Updates and Swimjig Theories

Discussion in 'Bay Fishing' started by JeremyFWright, Feb 24, 2020.

1. JeremyFWright

JeremyFWright Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +270
    Hi all,

Been a few months since I posted on here. I recently moved back to Socal after 3 semesters of college up in Portland, Oregon. Routine spotty fishing is back. I've been trying to branch out and try new harbors and areas I normally don't target - I've had some decent fish since December when I've been back. Nothing too crazy, but too many to count legal spotties and a few 3-4lb harbor sand bass, which pull pretty hard when you're shorepounding.
    Here are some shots. Not all from SD waters, a disclaimer.

IMG_5015.jpeg IMG_5059.jpeg IMG_1022.jpeg IMG_1139.jpeg IMG_1140.jpeg IMG_1142.jpeg IMG_1212.jpeg IMG_4270.jpeg IMG_4976.jpg

Now a few ideas / thoughts I've had...
    As seen in the photos, I've been doing a lot of night fishing with the swimjig. Works phenomenal around rock, but I'll get them in eel grass and sandy bottoms with the jig too. Based off of how much crustaceans make up saltwater bass's diets, I think this technique needs to rebound a little! When fishing around rock and structure, banging those heads into rock makes a lot of noise and commotion too, gets that skirt to pulsate, and often seems to trigger bites.
    For some reason, the fall rates seem to make a big difference. A lot of the time you get bit on the fall, and sometimes they won't bite a 1/2 ounce jig - I think it falls a bit quick and unnaturally. But a 1/4 ounce swimjig with a more buoyant trailer can fall on freespool pretty slowly and methodically. There's a time and place for both.

I've also recently been fishing the jig on a slightly different rod than I think most people would think. I picked up a Megabass orochi emtf - it's a 7'5 graphite moving bait rod, made really for deep cranks and lipless cranks. It's got a soft tip and a big backbone, and somehow megabass maintained a ton of sensitivity in the rod. I personally think it's the closest thing to a high-end do it all rod. I've fished treble and single hook moving baits on it with great success. Sensitivity wise, it's comparable or in some ways better than my 7'8 heavy jig rod. Anyways, I found myself getting short bit a lot, particularly on the jig, when fishing with my old jig rod. The bass seem to chew on swimjigs a lot more than a swimbait or bladed bait, which often they'll just choke. I found myself on the 7'8 jig rod setting the hook prematurely and getting my trailers bit off, and missing a lot of fish. The emtf is nice. I feel the bites but it gives them a bit more time and rod tip to swallow and load up the rod. Some days in particular when the fish are really nipping at the baits this rod has been a lifesaver.

I still have fished the crank on that rod, which it does well at. Amazing rod for the norman dd's, megabass deep sixes and deep x300s, and 5/6xd's.

Anyways, all you guys out there that fish the Swimjig, curious to hear how / when you use it. It's pretty strictly a nighttime or low light bait for me, but it seems to work everywhere.

Happy fishing

2. OPERATOR SPECTRE

OPERATOR SPECTRE Small stingrays make great frisbees
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,718
    Those are some toad sand bass... nice job..

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  3. Fishtricks

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,318
    nice sandies

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. Fishtricks

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,318
    i wrote a how to saltwater jigs article a few years ago. it was featured here on sdfish for a long time and in WON but i dont know where to find it now.

you dont look like you need it anyway

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Fishtricks

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,318
    lead to plastic ratio is a big deal

90% of anglers jigs are too heavy

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. OPERATOR SPECTRE

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,718
    very curious about that

7. JeremyFWright

Ratings:
    +270
    If you look at crabs and especially red-crabs when they come into the bay, they're kinda free floating. Not glued to the bottom. I think that often a lighter swimjig head helps mimic this a bit.
    I had a day recently where a friend and I were fishing next to each other - same craw trailer except he had a 1/4 ounce swimjig and I had a 1/2 ounce. He destroyed me, getting most of his bites on the fall. Super interesting to observe.

8. JeremyFWright

Ratings:
    +270
    I'd love to read it if I can
    I'd love to see it and read it - I'll hunt for it. I appreciate it!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. scisports

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,948
    Awesome post dude, keep em coming!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. Fishtricks

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,318
  11. Fishtricks

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,318
    that was the closest thing i could find

12. 5-20

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,624
    Cool write up. That rod sounds pretty good.

13. JeremyFWright

Ratings:
    +270
    IMG_1127.jpeg IMG_1128.jpeg

Forgot to include this MB legal. Watched him eat the a-rig upper water column and absolutely choked the bait. That's a 3/8th ounce swimbait head and 4 inch swimbait for comparison.

14. Lahinch

Lahinch Member

Ratings:
    +20
    I have heard people talk about the faster sink of heavier swimjigs actually triggering a reaction bite, and people using them for just that reason. It seems to work in the kelp anyway for calico.

But I agree that the lighter ones seem to work better or at least more consistently. Maybe a Damiki rig could be interesting around structure to see if a spiral fall helps much.

15. OPERATOR SPECTRE

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,718
    I've noticed recently, at least during the colder months the bass like a slower retreive... most likely they are more lethargic. I've been barely even moving the baits I use and getting tons of bites and catches that way... only a few have come in on a faster retrieve recently, mostly the drop. 1/4th with 3 inch curly tail. During mid summer though in my experience they will take faster moving reaction baits more often... I'm lucky if I get to fish even once a week but that's just my 2 cents

#15 OPERATOR SPECTRE, Feb 25, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
  16. JeremyFWright

Ratings:
    +270
    Lahinch OPERATOR SPECTRE Fishtricks Now here's a question for you all.
    I think spotties feed on crabs and crustaceans with their claws differently than a small fish which they can kinda just suck in. I think it's similar to green bass, where you'll see them pick at the claws of a crawfish, maybe even trying to bite them off before they eat it.

Anywaysss... rambling over, I'm getting at the fact that with swimjigs if you truly are trying to mimic crab and crustacean and not just trigger a reaction strike then a lot of the time you gotta let them chew and try to get your hookpoint as far back towards the "claws" or "flappers" on your trailer as possible. My craw trailers get the claws bitten off way more than my swimbaits get their tails bitten off, and I think there's a reason for that.

Also, anyone fish a small lightly colored swimjig with a small white or pale slug? If you pop it with the rod tip the slug sits upright. Pretty good baitfish and razor clam presentation in my opinion.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  17. JeremyFWright

Ratings:
    +270
    All you swimjig guys, try a keitech crazy flapper as your trailer and thank me later :emoji_joy:

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  18. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +15,310
    Nice basseses

19. Gabemorales

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +804
    Name:
    Gabe
    Bro the size of those sandies! And spotties!
    Your report is so detailed and you can obviously see that you’re looking into the science of things which is killer. I’ve done that myself, but you’re on another level. Hella motivating me To look deeper into it! Great job man

20. Bassnbeans

Bassnbeans Zen Fisherman
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,500
    LOVE the grump face in that first pic!!! Great job man. Thanks for dropping the science on us. I like that!