What Do We Know About Public Utilities and Fishing?

Discussion in 'Freshwater' started by Everydog, Jun 2, 2020.

1. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,182
    I am wonder if we may be overlooking any obligations that Public Utilities must contribute to quality of life issues(recreation), or some contract(s) that they must uphold lake access in exchange for the monopoly they have on the rivers/water land that became these bodies of water?

Is anybody up on this topic? If there is obligation. If yes , are they doing their part?

2. Werfless

Werfless The Coach ..RIP my friends
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +60,831
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Yes, there are obligations, no, those obligations are not being met, nor have they been for a VERY long time, just as they haven't been for nearly any public area you can name...

3. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,497
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    I think , that Article 1 , Section 25 of the california state constitution just about says it all no matter who benefits from the proceeds of any stocked waters in the state . codes_displayText.xhtml . WR

4. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,182
    Here is Section 25

The people shall have the right to fish upon and from the public lands of the State and in the waters thereof, excepting upon lands set aside for fish hatcheries, and no land owned by the State shall ever be sold or transferred without reserving in the people the absolute right to fish thereupon; and no law shall ever be passed making it a crime for the people to enter upon the public lands within this State for the purpose of fishing in any water containing fish that have been planted therein by the State; provided, that the legislature may by statute, provide for the season when and the conditions under which the different species of fish may be taken.

Who owns the land around these reservoirs that are closed? Who sold it to whom. To what extent does that legally matter? Though I don't think it is appropriate to horde them , make them too expensive, or unreasonably hold them away from the public under any circumstances other than emergencies that actually affect the lakes. Singing to the choir , I know.

Not sure where I am going with this , but we have to know what we can possibly try to hold City and County officials responsible to do , or force the public utilities to do .

Fishing for an advocate and just to learn more:
    I had a brief email exchange with someone from the Fish and Game Commission, Staff member John Snellstrom. I asked him, with these laws and the fact that the fish belong to us(, why they enforced anything when access to the lakes was being so drastically restricted.? He stopped communicating at that point.

I have taken a different tack, and asked why, with the laws as they are and the fish belonging to the public , there seems to be no advocacy from F&G or any other agency of California to advocate for tax paying license buying citizen in the face of excess denial of access. by our County and City. Unfortunately it's hard to keep anyone's attention , as you all probably know.

I think there are non-profit recreation advocate groups. I don't know much about that yet either. If Laws and contracts are being broken there should be a way to move for improvement. " Social contract" is definitely neglected either way.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  5. Werfless

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +60,831
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    The DFG is the most anti fishing organization in CA, maybe in the US... As I have pointed out elsewhere, the parasite has long forgotten the host...

6. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,182
    Well I have this gentleman back on line, I will be sure to tell him you said that!

Or, can we use the "parasite host defense" in court when we cut the locks and they want to fine us for poaching?

#6 Everydog, Jun 2, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  7. Werfless

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +60,831
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Probably won't listen until some idiot does something unthinkable... THEN, in that moment, that might choose to be more reasonable.. or double down

8. fishnfreak

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,738
    Look at who owns the water rights to the eastern Sierra. This has been going on for 100 years.people and land owners have been a fighting this water issue sense the move out west. In covered wagons, the government has always won. And it's not going to change anytime soon , you can can write all the E emails you want your wasting your time.
    Just go to work and give them there taxes, it will be just fine.

9. fishnfreak

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,738
    I bought a book from a local author about the 395, it's been a war over water for ever. Big LA strong armed them and took the water.

10. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,182
    I put the house in my wife's name only , got off the checking account, she's going to get me an extra card. I don't do 9-5 anymore , less and less is unthinkable.

11. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,182
    I watched Rango with my kids about 7 times, I know. Good movie BTW. Seriously though , I hear you.

So everyone had tried to push these buttons and given up?

12. Werfless

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +60,831
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    I don't think they gave up.. I personally wrote the local lakes off many years ago.. c and r practices basically ruined our lakes, so I really haven't been back other than an invite from a friend to go to V once and Santee once (now years ago anyway)... Trust me, if the lakes had those big fish in bulk that drew huge crowds back in the day (and made headlines), the anglers would be so numerous they would be really difficult to ignore.. the half dozen guys who fish Sutherland on the regular? Not so much...

13. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,182
    I don't really get the size matters when you like to fish for little yellow bullheads and mongrel sunfish!

I am content targeting what's there as far a fresh water goes. Well , I have a moderate interest in a larger PB and I fish for quality more than numbers , but it's not stopping me from wanting to be one of the loners at Sutherland, on no motors Friday, in a kayak.

The lakes take pressure off the ocean. That in itself seems like it would make keeping lakes open to the maximum a priority. The lake fish are just farm animals , not true about the ocean.

14. PowayRamFan

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +130
    It’s DFW, we don’t have “game” anymore in this state only “wildlife”.
    Wonder how much of our tax $ we spent on the name change? Only in Commiefornia......

15. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,182
    So, It's a problem of circular deflection. Well that's what I am concluding with this afternoon's exchange with the FGC staff person. I'll summarize, yes, fishing rights are in the state constitution, but go to back to your city and county even though they are denying access and are the reason you came to me , at the state level where the constitution comes from , in the first place.

He says they are advocating for fishermen by making the things we can be punished for wrt inland fishing more understandable when we do get a chance to fish somewhere.

16. Werfless

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +60,831
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Lol Everydog ... I don't care about the size of the fish, BASS ANGLERS DO (generally, I am sure there are plenty who love eight inch largemouth). If you want the days of long lines of bass boats to get in the lakes larger bass might play a teensy, tiny role, just saying. Happy to fish for what's there? Come with me for a thirty minute session on the SDR sometime around sundown, or better yet, LJ or SSC.. seriously I offer that to you. You can even use my gear and bait, even if it is for little yellow bullheads and mongrel sunfish... Those mongrels have some amazing colors, btw

17. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,182
    Sure, let's have a fishing meetup of some kind. I'll PM you.

18. swings are free

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,035
    That name change was the last nail in the coffin.
    I still refuse to say the new name.

19. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,182
    If the public utilities and other agencies ,city and county are shirking obligations with regards to lake fishing , how does one go about getting background info to demonstrate that to them?