Wed 7/15 Barrett Bummer

Discussion in 'Barrett Reports' started by bluegillman, Jul 15, 2020.

1. bluegillman

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +535
    Name:
    Aqualung
    Not a whole lot to say, slow day doesn't even cut it. 5 bites, managed 1 fish on topwater worst Barrett day I've had yet. On the plus side a lot less people out.

• Like Like x 5
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  2. bassman2008

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +85
    Sounds like a rough day. July can be difficult at Barrett sometimes. I think a lot of the fish are out suspended in deep water and are therefore much more difficult to catch. Hopefully things get better as I will be out there next Wednesday. How was the weather out there?

3. otay michael

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,013
    Had a friend report only one on opening day. July can be very tough there.

4. Oscar-Mike

Oscar-Mike Member

Ratings:
    +44
    Boat:
    Jackson
    That's a bummer. I've had those days at Barrett as well. Even got skunked once. Last weekend was a different story. We had tickets both Saturday and Sunday. Went up into Pine on Saturday. Saw lots of yakkers. Caught some fish in the shallows. But we noticed the bass were hitting bait on the surface. We thought the bass were hitting insects, but later discovered it was schools of shad. So we changed out our gear to (1) anything that resembles shad (I only had a 3" white swimbait) and (2) classic Texas rig senko. As soon as we saw a boil in the surface, we threw our bait on the spot of the boil. After a twitch or two, the bass would hit. Super fun. The boils were nowhere near the shore. The fishfinder said we were in 10-20 feet of water the whole time. One time I saw a bass swimming about 5 feet from my yak, about 1-2 ft deep. I pitched a white swim bait and, jigged it twice, and he was on. We hit the same spot up in Pine immediately on day 2. (I'll attach a map.) The bite was very consistent throughout the morning until the wind picked up around 10"30 and we couldn't stay on the spots, nor could we spot the boils due to the chop. The crowds on Saturday were completely gone on Sunday. We were in the area just short of the shallow cove with all the weeds and shrubbery. (BTW, while bass were hitting bait on the surface, we had zero luck with topwater poppers. They loved the senko and the tiny plastics, and even had good success with spinner baits running 1-3 feet below surface....). Definitely a different Barrett experience for us. As for fish count, I maybe caught 25-30 for the entire weekend, but I'm certain I saw other dudes on the same spot catch that in a day. Hope this helps anyone heading out there this weekend or next. No one should make that trip for just one bass.

Tight lines.

Barrett Map.png

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
    • List
  5. toolbox

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,950
    Very cool, adding in some Wolfpack’s can make any day great!