What 4s/RB Reservoir is this / has anyone fished it?

Discussion in 'Freshwater' started by nkamphoto, Oct 26, 2020.

1. nkamphoto

nkamphoto Active Member

Ratings:
    +73
    Name:
    Nathaniel
    Hey Everyone,

Been trying to find more places to fish in my area and came across this older reservoir in the RB/4s area. It is accessible from the three trail heads marked in green. There is a no trespassing area right by the dam but it does appear you can fish below the dam. I walked around the north side of the water but it's REALLY heavily overgrown, didn't look like anyone had fished in it years. Areas I tried but couldn't get into marked with red X.

Figured if anyone had there was a chance there were on here.

1. What reservoir is this?
    2. Anyone fished here before?

Place looks VERY fishy.

GPS -
    4S Ranch California 92127 32.999327, -117.102335

Capture.PNG

2. fishnfreak

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,630
    I have fished it a few times, many years ago. I caught some small fish, I launched near the dam, and float tubed it, using shiners.
    They may have drained it a few years ago, there was some construction there going on.it was a irrigation pond, there is alot of pipe and old oranges trees behind the dam.

3. nkamphoto

nkamphoto Active Member

Ratings:
    +73
    Name:
    Nathaniel
    Everything there except the fence by the dam looked pretty old / worn down where I was there (about 1 month ago). The fencing / barbed wire very new lol.

4. dmorgan3

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,969
    They drained it a few years ago, gets way overgrown with moss in the summer; has crappie, bullhead, bluegill and bass.

I went there once about 2 years after they drained it, got about 70 small bass (4-6") and one 3.5 lb bass. Guess I know what the big one was eating. Ought to have better fish now but haven't been there in at least 2 years.

5. nkamphoto

nkamphoto Active Member

Ratings:
    +73
    Name:
    Nathaniel
    I think the only way to fish it right now is on a float or kayak. It's gotta be at least 10-20ft through the brush to hit shoreline. Attached to the dam there was a make shift pontoon so I think someone was in there lol.

6. Dry Fly Rie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,694
    I think it's called Black Mountain Pond or some generic planning name like Pond 5-B on some old neighborhood and topography maps I came across years ago. I live close to it, so I've been twice to just check it out, but never fished it. I walked in from the neighborhood up above it to the east. There were no signs, but a perimeter fence that had been cut years before was easy enough to step through. A lot of local kids fish it, but more people just go up to hang out and throw things off the dam and add to the graffiti below it.

I know that it got drained about 5 years ago, as I talked with the contractor whose company was responsible for draining it and reinforcing the dam. He said as the water level got lowered, groups of people would come in with trash cans and remove tons of fish that were stuck in the shallow mud.

Within a year of re-filling, I know the pond had lots of small crappie (confirmed by one of my students who showed me pictures). If you can lug a tube up to it, that would be your best bet to access it as it's mostly overgrown with thick bushes. I believe you can cast off the dam, but it's pretty sketchy and it's a long drop if you fall.

The pond downstream just a bit definitely has some nice fish in it, but there are NO FISHING signs everywhere and they frequently get enforced by the Park Rangers.

Good luck!

7. cort

cort Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +677
    Boat:
    ProAngler 14
    My house is literally in your photo, I can see it from my yard. (We're above it on the hill)

First, the area is private property. I don't know who owns it, and it's surrounded mostly by chain link fence. You can get through the fence in a few areas where it has fallen down or holes have been cut in there.

All that said - I see kids fishing it quite a bit. They have some wooden raft they float out there, that they swim out to and get on. I think any adult would struggle to not break the thing in half. I've also seem some adults out there in float tubes.

No idea what they catch. As someone mentioned it gets heavily overgrown by late summer. It certainly is right now. The kids have been mostly absent recently too, probably as a result. In the evening, I can see fish activity as ripples in the pond. It's probably half a mile from my yard but we have a perfect view of it.

Earlier this year, we had a bit of a fire over the hill to the north of Bernardo Center Rd and there was a SD Fire helicopter sucking up water from the pond to drop onto it. He was making circuits in about 2 minutes, it was a pretty good show.

I think the easiest way to fish it is probably to walk onto the dam and fish there.

8. nkamphoto

nkamphoto Active Member

Ratings:
    +73
    Name:
    Nathaniel
    Great reports everyone! Yea without shore access wouldn't be able to fish on my side, even a fall from chicarita would freak me out. Will try to check it out again as the veg dies off but yea looks to have so much potential.

9. fishboy92

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,960
    It was somewhat of a hidden jewel many many years ago. My buddy and I would hit it religiously day and night that was before the fence and construction work. That pond was loaded with magnum size crappie and some very good bass. Lots of crayfish along side the tullies as well. We always just called it the 4s pond.

10. fish4bass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,068
    Back in the day when Carmel Valley was a old dirt road that took you from Penasquitos to Del Mar I used to 4x my Jeep over to that pond. It was private back then and I if I remember correctly it belonged to an old ranch that was back there. Haven't seen that pond in 45 years, didn't know it even still existed

11. nkamphoto

nkamphoto Active Member

Ratings:
    +73
    Name:
    Nathaniel
    There is definitely what looks like a ranch on the south and west sides, could potentially have included the neighborhood that is there now too. Sure wish there was some shore access there now a days, maybe we'll all get lucky and the veg will die off hard this winter.