What’s the point?...

Discussion in 'General Fishing' started by JFF, Dec 31, 2019.

1. JFF

JFF
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +198
    Braid to a leader. Why? Easier to cast? Just to fill the spool?

I understand for line visibility but I’m sure there is more too it. I would assume adding a leader would mean more weak points (knots) and more chances for one to lose a fish. Does the 65 pound braid on a 25 pound leader really make a difference from just having a full spool of 25 pound line?

Is it strictly to fill the spool with a smaller diameter line (braid) to get more line on the spool?

Are there certain conditions where this is more suitable? I.e - kelp, punching grass, fishing tules, heavy cover, heavy baits.

Is straight braid not normal? Maybe not for Miramar clear water reservoir but perhaps a murky Santee lake.

I have a bad habit of losing lures. And an even worse habit buying expensive baits. I’d feel more comfortable throwing a Dep’s on straight braid than braid to leader or just a 20-25 pound mono/flouro.

I’m sure I could GOT (google that sh*t) but I prefer insight from my local community.

Lastly, how long should the leader be? A few feet or a few yards?

Thanks in advance.

#1 JFF, Dec 31, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2019
  2. bassgalrascal

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,348
    I have caught a lot of fish on straight braid line. That being said, it still is very susceptible to breaking in rocks and other hard, abrasive structure. It's strong point is how it can knife through heavy vegetation, and how sensitive it is to being able to detect what's going on on the bottom, and if the bait is getting a subtle bite.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  3. swings are free

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,216
    I only use a mono leader on topwater walking baits.

4. Queue

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,529
    Boat:
    SR-18
    I throw mono or copoly with a 12-18”, 50-65 lb braid leader connected with an 80 lb swivel because I got tired of losing baits when stripers gator roll. Their operculum has a razor sharp edge that slices through anything other than braid. I’ve even landed fish that became lassoed when the hooks pulled and sinched up around their head somehow. They don’t seem to care. I catch greenies too.

5. Dylan 101

Dylan 101 Dylan 101
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,668
    Name:
    Dylan
    Boat:
    wish I had 1
    On my spinning rod for bass I have 15lb braid to a 8lb Floro leader. Braid helps with sensitivity too. Leader helps with visibility also.

6. Werfless

Werfless The Coach ..RIP my friends
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +62,643
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Braid is for vegetation and fish that have hard mouths and don't fight hard (bass), or for fishing a long distance from you. Fluoro is for scenarios you need a rapid sink rate. Mono is an all around line or for areas with heavy abrasion potential. I use mono unless I am fishing bass (rare), light flyline setups (rare), or far from me (rare).

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  7. Baywolf

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,601
    Name:
    Perry
    Braid is less resistant to line twist, but more prone to tip wrap. I use braid for float fishing rivers because it’s more buoyant. I always use a shot of fluorocarbon (2 ft at least) for less visibility.

8. JFF

JFF
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +198
    Thank you all for the insight. The synopsis is, braid is great for strength, buoyancy and sensitivity. With a +/- 2’ leader of mono or fluorocarbon depending on what I am throwing.

I guess my next step is to do some research on the best leader knots.

9. Werfless

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +62,643
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    The Alberto knot (or it's synonyms/variants) is what the tuna guys use. I have never found bass to be line shy, just darken a foot or two of any bright color braid, you should be fine throwing swimbaits

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  10. oldfogey

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,467
    Name:
    Mike
    Most of the fishing i do is shorefishing Mission Bay and i go straight mono(Izorline XXX Co-polymer). I can cast it plenty far, don't have any problem feeling the bites etc. I guess I should partner up with some folks that fish braid and flourocarbon leaders and see how often they get bit more and land more fish than I do. Maybe i'm missing out....maybe not:emoji_smirk:

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  11. Double Minor

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,242
    I have good luck using a blood knot with the last 2' of braid colored black.

12. Easy619

Easy619 Tug Addict
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +10,307
    Name:
    Eric
    I use braid backing on my conventionals with 100-150 yards mono Topshop, for added capacity and cheapness of respooling just the top shot of mono very often. Only setups that I fish braid with short leader are for bottomfishing rockfish (for sensitivity), bonito splasher ( casting distance), and sandy beaches with no hard structure I've been trying it out on (for casting distance and ease of switching between 8# leaders for perch and 15# for luckycrafts). I run a pretty short leader for the LCs like 2 feet so the knot doesn't go through the guides . I Tie swivels for rockfish and bonito splasher, Alberto knot for direct line splice.I do most of my fishing with straight mono though, bay and rocky beaches or cliffs mono exclusively.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  13. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,059
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    I use mono as a mainstay in the surf . My smaller reels IE 200 / 250 size do have braid backing for capacity . I tried to use straight braid but found that the weave of the line allowed sand to infiltrate the fibers and wear the line out very quickly . Maybe a line with 8 carriers or more would help but I didn't ago that far in testing . Another anomally is that if you do get into the backing line which has only happened a few times for me , the lines is compressed into itself so much the it will hang up Etc when coming off the spool under drag almost like having a backlash . Just my experience with the braids I have tried . I like the sensitivity and the capacity but have started to use it only in open water or bottom fishing situations. WR

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  14. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +29,868
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    FG is not worth the trouble IMO.

