Wader repair day

Discussion in 'Float Tubing' started by dmorgan3, Mar 5, 2021.

1. dmorgan3

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,779
    I fish from a float tube most weekends, every wader (including high end models) gets leaks sooner or later. Illustrated below is my method to fix leaks. First, put small straps thru buckles on waders, then loop big strap around branch thru small straps. Fill with water to knee high, mark leaks with Sharpie or white wax pencil (on the black neoprene). Leaks in neoprene are fixed with Plasti Dip (brush on), leaks in rest of the wader (usually seams) are fixed with Seam Grip (best) or Goop. The pair of waders in the pics has already seen a repair already. Fixing 2 pairs today (always good to have a backup pair). Will sometimes patch both inside and outside surfaces to be sure. Waders are drying now for preparation for applying Plasti Dip or Seam Seal. Usually find several pin hole seeps by the time I repair them but that's all it takes to get sopping wet feet.

Waders full.jpg Wader adhesive.jpg Waders adhesive1.jpg

• Like Like x 8
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  2. Easy619

Easy619 Tug Addict
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +9,043
    Name:
    Eric
    Very helpful, thanks for posting. I was planning on taking my tube out for the first time tomorrow, however my surf session this morning made it apparent I have a leak or two in the waders. Not a big deal in the surf but could be problematic in the tube I imagine. Going to try and locate and repair leaks this afternoon

3. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,069
    First things first... DM3, I do the same thing with my waders !! I never thought I'd see another fisherman that hung his waders from a tree or anything else high up and fill the interior with water to do leak checks. I add one little thing when I do that.. I add blue or red food coloring to the water so that when the water leaks out I can see the origin better.

Easy... You may already know about this.. a little trick my daddy taught me when I was younger. It accomplishes two goals.. one, to keep your feet dry as possible. And two, its so much nicer when your feet just slip right into those neoprene booties. Get two small office-trash can-sized trash liners. The thin (not the reusable) Vons/Albertsons/Ralphs grocery bags will work in a pinch as well. Slide your thin sock covered foot into the plastic bag and slide it into your neoprene booties. Magic.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. dmorgan3

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,779
    I have put on waterproof socks before putting waders on, that works too. But liners are cheaper. When I lived in the cold Northeast as a kid, we would put bags in our boots to stay dry when out in the snow. I have some super puncture proof bags from when we had the house termite tented a few months ago that I might try. Thanks for the tip.

I intend to try using a vacuum leaner on the inflate fitting to blow up waders and spray down with bubble mix to see how well that works too. Something like Valley angler invents device to easily test for wader holes .

5. dmorgan3

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,779
    "cleaner" not "leaner" above.

6. Easy619

Easy619 Tug Addict
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +9,043
    Name:
    Eric
    I filled my waders with water in the shower and almost blew out by back checking them hahaha. Tree tether next time. I didnt spot any noticeable leaks, must just be waves smashing me in the chest and soaking down, mine are loose on the chest and waist. We'll see on the tube..