Used PA12 vs new Outback for offshore?

Discussion in 'Kayak and Paddle Board Fishing' started by Admiral_bisquik, Oct 20, 2019.

?

Used PA12 vs new Outback

1. Pa12

3 vote(s)
    42.9%
  2. Outback

4 vote(s)
    57.1%
  1. Admiral_bisquik

Admiral_bisquik Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +26
    I'm looking at getting a Hobie here in the next few weeks. I plan on using it all around, offshore in the la Jolla area, both bays and lakes. I'm in-between a used PA12 or a brand-new Outback, from some googling and some youtubing some guys say it's harder to launch a pa from the surf due to the heavier weight. Any thoughts or suggestions?
    Also (just curious) I was talking to an 'old timer' the other day and he mentioned that the sharks off shore "love them kayaks" should that be a concern of mine? Also if anyone needs a kayaking partner hit me up. Thank.

2. NibbleSquad

NibbleSquad Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +337
    The hobie PA are HEAVY boats. but once you get them out there they are amazing. You can stand up and cast a surface iron pretty easily and they have a ton of storage. Personally i would get the outback just for the ease of transportation and speed increase. As far as sharks go... i would be more concerned about a hungry seal looking to bite some fingers. Head down to FastLane in mission bay and try them out first. They usually have deals on used kayaks.

3. cavedog619

cavedog619 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +76
    Boat:
    Hobie Outback
    Ya, I can’t decide either way too. I’m leaning more towards the Outback due it’s light weight. Not looking to do any surf launches anytime soon. Mostly bays and local lakes.

4. 5-20

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,475
    Getting eaten by a shark while on a kayak is just like riding on a plane and having it crash. It might happen. Or not. You never really know. Until it happens. And then you sort of hope that you go fast. Or that your injuries aren’t too debilitating.

But imagine the stories people will tell about you if you’re eaten by a shark. You’ll live on for ages. And maybe it’ll help kayak manufacturers come out with something innovative to help prevent it from happening again. And you’ll have helped a shark live another day.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  5. Admiral_bisquik

Ratings:
    +26
    I went down there to check out the Outback, they're super helpful and nice, I didn't get to test it on the water. But I'll definitely have to try both and thanks for the heads up.

6. NibbleSquad

NibbleSquad Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +337
    The LJ surf launch typically isn’t any more unpleasant than launching in the bay. The waves on most days I’ve been out have only been about 1-2 feet. I remember seeing someone on here comment regarding La Jolla “if a 5’1 Asian tourist can do it, so can you.”

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  7. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +39,730
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    It were me, I would get a used outback.. or whatever you can afford, come November when they start to go, cheap.. always better to get out and work on skills than work on gear... When in doubt, get what you can.. skills are far more important

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. RolloTomasi

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,507
    Boat:
    Nice tube cheap yak
    One advantage of a 2019 Outback is the flat hull. The people at Fastlane say they ship hull-down unlike previous years. I have left mine in my pickup bed with no ill effects to the hull. It’s nice to have it loaded the night before a trip.

I’d buy something used and cheap until the Outback - assuming it still has a flat hull - gets MD360, then buy that new. Then again, I care more about transportability than standing in my yak.

#8 RolloTomasi, Oct 23, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
  9. RolloTomasi

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,507
    Boat:
    Nice tube cheap yak
    If you get a good, stable yak and you’re interested in going out between the OB and MB jetties, let me know. It can a bit rough getting out, but it calms down outside.

10. cavedog619

cavedog619 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +76
    Boat:
    Hobie Outback
    Thanks. I'll hit you up when I do.

11. Admiral_bisquik

Ratings:
    +26
    Just an update everyone I ended up getting a fully loaded used PA12 for 2200, I tested it out this weekend in Oceanside harbor, it rocked. I plan on hitting mission Bay or the big bay this Saturday

12. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +39,730
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Go get em...

13. RolloTomasi

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,507
    Boat:
    Nice tube cheap yak
    Pm’ed you with info. (Sorry so many posts, but it wouldn’t accept more than one image per message.)

Here’s a link to the the beach wheels hack I mentioned: https://youtu.be/Lekmk_E8Me4

hmu if you’ve got questions.

14. 5-20

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,475
    Did you go with the shark proof edition or the regular one? Obviously, there's a significant difference in price but that's reflected in the materials and construction...

15. NY 4 Reels

NY 4 Reels Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +87
    I have a 2018 PA12. It’s a very stable boat but it’s heavier and slower than the Outback.

it has great rod storage so you can tuck them into the hull. They won’t stick up like the outback. That’s a concern for some when doing a surf launch.

It’s a trade off. I’m in my mid 50’s and pulling it around can be a pain (literally) especially after you’re tired from peddling miles and miles all day.

no matter how you look at a it they will both cost you some change. Maybe it would be a good idea to try them both out several ti

16. Double Minor

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,258
  17. Admiral_bisquik

Ratings:
    +26
    Double Minor I wasn't really fishing the best I could because I forgot my pliers and couldn't cut my braid to add a leader so had straight braid to lure. But to be frank I haven't had much luck at all in the harbor, I've fished it like 5 times and nothing more than some good hits but no fish yet. I'm going to hit the docks here from my kayak soon.

18. Admiral_bisquik

Ratings:
    +26
    Sadly couldn't afford that model