What am I in for

Discussion in 'Lobster Fishing' started by fishguts, Sep 13, 2016.

1. fishguts

fishguts Member

Ratings:
    +11
    I am thinking about trying lobster nets at the pier in OB. I never have done it before but I really enjoy fishing at the pier with my kids. Im looking at the dates and I noticed the opener is on a sat. is it complete madness at the pier? how early do I have to be to get a good spot? Where is a good spot? Just a few questions I have if someone has been to the pier on opening night please let me know. Thanks

2. Cheese Whiz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,589
    I typically lobster from a boat instead of a pier, however I have a lot of friends that go to the piers and I've heard people camp out there literally all day to get a night-time spot, especially during the first few days. So be prepared for that possibility at least. I'm sure someone on here will jump on though and be able to speak to if that specific pier is like that. Good luck though! Let us know how you do.

3. SDzillaFish

SDzillaFish Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +65
    Name:
    Steve
    I don't even really like lobster that much, but i love dropping the hoops for some reason, i guess i caught the bug :D. Definitely the first couple of days on OB pier are utter madness in my experience. Even when you don't have anything in the hoop its still exciting pulling it up, like a lottery ticket for fish, i think most kids love it. Unfortunately in my experience the lobsters get most active after normal bedtimes, and weekdays are always less crowded then Fri-Sun. Good luck!!!

4. Lugazzy

Lugazzy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +104
    We went last year San Clemente pier and were surprised how crowded it was. There were a few families camped out with dads drinking beer and moms chasing after toddlers. You feel the excitement when bugs are pulled up.

Good luck to all!