Want to get the big bay open for tubing?

Discussion in 'Float Tubing' started by carpkiller, Apr 24, 2020.

1. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,760
    Here is the deal.
    Fishing opportunies will be opening up soon.
    Here's the deal.
    If one of you web wizards puts the paragraphs below into an online petition...I will sign it and get it to the port commissioners. We need names and your community of residence and an email or phone number from each person.
    By the time we have 20 names or so, it may be a moot point.
    But on the other hand...how bad would it suck to see all kinds of other water recreation opened up...but have tubing and paddleboard fishing left off the list of conforming/allowed uses?
    If we don't ask, we are invisible.
    PM me if you can create a petition for us.
    Thanks,
    Rob (CK) Hall

Petition text:

Float tubing fishing represents social distancing at its most basic. Float tubes only hold one person. Each of them stays away from other fishermen...the point is to be able to fish the water around your tube and give the other guy or gal room to work their own water. Float tubes are launched from rocks or from the sand. No lines, no crowds at ramps or docks.
    Also, float tubing is great exercise, whether powered by swim fins or oars. Because the wind and current push tubes around, the person in the tube has to kick or row to get to the spot. Once there, there's more work to stay in place and to face the desired direction.
    Fishing from a paddleboard has the same avantages in terms of exercise and social distancing.
    We the undersigned are asking that when considering aquatic activities that align with the directives from federal, state and local public health agencies, please include float tube fishing and paddleboard fishing along with swimming, kayaking, and paddleboarding.
    Thank you.

2. dmorgan3

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,793
    Totally agree with you but the bay (at least SD city) is to be opened up Monday to kayaks and paddleboards, no prohibition against fishing from same. I am assuming float tubes too for all the reasons you mention.

Different question: you ever catch carp from a float tube? They spook real easy, would love to catch some big ones that way. Even bow and arrow would be good enough. Would like to know how.

3. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,760
    Where are you getting information that the bay will open monday? As of midnight last night neither the city nor the port district had issued any such information. I know the city had laid out a phase 1 plan last week that included opening ramps and half the parking there? Do you have a link to the latest? Thanks.

Edit: woot woot. This morning the city got off the dime and opened some activities....

#3 carpkiller, Apr 25, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2020
  4. dmorgan3

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,793
  5. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,760
    Never got a carp from a tube. And not very good at catching them on purpose. Fishing w a friend years ago...trying to catch bass like he was and I kept getting carp after carp. "You're a real carp killer, dude."
    I do like carp because they are tough...and sometimes when you're chasing dink bass in a little creek you tie into a two foot carp....
    Thanks for the link...good to see things going inthe right direction.

6. BILL NELSON

BILL NELSON Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +203
    Carp in a tube:
    I was at Big Bear a couple of years ago - water was low, and dirty - no trout - but the carp were on the spawn in the shallows - I would launch and get close with no problem - floating line, indicator, and a dark bugger - I was worn out on the 6 weight - long fights, lots of drag - dried out the backing a few times - a very memorable experience

7. dmorgan3

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,793
    Makes me want to get good at fly casting, I am about the worst in the world right now. Spawn is a good time as they are packed in the shallows and still feeding (unlike bass). Lots of them at Hodges during the spawn followed by Sutherland and then Morena spawns so probably 1-2 months of spawn fishing. SD River has lots of carp too.

Big Bear is phenomenal for carp from what I have heard. They have a bow fishing tournament there every spring (spawn time), you can see big ones swimming around the docks in the summer. When fox farming (for pelts) was big in the area, they used to go out net thousands of pounds of carp for feeding foxes (carp were introduced in the lake for that reason).

Dirty water may have made it easier to approach the carp or maybe the spawn makes them less cautious. Or both. They sure can be skittish in clear water other times of the year.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,760
    You're not the worst in the world.
    I tried a little fly fishing in the bay from a friend's boat and got a few smelt and spotties. Sooner or later will try it from the tube.
    Chula Vista previously indicated their closures would run through the end of April....hoping the Port District gets on board this week as well.

9. dmorgan3

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,793
  10. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +25,268
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Did not see anything about parking. That is where they get you.

And why is it not possible to sit or lie on the beach more than 6' apart? How do they make this stuff up?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  11. BILL NELSON

BILL NELSON Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +203
    Does anyone know when the parking lots are due to open up?
    Tube and gear make no parking a challenge

12. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +25,268
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    That's the idea! The appearance of giving us something, but in reality, no!

13. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,760
    Yikes, Paul, it's almost like you haven't read an article or watched a news report on TV. :emoji_grin:

The beach access is for excercising on the beach and in the water. If you are sitting on a towel working on your tan you aren't exercising.

The closed parking lots are in the same vein.

Whether you agree with it or not, the point of reopening parks was so people who live nearby can walk to the park in their own neighborhood.
    No parking lot needed for that.

A yakker who can find street parking and push his cart down a sidewalk can get a bit more exercise. Gotta go early. If you have a big tube, or a small one that is fully rigged it's tough.

Maybe ditch the fishfinder and big rod rack...and only bring one rod?

And, as the authorities [city of sd] have said, they can close an area if a bunch of people show up and ignore the distancing rules.

#13 carpkiller, Apr 29, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  14. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +25,268
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    And they will have drone footage to prove their point! :emoji_dizzy_face:

Be careful Rob you tongue will get permanently lodged in your cheek!