What are some essential gear for surf fishing up in north county?

Discussion in 'Surf, Piers, & Jetties' started by the black lines, Jun 15, 2020.

1. the black lines

the black lines Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +106
    I have the basics :/

2. TreeCatcher

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,509
    Fishing pole, reel, line... I’m totally kidding! Lol. For any surf fishing period I would bring a box of lucky crafts, I just bought some calissas so we’ll see how those are, 3/4-1oz egg weights, swivels, tactical clips, size 4 or 6 owner hooks, 1 oz torpedo weights and J hooks for my zman Curley tails and a towel. Some spots I only Carolina rig, some spots I only throw lucky crafts, and some spots I only drop shot. If I plan to hit all my spots, I’ll bring everything. If I plan to only hit one spot, I would only bring what I’m going for. Also depends on the time I have. Good luck and tight lines.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  3. Werfless

Werfless The Coach ..RIP my friends
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +48,970
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    4 lb corbina rig or did you want to hunt the elusive dusky shark on 120# gear.. the target is just a little important... Lol

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Mike M

Mike M Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +381
    Name:
    Mike Mendez
    Regarding "Essential Gear"
    - Ziplock bag for you keys & fob
    - waterproof camera/phone or camera/phone w/ Ziplock bag
    - small pliers or hemostats for removing hooks
    - polarized sunglasses
    - face covering or buff
    - fishing license + ID
    - may also want to keep some baby oil, or goo-gone in the car just in case you get tar on your feet.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  5. YuriSD

YuriSD Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +109
    • measuring tape
    • hat
    • quick attach carabiners for changing tackle
    • knife
    • water
    • quick dry long sleeve shirt with UPF protection rating
    • pliers or a rag to handle sting rays

Really don't need much if you are getting out for a quick session, but if you are spending a couple hours then even sunblock is a good idea

6. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,195
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    Boat:
    17.5 Western Wide CC
    A couple of gallon jugs of fresh water for rinsing of gear and your person , The list goes on as you can see . The will to learn the beach and press right out onto the reefs without minding getting wet can be plus as well . tight lines . WR

7. K-Bo Smack

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,035
    Name:
    Keath
    I'd be happy to meet up and show you what I carry. I'm typically on North County beaches 2-3 times per week. Sometimes I only move 100-200 yards, other times I'll go for several miles, you really need to be mobile.

8. spicymayo

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +886
    the only things i bring to the beach sides rod and reel fit in or are clipped onto a fanny pack

- extra tackle (hooks, weights, swivels, leader line)
    - small medicine bottle with a few gulp sandworms and morf grubs
    - kitty litter scooper
    - hemostats
    - tape measure
    - gallon jug of fresh water and towel in the car to rinse off my gear and feet before going home.

9. the black lines

Ratings:
    +106
    That would be cool. I went out today in front of Army/Navy academy and tries sand crabs. Fished two hours and caught nada. I think I’ll be out again next Thursday afternoon

10. dmorgan3

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +907
    This: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0977248615/?tag=sd07e-20 . Don't forget the "perch crack" (sandworm Gulp). Put your phone and wallet in a ziploc bag. Shotgun for the sharks (just kidding). Camera for the hot nude babes at Black's Beach (just kidding, you will likely be disappointed).

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  11. K-Bo Smack

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,035
    Name:
    Keath
    I went out for a couple hours today as well, too bad we didn't connect. You can always send a DM next time you're planning to go. If I'm available I'll meet you on the sand.

12. B8DHOOK

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,742
    Two heavy set, older guys with over sized ding-dings is all I had the pleasure of seeing.. BLECK....

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  13. Jenx

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,926
    At least one of them didn't walk up to you and start up a conversation about fishing. I've heard stories of that happening.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. the black lines

Ratings:
    +106
    were you on the same beach? I saw a few guys fishing. I was with 3 others from around 2-4p

15. K-Bo Smack

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,035
    Name:
    Keath
  16. Dry Fly Rie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,316
    I wear a small hip pack that has 3 zippered pockets, and two mesh cupholders on the sides. I keep a small tube of sunscreen in one cupholder and usually a granola bar or two in the other one.

The biggest zippered pocket has my license, small tape measure, 8 oz bottle of water, a pair of needle-nose pliers (to handle rays or deal with toothy fish), a small spool of line for leader material, and a short (about 2.5 inches) screw driver to tighten the screw that holds the handle on my crab net.

The middle zippered pocket has small plastic bag/case of extra hooks (Owner Mosquito #6), and a small 6-compartment plastic tackle box (about 3 inches x 2 inches x 1 inch) that holds extra sliding sinkers (1/2, 3/4, & 1 oz), swivels, beads, and hooks).

The outer zippered pocket has a pair of 5.5 inch curved hemostats, and a pair of finger nail clippers, and some nippers.

I keep a small styrofoam-lined bait holder clipped to the strap on my hip pack, and have a small microfiber towel that has a grommet in one corner and then clips to a carabiner and onto my pack strap. I keep the towel tucked into my left front pocket and when I need it, I just pull it out of my pocket, dry my hands, and then stuff it back into my pocket. Since it's attached to my pack strap, it doesn't fall in the water if it slips out of my pocket. It will just hang next to my leg.

I keep my phone in my right front pocket, and my keys go in a zippered pocket on my right hip, and my chapstick in my back pocket. A place for everything....

I also utilize a crab net to make quick work of collecting bait. Also, I'm usually fishing with other people (often my kids or their friends) so I like to be able to get crabs quickly and get lines in the water. If I know I will be parking close to where I'm fishing, I like to leave my rod in the car, take the net down to the water, get bait, and then return the net to the car and exchange it for my rod. If I plan on walking/fishing with the crab net, I'll bring it with me, along with a short rod holder (pvc attached to a spike) to keep my rod out of the sand (and my hands) while I'm collecting bait.

I only c-rig with sand crabs. I'm not into throwing hard baits.

17. bloody sunday

bloody sunday Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +40
    Awesome. I think the thing I need help with now is what to look for and where to cast.