Virgin SD Bay Float Tube Outing

Discussion in 'Bay Fishing' started by adingfish, Jan 2, 2012.

1. adingfish

adingfish Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +7
    So I have been wanting to try float tubing SD Bay for a while now, and tomorrow will be the day. Any advice on launch points or areas that lend themselves better to float tubers. I will be flyfishing, but may bring a conventional rod as well. Are you required to wear a PFD?
    Thanks.

2. weldon

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,120
    Try Tidelands beach next to the Coronado bridge for easy launching and there is always fish there. Fish on a rising tide, move up just off the rocks (shallow) then go down the middle of the channel (deep)from the last yellow buoy to under the bridge. Crank in over the tops of the weeds or try bouncing off the sandy bottom. Use 1/4,3/8, 1/2 oz weedless jigheads with a 3 1/2"-4" swimbait or curly tail plastics in chartruse, rootbeer, brown, green, red with semiclear sparkle bodies slathered with scent (Hotsauce)with 6lb-8lb test. Also try a shallow diving (3ft) bass plug if the weeds are not too thick. With a flyrod use floating line and a long leader over the grass beds or a sinking line in the deeper area in the channel or around the moored boats. Last time I went I got 9 spotties and one keeper halibut in a 2 hr session. ALWAYS HAVE A PFD WITH YOU when tubing. Good luck.

3. Fishtricks

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,423
    In a couple months I will be a foam frog fly flinging maniac. You shall join me, no?

4. adingfish

adingfish Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Weldon: Thank you for your advice. I fished off Tidelands for a few hours this morning and had a blast. I only managed 4 lizard fish, but those were my first flyrod saltwater fish so I was pretty happy (caught on Clousers I tied to boot). I will definitely be doing a lot more of it, awesome way to fish. Thanks again.

Fishtricks: I would definitely be game for some frog flingin and floppin, let me know.