What do you all think of this rod? Okuma Kokanee Black

Discussion in 'Surf, Piers, & Jetties' started by Fisher not a catcher, Sep 11, 2019.

1. Fisher not a catcher

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +173
    So I got this low profile baitcaster Revo Toro NaCL reel a few years back. I don't think they make this exact model anymore, its a smaller revo toro, but I really like it. Took it to the surf a couple weeks ago and let my wife use the BG4000.

I caught a few on the baitcaster, but it was rough getting it out there using the 6ft bass rod. I am looking for a good 9ft casting rod in the 1/4-1 oz lure range and found this okuma rod. On paper it looks pretty good, but the thing about kokanee rods are that they are pretty species specific, targeting soft mouth kokanee with lots of parabolic bend. That shouldn't be too much of a problem for socal surf fishing right?

Do any of you have any critiques. Any reasons you wouldn't get this rod? I think the carbon fiber handle looks pretty cool.

Kokanee Black Rods

2. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +39,748
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    I have seen the SST series (salmon and steelhead) okuma rods under wide use across southern California in the surf, and they seem well loved. Not sure how that compares to the Kokanee rods though

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. Queue

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,121
    Boat:
    SR-18
    Kokanee rods are as stout as a wet spaghetti noodle. I wouldn’t use one for surf fishing. Tidal pull, tangled kelp and hooking into anything over 5 lbs won’t end well. I have a lamiglas kokanee rod that I love throwing kastmasters for bass in open water down here and trolling trout/kokanee when I get up north.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Fisher not a catcher

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +173
    Bummer that the kokanee is too limp. I am having a hard time finding a good salmon rod that is 9ft, casting, medium power, and a 1/4-1oz lure.

5. Bassnbeans

Bassnbeans Fishical Therapist
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,802
    Amazon has the Shimano Scimitar 8'6" caster MED for $40. I like mine a lot. I use a ML 8-12 for small live bait and the M 10-20 for up to 1.25-1.5oz.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  6. Fisher not a catcher

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +173
    Oooh that one looks like it might do what I want. The 10-20lb is rated 3/8-1oz. That's the sweet spot for me, most of what I cast is a sliding 1/4 to 3/4 oz and the occasional 1oz swimbait.

7. Queue

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,121
    Boat:
    SR-18
    I also have a Fenwick 8’6” 10-20 MH that I used for chinook in the mouth of the Klamath....that weight/action I would use in the surf. I’ve found anything “kokanee” seems to be like pasta noodles.

8. Chriwilson

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,206
    This is the one, look at the MH or H ...

Okuma Celilo Casting

9. Chazzman

Chazzman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +178
    I recently bought and returned that same Okuma Celilo rod in the spinning version (8’6” medium). After one session in the surf I determined that it was too soft for me.

#9 Chazzman, Sep 11, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
  10. Baywolf

Baywolf Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +889
    Name:
    Perry
  11. xCremlin

xCremlin Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +109
    I got a Okuma Celilo 8’6” heavy and that thing could handle some pretty big seaweed again the wave just fine.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. Moseley

Moseley Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +26
    I’d recommend taking a look at the Daiwa North Coast steelhead and salmon rods. There’s a couple in the 9 ft range that are meant for 8-17/10-20 pound line and have lure ratings of 3/8-1/3/8-1.5 oz. Wal-Mart has em cheap at times.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. Easy619

Easy619 Tug Addict
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,424
    Name:
    Eric
    I use an ugly GX2 9' medium in the surf. Bombs a 1oz sinker quite a ways, handles big bass just fine.

14. Chriwilson

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,206
    That’s why I recommended the MH or H.

15. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,254
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    Boat:
    17.5 Western Wide CC
    You do not hear much about them on the coast but the Cabelas Fish Eagle Salmon / steelhead rods are a good value . All the ones I have used have good actions , good fittings and good cork . The shipping tube is actually a hard case with latched end . It won't arrive broken . The 9.0' 1/2 -2oz fast action throws spoons , lures Etc. very well. Keep in mind most if not all manufacturers tend to rate the rods a little higher than than what you will find in use . Good luck with which ever you decide on . WR

16. Daddo

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,373
    Phenix has what your looking for in the Trifecta Pro line.
    9', one piece, 6-12# test, 1/4-3/4 oz. I use the same rod in the surf in spinner. Love it. The one below is in casting.

upload_2019-9-12_8-0-34.png

17. Daddo

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,373
    Phenix has what your looking for in the Trifecta Pro line.
    9', one piece, 6-12# test, 1/4-3/4 oz. I use the same rod in the surf in spinner. Love it. The one below is in casting.

View attachment 120238

18. Fisher not a catcher

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +173
    I think I found the one boys!

FE54CS1004-2-B
    10ft rod, 8 - 15lbs, 3/8 oz - 1 oz
    https://www.cabelas.com/product/CABELAS-FISH-EAGLE-S-S-CASTING-RODS/2430563.uts

19. Lipripper

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +397
    So take this with a grain of salt, but I like to buy quality rods and reels that have good warranties and are made in the US of A. I used to fish cheap gear and found that it didn't last very long. I found that when you don't spend too much on gear you don't always treat it the best. Once I started spending more on my gear I found that I was more gentle on it and also kept up on my maintenance. I am super partial to Daiwa reels (yes I know that they aren't made in the good ole US) and have had no issues with them whatsoever. St. Croix makes their triumph series salmon/steelhead rods and I have fished them quite a bit. They aren't bank breakers, but they also aren't cheap. They retail around $130. They are quality rods with good warranties. I really liked cousins tributary and evo rods but cousins (RIP) went under. I know that most people could care less where their gear is made, but if I can put my American dollars, earned in America, in the pocket of a fellow American, while getting a quality piece of gear that the company stands behind.....that's a win for me.

Just something to chew on.

SAVED ROUND: St. Croix triumph rods are made in Fresnillo, Zacatecas Mexico and designed in Wisconsin.

20. Fisher not a catcher

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +173
    I totally understand. My Lamiglas x-11 for my spinning setup is awesome and the first rod I spent more than $30. I totally love it and baby it more than the Walmart rods I started with. I think you can def feel the jump in quality with rods around the $80-100+ price point.