What are you working on?

Discussion in 'Fishing Tackle' started by Jenx, May 7, 2022.

1. Jenx

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,170
    I like that better than my paper clip method. I will have to give that a try.

2. Easy619

Easy619 Tug Addict
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +10,307
    Name:
    Eric
    I did full service on my fathom 15 and 25 star drags today. Fairly uncomplicated reels to work on, though the dogs are annoying. Haven't attempted my 2 speed reels myself yet, though found a good walkthrough and will give one a go tomorrow. Gotta do my tatula baitcaster as well, started getting a little click in the level wind, thinking I will just order a new paw before I tear it all down and reassemble to find issue is still there. I don't know what it is with me and level winds, it's always the first issue on baitcasters.

Been putting off servicing my offshore reels for a couple months, but gotta get em done because now it's time to fish.

20220509_233845.jpg

3. Easy619

Easy619 Tug Addict
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +10,307
    Name:
    Eric
    Today's gear project...took my fathom 40nld2, makaira 30 and 16 to the park and marked my white braid with a black sharpie every 50ft down to 400ft. Doing this made me realize I was fishing a jig deeper than schools at times. This should help get a few more bites this year.
    Putting fresh topshots on every reel, double checking my inventory of mono and fluro and hooks, preparing for my first offshore trip of the season. Yee yee 20220511_171101.jpg

#23 Easy619, May 11, 2022
    Last edited: May 11, 2022
  4. Jenx

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,170
    One of my Calcutta's has started making a clicking noise. I have been meaning to open it up and diagnose the problem. I hadn't even considered the pawl. What sucks is Mike's Reel Repair use to sell ceramic pawls for Calcutta's. Supposedly those lasted a lot longer than stock, but it doesn't look like they are being made anymore.

5. camobass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,916
    Boat:
    It floats
    • Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. Jenx

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,170
    What are you spraying the bearings with? I have only ever used lighter fluid to clean my bearings.

7. camobass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,916
    Boat:
    It floats
    Contact brake cleaner, followed by compressed air if I’m using that tool.
    Then, a drop or two of you’re desired oil. Some people run ceramic bearings dry. I never have

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  8. camobass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,916
    Boat:
    It floats
    This is what they recommend, I haven’t had any issues using contact cleaner

9. old_rookie

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,502
    And don't you hate when its all back together and you have a one small screw left over??

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  10. camobass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,916
    Boat:
    It floats
    That’s funny, I had to switch to left handed reels and bought an inexpensive brand new Lews to start. Reel locked up on me second cast, opened it up and there was an extra loose screw left inside from the factory, didn’t fall out anywhere, just extra that somehow ended up floating around inside.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  11. skrilla

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,107
    Never had leftover screws working with reels. My cars though...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  12. Jenx

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,170
    I've never had any issues losing heavy weights in the surf (knock on wood), but I also mainly stick to sandy beaches that have little to no structure. This year, however, I'm going to start giving beaches with rougher terrain a try.

On Ebay you can buy 10lbs of fishing weights for $30+, or for $3.38 you can buy a 10lb bag of concrete from Lowes.

So I decided to try making some cheap concrete weights. I collected a bunch of used Kuerig cups to use, and I was getting roughly 2oz of weight per 1oz of concrete. The K cup weights came out to roughly 4 ounces apiece, which is the perfect casting weight for one of my rods. I also filled some Dixie cups for larger 6oz weights. The plan is to tie these weights to a swivel using some light weight mono, so if I do get snagged I can just easily break them off.

No idea how well these will work, but either way it's a cheap experiment (and more environmentally friendly than lead)

weights.jpg

Speaking of weights, has anyone tried fishing with one of the ones pictured below? They are called storm or Hatteras sinkers. Supposedly they hold the bottom better than regular pyramid sinkers. I bought a few of these recently, and I hope to give them a try soon.

On some days I just can't keep a pyramid sinker from rolling around in the surf. I own some sputnik sinkers, which do a great job of holding the bottom, but unfortunately they also love collecting weeds on the retrieve, and can be a PIA to reel in when the legs wont disengage.

If these don't work any better I might try frog tongue weights next, or a different brand of spider/sputnik sinkers

Hatteras-Sinker.jpg

13. Midnightpass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,541
    Which style of sputniks do you use?... Mine usually release... I use this type..
    tpj0mTu.png
    Butch

14. Mike M

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +900
    Name:
    Mike Mendez
    I rebuilt this Chronarch a few months back... chronarch dirty.jpg chronarch clean.jpg

15. Jenx

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,170
    I've been using Gemini sinkers. I've seen the style you are using, and at some point I'm sure I will buy some to try out.

Thanks.

Gemini-Breakout-Long-Tail-Sinkers-00018001090_image1__31794.1591308858.jpg

16. Midnightpass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,541
    Maybe a simpler design, like the one I show, would make for an easier release. I’ve never tried the design you posted.
    Butch

17. Easy619

Easy619 Tug Addict
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +10,307
    Name:
    Eric
    Spent some time with the split ring pliers rigging jigs and moving some hooks around today.
    20220516_150643.jpg

18. dmorgan3

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,423
    I am a big fan of an egg carton to hold the parts in order. Sure hate it when I put something back together and there are spare parts left over. Doesn't seem to work as well either.

Other tools I use that weren't listed:
    • Tweezers
    • A worm blower filled with lube oil, works real well for drops in tight spots
    • Magnet for putting on any screwdriver shaft to hold screws. Mine came from an old SoniCare brush head.
    • Small syringe to fill with grease to lube gears, needle not needed. Mine held the Moderna vaccine but I think Pfizer or JJ are just as good for this use.
    • Ratcheting screwdriver, just quicker than a regular one
    • Schematic even though most of them are barely readable. Easy to download if you lost it.

19. dmorgan3

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,423
    Especially when it makes that grinding noise.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  20. B8DHOOK

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,382
    A magnet on the screwdriver shaft.. That’s genious. I can think of many scenarios where that would come in handy. Holds the screw while trying to line it up into a small crevasse area. Would also hold a tiny screw onto the tip after removal. Very cool..

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List