What’s your favorite Lake to camp and fish?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by bUtT_sEeKeR, Apr 29, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bUtT_sEeKeR

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +32
    Hey gang, I want to plan a camping trip this year and want to go somewhere other than the usual Jennings or Dixon. Preferably looking for some place fairly close(1hr drive max). Also plan on doing some fishing so campground must be walking distance or a very short drive to the lake. So Gang, where’s you’re favorite spot?

2. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +39,678
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Sorry.. 1.5 hours each way for me.. All the fishing, free camping, unlimited fire making spots. Abolutely loaded with fish out there and can fish 24/7 if you have any common sense at all...

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  3. Larry M

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,803
    Name:
    Larry M
    Check out Lake Hemet campground website.
    It's about 1 1/2 hours from Escondido.
    When we used to live near there we would fish for rainbows.

Screenshot_2019-04-30-07-51-28-1.png

4. camobass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,128
    Boat:
    It floats
    Lake Morena. Used to be epic remote camping but can still be great fishing and still has a great camp ground. plenty to do in the area. They have rental cabins too

lake cuyamaca too

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  5. 5spot

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +566
    Perris is fun...lots and lots of shore access and easy float tube launching plus boat rentals.

6. plako

plako Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +467
    I recall the lines waiting in front of a few and very bad toilets there but this was nearly 20 years ago. Hopefully they are more and better now.

7. Larry M

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,803
    Name:
    Larry M
    We used to live in Pine Cove which is just north of Idyllwild by a few miles.
    We had a federal park pass, there's a road right next to the campground north side. If you go to the federal park area you can fish for free, you don't have to pay at the store to fish in the lake. They also have restrooms there.
    This was around 1980 so I don't know if things have changed.
    There is a federal campground near the lake, primitive , you just drop your money in a drop box, like I said though that was in 1980. If you are in Idyllwild there's a federal parks office there to get permits and information.

8. Medicated fisherman

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,214
    Like werf said IV is epic but can be hot in the summer. You might want to check out Doane Pond. Beautiful place, lots of big pines. No permits you just need to have a campsite or pay the park fee. Plus you can take a short drive and check out the observatory and Lake Henshaw is just down the hill. Great hiking, deer everywhere. Trout, bullheads, green sunfish and bass (lots of small ones but a few nice ones in the mix). It is small enough you can get it dialed in in minutes. Good place to take the kids. Downside is because of it's size and limited shore access it can seem crowded at times with only a few people but if you're camping there will be plenty of times when no one will be fishing it.

#8 Medicated fisherman, May 1, 2019
    Last edited: May 1, 2019
  9. gct9

gct9 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +71
    I agree with doane pond there are lots of fish and they are easy to catch and there is the fire lookout and certain days you are allowed to go into the lookout and take a tour with the staff that mans the tower and remember bug spray because the mosquitoes are vicious in the evening