Went to the beach again after our skiff sesh

Discussion in 'Surf, Piers, & Jetties' started by TreeCatcher, Jun 2, 2020.

1. TreeCatcher

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,478
    Went on a skiff with my friend and my son. He landed a nice 18 inch hali on a live anchovy. We landed quite a handful of spotties and sandies. The fish definitely didn’t like dines. Hands down anchovies are the best live bait in the bays in my opinion. After the skiff we went to l the same beach I caught those barless White Sea bass. I was throwing the same lure, lucky craft cherry berry. Stayed about 30 minutes because the crowd was getting thick. Life guards saw my son and I fishing and a few other people fishing and didn’t bother any one of us. About 20 cast in, I get this thud. I thought I was stuck for a second but then it started to move. Immediately I knew it was a hali. It gave me a decent fight and actually popped off an inch of water. I had to react fast so I ran between open water and the fish and did one big scoop and landed it two feet away on dry land where I was able to grip its tail and lock down the catch. I didn’t bring my tape so I cpred it. I had a feeling it was legal, but let it grow anyways. I took a comparison picture so I’ll let you guys be the judge. Tight lines guys.

CB4EE7F6-7DAA-40DF-BA7F-F312E129E2A5.jpeg

B7532E25-0BFD-48AB-BBBA-E281BF02234B.jpeg

2. Dry Fly Rie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,074
    Fun stuff.

3. oldfogey

oldfogey Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4,478
    Name:
    Mike
    Based on your pictures it looks like 23" from tip of front grip to butt of your rod. The fish looks a hair shy of that to me. I would have released it too just because it's so close the fish cops might argue it with you.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. oldfogey

oldfogey Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4,478
    Name:
    Mike
    Based on your pictures it looks like 23" from tip of front grip to butt of your rod. The fish looks a hair shy of that to me. I would have released it too just because it's so close the fish cops might argue it with you.

5. Easy619

Easy619 Tug Addict
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,697
    Name:
    Eric
    Nice work brotha! I also have a gx2 9' and have used it to measure halis... past the front grip good to go! Gotta love that thud...I think every good sized halibut I've caught felt like a snag...until it comes to life

6. YuriSD

YuriSD Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +109
    You can do some small markings with the WhiteOut on the rod in case you forget the tape next time

7. TreeCatcher

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,478
    Yea I definitely cpred this one! Didn’t want to get hassled especially after the first day beaches opened to surf fishing. I’m sure game wardens were lurking somewhere.

8. TreeCatcher

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,478
    I love this rod too especially for the price! Been buying these rods for the last few years. I do want to get another Shimano Clarus. The first one I loved it but then it got stolen right out my back yard along with my shark pole, shark bag and surf bag. Worse nightmare. -_-

9. Easy619

Easy619 Tug Addict
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,697
    Name:
    Eric
    It throws an LC pretty well and will absolutely bomb a 1oz crig or dropshot. Only gripe is a tad heavy and not much tip to twitch a lure. It plays a solid fish very well though. I recently picked up an okuma sst 9' m for surf chucking the lucky craft..pretty nice rod. The 9 gx2 still has a place in my heart is my go-to for bombing 1oz. 40$ it's hard to beat
    ..I got mine for 30$ on sale at amazon a few years back. At that price the value is insane lol. I'm a big fan of the ugly inshore select rods too, have the M and MH and fish them regularly.

10. TreeCatcher

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,478
    Couldn’t agree with you more! I love chucking one oz drop shots to outer space! Don’t even get me started with metals for bonies off the jetty! I also got mine for 30 but from big5 or it could of been Walmart. They go on sale often and if I see one on sale, I get the urge to get it.

11. Easy619

Easy619 Tug Addict
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,697
    Name:
    Eric
    I've thought about buying another 1 or 2 in the case they were to ever go extinct. Probably won't happen, but for what it does it does it very well. I dont like the regular 7' type gx2, but the 9 has something else going on. I have a penn Battle on mine, pretty much the same reel as the BG. Heavy reel, but it balances well on the long and slightly heavy gx2 9. Anyways, nice work as always brotha glad to see your reports again

12. Saltnewbie

Saltnewbie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +457
    Name:
    Brad
    Sounds like fun!