Very strange year on a local lake

Discussion in 'Panfish' started by spoonminnow, Jul 16, 2019.

1. spoonminnow

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +952
    I can't put my finger on why so many fish have been caught in a local lake I've fished for decades - and in July and all - day - long! It seems like there was an explosion of the fish population and in the quality of panfish. Great for me in that I can try my lure creations. These are some of the numbers caught on different days in the last month: 60, 60, 64 (yesterday); 108 and 96 with a partner (who I recently I taught finesse fishing.) Other anglers are reporting good numbers.

Here are the strange happenings for this lake:
    Surprising is that the crappie and sunfish have been decent in size and in large numbers, pretty much staying grouped in one very large area of the lake: a large 6' deep flat along adjacent to one shoreline.

Fish like yesterday can be caught all day long from 8:30 am until 4:30pm and in bright sun. Water temperature in the 80's shouldn't make much of a difference and the water level is dropping due to no new rains in awhile.

This lake isn't known for quality fish but the crappie have been over 10" and the sunfish larger than an outstretched hand. Occasionally bass over 2.5 lbs are caught as well as yellow perch under 10". Strange are the catfish caught on soft plastics and light jigs. My partner caught four in one outing. I've caught them up to 7.5 lbs on a different water but four?!!

The lures fish bite are not unusual - fish anywhere bite small soft plastics regardless of species. Here are a few that have done well when rigged on light jig heads 1/32-3/32 oz..:
    hand poured thin straight tail:

clear and pearl tapered tails:
    Y2B9Y7h.jpg cNISFds.jpg

spike tail:
    6VldQtd.jpg HYNvAv7.jpg p8iD1cy.jpg

even this claw tail made from the body and curl tail of a Mr Twister 3" grub:
    jYYHxJQ.jpg 0EnaTZR.jpg

This claw was cut from a crawdad bass lure:
    QwZ8O4T.jpg OTqK5St.jpg jO1VvkJ.jpg

My partner will not cast anything but a Crappie Magnet Grub:
    cUyfDnW.jpg

which I caught a few crappie attaching them to a Beetle Spin rig :
    CunH597.jpg

View attachment 117599

The strikes for the most part were hard while others were barely a tick felt on the line. Tackle used were light action 5'6" spinning rods (not UL), Daiwa Silvercast 100A spincast reel and Shimano spinning reel - both loaded with 8# test braid (2# diameter). Note:, the rig cost my partner less than 50 bucks and has enabled him nice catches. Even a 1/16 oz jig + lure casted a long distance and thin braid (no leader) allowed good lure action as well as strike sensitivity.

#1 spoonminnow, Jul 16, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
  2. tsugg

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,798
    Name:
    Tom
    Boat:
    alumacraft 165
    Mystery lake???

3. spoonminnow

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +952
    County lake in southern NY. I'm sure most that fish it don't do as well - at least in the open water pattern I've been catching fish. The secret is in the presentation and lures used up until now. LOL (doubt anyone local visits this forum TG !)

4. fishnfreak

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +948
    Otay was the lake with the panfish numbers here. every week the newspaper had the fish report tuesday- thursday, dont know were the panfish anglers go now, el cap was the crappie capital, people would come from LA.
    ENJOY IT WHILE IT LASTS, years from now you'll be talking about the good ole days.

thanks for sharing

5. spoonminnow

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +952
    Good thing I keep a photo log for every outing.

6. Baja_Traveler

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +912
    Ha - I was looking at that tree lined background and thinking "that's not a San Diego lake that I've ever seen..."

The San Diego Fly Fishers had a get together at Otay on Sunday. I fished off the kayak and hit probably half the lake and only saw one bass boat bring in one fish the whole day. When I got back to the launch, the 15 of us caught exactly one bluegill. Dirty water and a ton of weeds.

7. spoonminnow

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +952
    When I visited El Cajon in August years ago where my cousins live, the weather was mild which shocked me considering how hot it was in NY. At least there was a constant breeze/wind most of the day seeing as the temperature reached near 85. Doubt I'll ever see this pattern ever again.
    XeMTCPv.jpg

You would think this lake not far from where I live would do as well. Not a chance. Lucky if I caught a dozen last time I visited July 2.
    mkDHE7t.jpg

#7 spoonminnow, Jul 17, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2019