Vietnam War/ Veterans

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Moose, Nov 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moose

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +106
    I just watched a Discovery Channel special called "Inside the Vietnam War". Being 42 I'm was too young to really understand what was going on then. I never really knew what a mess that was and to find out that, in the end, it was basically all for nothing is heartbreaking. To find out that the North Vietnamese eventually took everything that our soldiers died for really sucks!

I know we have a lot of young people who visit this site. I hope that we all take a minute to think about what some of our veterans had to face and endure for us to have our freedoms, like coming on here and whining about our politicians. I also hope we never take these freedoms for granted. [​IMG]

2. Jimmyz123

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +134
    I agree with you Moose.

If you research the Vietnam War you'll see that it really started getting going near the end of WWII. It didn't really heat up until about the 60s.

What bothers me the most about that war, or situation or whatever some want to call it, is that when the troops came home, they were booed; they were disrespected, and treated like you know what. It was the leaders of our country at the time that sent them, it was not the choice of the military men, it was our leaders, yet the troops took the flack for that.

Many will argue that we should have never been involved in that war, and maybe they are right, but we were involved and the vets from that war should be honored just as much as the vets from WWII and Korea or any war. Remember all, it's not the soldiers that wage the wars, it's our Leaders waging the war and using our military men and women to fight that war. My dad had 3 tours in Vietnam, sure he was on the flight deck of a carrier, but he was still in a dangerous place. I’m glad that he’s still here. Many kids my age can’t say that about some of their dads that were on the ground there in Vietnam. My best friend’s dad to this day has flashbacks to tank battles that he was involved in.

God bless your veterans past, present, and future.

3. Roy Justice

Roy Justice Original Member
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +99
    the real disappoinment is in the words of general Giap the leading commander of the North Vietnamese armies, "What we still don't understand is why you Americans stopped the bombing of Hanoi. You had us on the ropes. If you had pressed us a little harder, just for another day or two, we were ready to surrender! It was the same at the battles of TET. You defeated us! We knew it, and we thought you knew it.
    But we were elated to notice your media was definitely helping us. They were causing more disruption in America than we could in the battlefields. We were ready to surrender. You had won!"

So close to vistory and yet we caved to public dissent and protests of the war and instead we ran away with our tails between our legs and left many south vietnamese to die at the hands of the VC when we fled. They were hanging on to the struts on the choppers trying to get away, they fled in boats they went to cambodia and were victims of Khmer Rouge.
    Probably exactly the same thing is about to happen in Iraq.

"General Võ Nguyên Giáp, who was the commander of the North Vietnamese army, has published his memoirs. He has confirmed what most Americans either knew or suspected. The war in southeast Asia was not lost in Vietnam. It was lost here at home. The American media, enabling and functioning as symbiots for the John Kerry anti-war gaggle accomplished in a few short years what Giap could not do in three decades of fighting. "

4. Jimmyz123

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +134
    We were winning the battles but lost the war. Our media at the time were making the soldiers look bad and that's why they were so poorly treated. I see some of that happening now, with the story of the puppy that was mistreated, I agree it was wrong, but those stories will stick more in the minds of the people than the stories of the soldier taking a bullet for a fellow soldier. I hope that we cheer our troops coming home and not shun them. I hope they are left to get the job done, and not brought back too early.

5. Moose

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +106
    The fact that the soldiers that fought over there were ostrasized by the public for fighting a war that they had no choice in fighting is appalling. They went over there and risked life and limb on a daily basis yet got spat upon and cursed by the civilians here in America who didn't have the guts to do what the troops did. :angry:

6. gary

gary Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    that "war" or conflict broke up many a family. i've a cousin that i was really close to until i went over. when i volunteered for the second time, that was it. to this day, even at family gatherings, he will walk to other side of room if he can.
    we didn't ask for it, but had it shoved down our throats. the government did that. but most of us (until the last part of draftee
    s) went proudly. little did we know what would await us when we came home. we were told not to wear our uniforms when we came back. i had more fights the first week back in home town than i think i'd ever had there in my life. but now people are starting to realize and recognize that the people that served over there deserve recognition like the other great military people in the wars do.
    i thank all the people that do think of us survivors in a good way. WE, and i mean WE thought and believed we were stopping the commy way from comming over to the us.
    these posts prior this i take personally and thank you about them. about time people say nice things about that war. and to the guys that were there, it was a war.
    gary

7. SgtMaj

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +149
    It seems like so long ago.
    I wasn't ordered to the 'Nam per se. I went in in '72, did my training, was posted to a unit untill Oct of '74, when I was ordered into the FMF WESPAC (fleet marine force, western pacific). We (the fleet)spent from Dec of '74 through May of '75 steaming inside the demarkation line around Yankee Station. That qualified me for the Vietman Service Medal. That's as close as I got. My war came much later.

