get lucky. Just my two cents good luck.

10. old_rookie

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,459
    I hate seals - x10.

I set up our rods with 15lbs mono and double dropper with 4/0 hooks.
    We set out of MB and went north - somewhere in line with Wind-n-sea according to my son - he pointed out Marine street.

I was telling my son about jigs since I saw one on someone else's set up - he said he wanted to try that - so I changed on set up and tied on a Ahi jig.
    The hooks were a bit big, but I was able to bait them no problem.
    My son got his jig in first to the bottom and was bouncing it - I dropped my line next to him and was thinking it must be really deep because my line just kept going - then I realized it was going out away from the boat - ok - fish on!! - and it kept going - no great speed - so I bring it, it had some weight to it - ended up with kelp on the hook instead of live bait or a fish. Seal??
    Next drop had something again - but quickly came off.

Not much more happened at that spot. Not sure how son-n-law was doing.

We moved to another spot and I noticed son-n-law didn't get up - he was starting to get sea-sick and didn't fish anymore.

We moved further north and west and tried more spots. Son did manage to get two rock and a mack with the jig. The mack was released.

There were numerous times me and others pulled up our line and just the head of our baits remained. F@$#% seals.
    I decided to try my $ Lucanus jig - since the seals won't bite that. Jigged that for a bit then got something - maybe just been a mack, but then a seal took the fish, and wasn't letting go and line was going fast - then I tightened too much and snapped the line. My son said he's never seen me so mad. I detest seals. Yes, they serve a purpose in the balance of nature, but they need to stop being lazy and and stop being freeloaders.

At one point we were in 180' of water (NW corner maybe?) and I took the jig set up from my son and cast it out a few times - scored a rockfish with that.

I did see a nice sheephead come up - and there were plenty of small rockfish. Many that I would toss back if I were on my kayak and pulled them up. Not sure why they were kept. And I see their fish count doesn't include the sheephead.

Someone caught a short barracuda. I also saw a decent sized calico, as compared to all the little rockfish.

Crew on this boat are decent guys. They genuinely seem to be there to help those that need it. They are quick to recognize when someone has a bent rod (stuck or fish). Captain was on a deck a few times helping others. He helped my son get that Ahi jig free from being stuck at the bottom. We both thought it was going to be stuck at the bottom and lost forever - the amount of effort he put in trying to pull it up - one thing I learned is that my knot skills aren't too bad since we didn't lose the jig to a bad knot.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  11. Snag

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,302
    The seals can be a pain. What I hate the most is the damn birds. I hooked 5 on one trip. We were fishing in 80' of water and they would dive to get the live bait at the bottom.

12. old_rookie

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,459
    Did not have a problem with birds. I was dropping straight down.
    Someone did lose a rod over the rail - all sorts of commotion - deck hands grabbing gaffs - didn't hear if it was retrieved - didn't see who lost it.

#12 old_rookie, May 22, 2017
    Last edited: May 23, 2017
  13. weldon

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,154
    FYI: Just came back from an overnighter to San Clemente. Had to push the Captain to get squid which is now according to them $60-$80 a scoop. Saw several bait boats picking up squid off the island.

14. weldon

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,154
    Back in my diving days you would be surprised at the number of rigs laying around the bottom especially near the wrecks off Ft Lauderdale where the party boat would congregate . More than two week under water marine growth would start covering them and after that they would be worthless.

15. old_rookie

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,459
    After we were underway I asked one of the deckhands if squid would be available - he said no, we are fishing the kelp beds.

Well after the half-way point of our time on the water the captain said squid is thawing out and will be available. It was and they cut it up into short 2" pieces.

16. weldon

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,154
    For bottom fishing for the various species on a dropper loop or two hook leader set up squid is very easy to fish. Stays on the hook better and you don't have to keep checking your bait to see if it's still active like 'dines or 'chovies. Plus fish like it. Fish strips also work and if you are fishing plastics in the kelp for calicos a piece of squid strip entices with the scent factor.

17. old_rookie

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,459
    Agreed it is much easier - and I often do that when on the kayak - was not easy trying to get two bait fish on the hooks. I took my set up to the live well, get one hooked and put it back in the small hold while I try to get another one on. Then the first one made its way into an adjacent hold and the hook would get stuck in the perforated panel separating the holds. It would get tricky and I did that only twice I think.