Video editing tools

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by old_rookie, Jun 24, 2022.

1. old_rookie

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,501
    For those that post videos on your YT channel and have text and stuff - what do you use?

2. powaynubs

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +737
    i dont post to a youtube but i do a lot of video editing and what not. depending on your operating system there'll be different softwares available. If you're just trying to do simple cuts with text and not alot else, then you should be fine with any editing software (I cant think of any softwares that don't offer services like that) if you want cool transitions and effects then that's a little more tricky. TLDR any software will work, there are lots of free softwares available on google and your computer

3. old_rookie

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,501
    For Windows - would like to have fades, add text, and one feature that seems rare is the ability to repeat a frame - or freeze? a frame. I checked out a few 'free' ones, but they either don't allow exporting videos or have a watermark. One I liked, but it was a yearly pay.

4. Werfless

Werfless The Coach ..RIP my friends
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +62,637
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    It's a shame windows media maker lost support. It was the simplest

5. Neuroshima

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,269
    I use an app call Youcut on my phone.

6. CraigSmith

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,834
    On my Mac I use iMovie. (free with Mac, iPhone or iPad)

iMovie works pretty well on iPhone and iPad too, though is harder to use on smaller screens. The phone and tablet versions are optimized for those devices.

For a PC Adobe Premier Elements. It's on sale for $70 through 6/26. Usually $100. Same as Photoshop elements.

When its not on sale Adobe Photoshop Elements (photo editing) and Premier Elements (video) can be purchased together at a bundle discount - $150 for both.

A lot of people gripe about the performance of their video editing software. When a vendor gives minimum recommended specifications, that really is a minimum. It usually is ok for 720p SD video and just barely good enough for 1080p HD. Some times. 4K requires a lot of resources.

The more RAM you have, faster multi-core processor, and faster video card the better. Also having SSD instead of spinning hard drive helps quite a bit.

#6 CraigSmith, Jun 25, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2022
  7. CraigSmith

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,834
    Adobe Premier Elements can do those things.

So can iMovie.

8. Hakkeyoi

Hakkeyoi Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Shotcut is 100% free and can do all the things you listed. It may not be too intuitive though and might require some tutorial watching.

9. old_rookie

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,501
    I have a Mac mini but it’s old and use my windows computer for work so I’ll need to skip iMovie for now. I will give shotcut a try. Isn’t Adobe products an annual pay?

10. CraigSmith

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,834
    Photoshop Elements and Premier Elements are one time payments. But they usually stop providing updates for a version after about two years. The software will continue to work after that.

Its the full versions targeted to pros and advanced amateurs that offered on a subscription only basis.

If you use Premier Elements it should be useful for a few years. The only reason to upgrade is if a new video format is introduced that is not supported by an older version or it becomes incompatible with an operating system update.

I have been using Photoshop Elements as one of my photo editing tools for many years and still have a 2017 version on my Mac. It works fine except the version of ACR (adobe camera raw) that is packaged with it wont open the RAW files from my newer Nikon camera bodies. Still works with jpeg and tiff fine.

A couple of other free video editors for Windows to look at are DaVinci Resolve (there is also a paid version with a lot more capability) and Video Pad. Doesnt cost anything to try except your time.