You know, I can still remember the serial numbers of the 1st rifle I was issued by the Corps.............35 years ago.

Gunny, pick it up after me: "This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me my rifle is useless. Without my rifle I am useless...................."

THAT right there is what seperates the Corps from the other branches of service.

Let's be frank here: it's nice to get kudos from people. And from people who never served. But it was NEVER about you people, the civilians. Never. Not in 1776, not in 1861, not in 1941, not in 1968, not in 1990, not in 1993, not ever and not today! With us it was ONLY about the guy to the right and left of you. The fireteam. The squad. The platoon. The company ect, ect, ect.

I still have deeper feelings for some of the people I served with than I do for my own flesh and blood brothers and sister.

To all the Vets today, from all the branches of service..........my compliments!

8. Fishbreath

Fishbreath Fishing tales told here....some true.
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,573
    This seems to be a chance to get a few things off one's chest. It wasn't just the civilians who ostracized us. The VFW chapters resisted for years to include Vietnam vets. Apparently, theirs were better wars than ours. I was a captain by the time I went to Vietnam, and like during most wars, the Air Force always had the best deal. I was assigned to 7th Air Force Headquarters in Saigon(sorry, Ho Chi Minh City) and had private, air conditioned quarters with a mamasan to clean and do my laundry. Even though I did not experience the personal horrors that many did, I lost friends, comrades, and relatives. My brother-in-law still suffers from post traumatic stress. On his second tour as a marine, he lost every single other person in his platoon to an ambush. He would have been there too except for the fact that he was on R&R. I would not want to live with his nightmares. But enough of that, I salute all veterans. Have a great day!

9. Roy Justice

Roy Justice Original Member
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +99
    some of us were armed and some of us weren't. what I had was more valuable than a gun and I could shoot it just as accurately, ,it was morphine and I carried a lot of ABD pads. I could stop a sucking chest wound, put my finger in an artery, tracheotomize a throat, entubate a lung start an IV and perform drastic life saving measures until we reached the ER. Here's a cold one to all of us who came back in one piece.

10. gary

gary Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    sgtmaj, there are certain things in my memory that doesn't work. i honestly don't remember the rest of the chant. i do remember the serial number of my rifle though. 2410853. somthing i'll never forget.
    i'll never forget my brothers in arms out there! i've still a few friends alive from that time and keep in touch. most are great people. some have problems and call at all times of the night.
    but i feel that these that are now trying to honor us deserve to be recognized. i've been spit on, called baby killer, murderer, raper, and all sorts of things are not true. had family members turn on me, and that really hurt.
    i did almost 2 1/2 yrs there and damn proud of every minute of it. did from 68 - 71. seen the fall and helped in the evacuation of it. didn't understand a lot of it and still don't.
    but do know that i do like that people are starting to recognize us as vets. (not that i really give a crap).
    i'm sorry, but this is touch subject for me. very touchy.
    gary

11. Moose

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +106
    SgtMaj, I realize what you are saying about it not being about the civilians. I won't say I understand it because having never been in tha armed services, let alone in a nightmare like combat, there is no way I could possibly understand the feelings of a combat veteran. It may not have been about us, but without the veterans that did serve in combat, our lives could be a whole lot different today. For that I say thank you.[​IMG]

12. PAL

PAL New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Gary, those of us who followed in your bootsteps owe your generation a debt - many of my fellows acknowledge it, but I suspect you haven't heard it enough. Thank-you! Those who emerged from Vietnam forged one hell of a sharp sword.

And Doug, you proud SOB (like a Jarhead would be anything else) - this Army leg can recite his weapon serial number to this day. There's more than one combat arm - and sure, Marines enjoy the privilege of doing more with less. But otherwise, there's a lot of truth in your words.

13. frenchman

frenchman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +14
    To all the veterans and those who are currently in the military/armed forces, Thank you.