15. mikecheck1212

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,727
    Where is Linebig , he’s an expert on this

16. Linebig

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +14,548
    Boat:
    Stratos 185XL Pro
    Braid, or braid and a leader or straight floro or mono...... well.... It comes down to what you have confidence in. If you feel adding a leader is needed then do it. However, yes it can be a weak spot after a while if its going in and out of eyelets. No matter what knot you tie its getting worn even if slightly. Re-tying like any lure is key. Add a new leader a couple times through out the day.

in my view the leader should be no longer than 6ft. There is no need for a longer leader than that. I never want it wound on my spool or going through my micro guides. I stick with 2.5-3ft leaders. Knots and micro guides are not friendly.

Most people add leaders to allow different techniques with the same rod. 20 pound braid and 8 pound leader to drop shot. Or 50 pound braid and 20 pound leader for top water and so on.

For me, the only time I add a leader is for San V while fishing close to shore and I add a much heavier leader than my main line braid on my spinning rods only. 5 to 8 pound braid and 12-15 pound leader. Its for abrasion control of quagga in the shallows for V and for teeth. Its totally different than what most do. I learned in Austrailia while fishing down there. Its something they do all the time for bay fishing and inshore fishing. I use the RP knot. Super easy to tie and holds well.

There is a time for 15-20 pound floro only. Jigs, spinner baits and other metal baits like spoons and under-spins.

If reaction bait fishing, flipping, frogging, punching I feel zero need for a leader. My view only.

Open water reaction, zero need. Once again just my view on it.

yet I’ll defer back to what you have confidence in. That matters most.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  17. Kesepton

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +703
    I used to use braid to leader a lot. I was running 8# braid then down to 5# braid for casting distance using really light lures. I felt I needed a leader and would use a 2-4# leader no longer than the length of the rod, more likely 4-6ft. For salt water I ran 20# leader with whatever leader I needed.

NOW, I pretty much switched back to mono except for reaction bites. Messing with leaders was really starting to get annoying. And tying knots when you want to fish sucks. I dont know how many fish I lost after checking my hook knot only to set the hook on a fish and it breaks at the leader knot. Having to retie two knots was enough for me to stop.

For heavy fishing though, I do run 65# braid to get lots of capacity on a lighter reel.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  18. Slater

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,646
    What Linebig said
    Green bass fishing im assuming, ill never fish mono again, that stuff has sooooo much stretch & way less sensativity compared to any braid.
    All my bass reels are crammed full of braid & I use a small swivel to attach my leader just cuz over time if you keep retying your leader ultimately / eventually your reel will no-longer be full of braid.....
    I still catch fish with a dumb swivel....
    When I throw swimbaits, no swivel!
    5-50lb braid to 8-25lb leader a uni to uni knot is all you really need & super simple to tie.
    All my salt gear I tie a tony pena knot where its a uni on the mono side & 10 wraps up / 10 down on the braid side.
    When fishing braid if a bass just sneezes on your bait, you will know....

theres 2 basic braid make-ups "spectra" which is power pro brand, very popular but not as smooth as "dyneema" which is Diawa J Braid & amogst a few others..
    Dyneema is way smoother to fish over power pro.
    Not very important as all my salt gear is full of pp but when it comes to my fw gear smoothness / pleasure of fishing is part of the enjoyment....

#18 Slater, Jan 4, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  19. Werfless

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +62,643
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Lol... I am staying quiet for the most part in this thread, saw something hilarious on YT the other day about this.. don't mind me...

20. CraigSmith

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,845

Spectra and Dyneema are the same thing. DSM High Performance Fibers, a Dutch company developed the first Gel Spun or GsP fibers. “Dyneema” is their protected trade name. DSM entered into an agreement with a Japanese company, Toyobo Textile Company to create a joint enterprise called Nippon Dyneema to produce lines. They also entered into a similar agreement with The American company Allied Signal (later acquired by Honeywell) to produce the material in the US. Allied Signal adopted the trade name “Spectra” for the same material. Spectra fell behind Dyneema a bit in development but with the acquisition of Allied Signal by Honeywell this seems to have changed. There is a bit more to the story but the the way the line behaves depends more on how it is woven/fused together than whether it is Dyneema or Spectra. Source: “Braids and Gelspun Superlines: The evolution of a fishing breakthrough” by Rod Harrison. Rod is one of the most famous Australian anglers of the last 50 years and knows his stuff and has been involved in the development and testing of superlines including Platypus Bionic Braid, which I think is only available in Australia now. The book goes into a lot of detail on the finer details of dyneema/spectra and how it is formed into lines in the first 20 or so pages. The rest of the book has some stuff on knots and rigging (as of 2011 publishing date), Australian fishing techniques, and other stuff, not all of which is specific to braids. Aside from the first 20 pages, most of the info is easily found in many other sources. By the way Dyneema/Spectra fibers are also used to create body armor.

I usually use a short mono leader of 3-6 feet on my braid, except for tuna, dorado and such where I use a much longer topshot of nylon or flouro. . Most of the fish I use braid for are not leader shy, but like playing tug-o-war with a rock or snag and would rather just break off. I’m not using expensive swim baits and stuff.

#20 CraigSmith, Jan 5, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List