Vietnam Veterans Day

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Fishin_Buddy, Mar 29, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fishin_Buddy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +463
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  2. Larry M

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,837
    Name:
    Larry M
    What a crock of.....
    The POW/MIA flags are all about the men and women who joined the military and served.
    If they disagree with the military that's one thing, but to disrespect the men and women who serve is a totally different matter. I believe that there are a lot more x-military people that vote then the LGBTQ community.

3. old_rookie

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,347
    Looks like a Baskin-Robbins flag to me. I thought the LGBTQ+ flag is a rainbow flag?

4. Larry M

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,837
    Name:
    Larry M
    I looked at it again, maybe it's just for the transgender folk among us. Maybe every other group will have their own flag flying under the rainbow flag.

5. Neuroshima

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,118
    Thank you to all Vietnam Vets. This is change of flags is unfortunate, although some dems are displaying both. A bit ironic, because the protest is so that transgenders CAN become veterans.

Were you as upset when Republicans blocked a bill to fund those same vets suffering from agent orange exposure?

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  6. Larry M

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,837
    Name:
    Larry M
    Thanks for bringing this up, I didn't know about it. And thats not right either. That's what I like about the Lounge different facts are brought to light.
    I for one don't have a problem with the LGBTQ community serving in the military. There was a gay person in 1965 that I served with and no one had a problem. Had gay and lesbian people where I worked also, no problem there either. At lunch time ate lunch and played cards together.
    Do I agree with their lifestyle, not really.
    Probably going to offend some here, but I don’t care for all gay flaunting that goes on at times. But thats just me.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. Neuroshima

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,118

Thank you for your service, Larry.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. Larry M

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,837
    Name:
    Larry M
    To be honest here I didn't join out of patriotic duty. Joined at 17 to get away from situation at home. But I I did enjoy it and received a good education in electronics at the Navy school.

9. old_rookie

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,347
    I bet you are not alone....
    Ohm's law? Powers law?
    Thevenin's equivalent (or was that theorem?)

10. Larry M

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,837
    Name:
    Larry M
    I had to look that last one up.
    I don't really recall it, but that school was back in 1963. LOL

11. swings are free

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,671
    Doesn't matter why, as long as you did your duty and served with honor . Then you did your country proud.

12. Larry M

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,837
    Name:
    Larry M
    Thanks

13. Bobber

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,563
    My father was a Marine for 25 years and fought in Korea and Nam. I really wish now I would have spoken to him on this issue before he passed. I figure the important thing would be if you are a good soldier not what your sexual preference is. Everyone served with gays, they just didn't necessarily know it. Do they need separate recognition? Do they need a special flag? WHY? Just be a soldier.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  14. kyle12345

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,117
    Name:
    Kyle
    Larry M Thank you for your service. To all our Veterans frankly.

I highly doubt this action was intentionally done to upset Veterans or to provide a figurative slap in their face. Unfortunately the Trans community suffers alarmingly high suicide rates and rates of violence against them, I believe the purpose of this action was to raise awareness of issues within that community. Ultimately I wish they would not have removed the POW/MIA flag, but kept all three up (including the American flag).

15. Neuroshima

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,118
    The action was in support of a House vote to condemn Trump's ban on trangenders serving in the military. Dem Adam Smith is displaying all 3 flags. Bernie replaced the flag, but don't forget that he brought forward a bill for $21B for Veterans health benefits, which was blocked by Reps.

The closest I came to serving was a taking an ROTC class in college. I just couldn't commit. Thankfully our country is full of patriotic Americans who put their lives on the line for my family's and my freedom, and that commitment should trump ( :) ) whatever sexual orientation they prefer.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. Ram-Rod

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,813
    What I don't get about the military is how come you can take group showers with a bunch of dudes but not with women too? I mean there's definitely gonna be some gay guys in there peter gazing.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  17. Fishin_Buddy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +463
    Speaking from experience here. Picture this...you and 177,000 of your brothers and sisters in arms invade a country. You’re kicking *** and taking names. You go further faster than any other US invasion. Then there is a problem. A sandstorm, literally of biblical proportions, brings everything to a halt. Then came the rain that turned the dirt into peanut butter. All of this ended up slowing the supply convoys, and in turn we ended up chilling on a highway in Iraq for a couple of days with very little water and little food. Now what happens when the tranny in your platoon starts running out of meds?

18. Fishin_Buddy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +463
    Sure...throw a bunch of young reproductive age people in a shower together. Should be fine right?

19. kyle12345

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,117
    Name:
    Kyle
    Thank you for your service first off. Hard for me to respond as I am not ex-military and thus don't know anything about what things are like, the only thing is why would they run out of meds for a few day delay? What would others do, surely others take meds in the military too?

20. salt water guy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,510
    Boat:
    Montauk
    It has nothing to do with capability, readiness or costs. It’s all a political smokescreen for the “base” that Trump is desperate to hold on to. Certain constituencies have a big problem with the LBGTQ community. VP Pence would be exhibit A of this type of bigotry.

Interesting how (former) SECDEF, USMC General Mattis, the CJCS, and other top brass didn’t seem to have a problem with any of this…

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/...ord-no-harm-to-unit-from-transgender-service/

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List