Upper Kern Advice??

Discussion in 'Trout' started by Titos334, Nov 26, 2019.

1. Titos334

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +912
    Probably not the best time to be fishing with the winter storm approaching and temperatures and whatnot but I'm testing out some backpacking gear and camping along the upper Kern this weekend. Since I'll be right on the river I figured I'd bring my waders and wet a line. I've spin-fished rivers a good amount back in college fishing the Provo and surrounding waters so I have a little experience. If I don't catch anything I won't be bummed and I'm fairly confident I can figure something out on my own but was curious if anyone had advice.

My idea was mostly to just throw 1/16oz-1/8oz in-line spinners and CD5 Rapalas. Any advice or comments appreciated, thanks! Considering buying some nymphs to double drop w/ split shot as well from the Kern fly store.

2. Werfless

Werfless The Coach ..RIP my friends
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +50,181
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Think you have a good plan.. enjoy the run

3. Fishingnoob619

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +497
    Lots of snow in the forecast. BE CAREFUL!! Stay safe.

4. Titos334

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +912
    Agreed! Always cautious around other winter drivers. Thankfully I have 4x4 and lots of winter driving experience but you can't ever let your guard down.

5. jus bigguns

jus bigguns Troutmaster
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,194
    Boat:
    Nitro
    I consider myself Knowledgeable about Kern River. I have fished alot of that water. My favorite place is the "Graveyard" Its where the Kern flows into the lake from the north. Don't be afraid to throw a few rapalas in those pools. Up river is good at the powerplant, Headquarters, Camp3, Hospital Flats and many more spots between johnsondale. Explore that River. And as Waylon Jennings sang. I'll never swim Kern River again.

6. Titos334

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +912
    Just got back from spending the weekend at the Upper Kern. Stayed at headquarters campground and tested out some gear before backpacking Catalina Island next weekend.

Did a little bit of fishing, figured it would be tough since the water was 40 degrees and air temps were lucky to touch 40 mostly in the high 20s to mid/high 30s. Weather was good for me though Friday it was a partly sunny and Saturday it was cloudy but didn't rain/snow until 4:00pm after I was done fishing.

On day 1 I hooked one on a #1 silver blue fox that got off at my feet when I was wetting my hand. Day 2 I went 1 for 1 fishing a double drop split shot rig with a gummy san juan worm low and a #18 midge high. Tough fishing, guys at the fly shop echo'd the sentiment. I'm happy I got one haven't caught a trout in years and a river trout in even longer. Gonna start planning a trip to the lower owens next!

4sYzBLL.jpg
    mpezy9r.jpg
    s3xX5Ar.jpg