Vail lake

Discussion in 'Bass' started by Firemechanic, Jun 8, 2016.

1. Firemechanic

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +218
    So I'm going to vail for the 4th of July with the family , of course I plan on fishing . Not taking the boat , 150 to launch seems excessive to me. Is the shore fishing decent ? How helpful would a float tube be ? What baits tend to work there ? ANY help is appreciated.

2. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,978
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    I know noting about Vail other than what I have read on this site, but a tube is always better than being shore bound. @Fishbreath always seemed to do well on the DS.

3. Firemechanic

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +218
    Thanks for the reply , I haven't seen a report from you or ramona angler in a while , has sutherland been that bad ?

4. Fishbreath

Fishbreath Fishing tales told here....some true.
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,546
    As @fisheromen said, take your tube. The lake is down so you may want to kick all the way out to the main lake points and over to the dam. That is a long way but you should have the wind at your back on the way in. With the lake down you will be structure fishing since the water level is well below any cover. Stressed by low water levels the past few years, it is far from the lake it was a few years back, but it still producing. Last June I averaged 67 fish for 8 trips, but that was skewed a little from having two trips with over 100 fish. That dropped off a little in July with an average of 35 fish for 6 trips. The lake is advising small boats only, no bass boats or pleasure boats because of poor launch conditions. You won't have to worry about boat traffic. The lake publishes a weekly report. http://vaillakeresort.com/wp/category/fishing-report/ Looks like they miss having the regulars there to keep up the numbers. With the launch uncertainty, most of us decided not to buy the annual pass this year. Let us know how you do.

5. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,978
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    I have decided to give those Sutherland bass a well-deserved break! All three of them can rest up while I go up and try to catch some trout out of high mountain streams.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  6. Firemechanic

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +218
    LOL yea the same fish need a break I suppose , I skipped last weekend due to the heat , I decided it would be more fun to sit at home in my kiddie pool and drink rum and coke