What happened about two weeks ago?

Discussion in 'Bay Fishing' started by Eg3210, May 15, 2019.

1. Eg3210

Eg3210 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +98
    Does anybody know if something happened about two weeks back? I was hauling in a slightly larger personal best bass about once every couple weeks getting good numbers and quality, some decent fish every session and usually about 4-6 fish an hour from the shore at my usual place. Fishing was good so I went to my most comfortable and convenient spot most of the time, but when I did wonder off to shelter island it was usually even better. Fishing pretty close to shore using mostly a 1/4 oz on t-rigged roboworms and 3 inch big hammwrs. Also did fine on my usual drop shot grubs.
    Was really feeling like I'd figured some stuff out and was getting on top of this then my bite just dropped off. Lucky to get a fish in an hour or two session. Sometimes no bite at all others just one to three bites in the session even from shelter island.
    After several bad sessions I thought maybe they went deeper so I broke out my big boy 8'6" rod and lobbed my same old stuff out with half oz weights to see but that didn't get me any more attention, at least not at my usual spot but it doesn't get out to far or deep there. So my next time out I was thinking try the same thing with the long rod but off the rocks by shelter island to see if they moved deeper into the bay.

So I guess after that very long explanation (sorry) does anybody know if they just started or stopped spawning or if they moved to deeper or shallower or tempeture changed....or something. It just seems to sudden and extream for it to just be in my head and I've spoken to a few other people I've run into that said they are having touble the last couple weeks as well. Does anybody know if something just happened, I know last spring/early summer I had a dry streak as well but was still very much a beginner and just assumed I was bad at fishing. This time I want to see what I need to change to get a few more fish.

Thanks for any help.

2. DDuvan1

DDuvan1 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +496
    Make sure you are checking the tides. The tide is everything with bay fishing. No tide movement equals slower fishing. Big tide swing equals good fishing. Always check the tides and schedule your fishing around the tide.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,992
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Simplistic, I know, but things change and when you think you have it figured out... you don't!

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  4. Easy619

Easy619 Tug Addict
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,605
    Name:
    Eric
    This is the story of fishing in my opinion. You keep learning and building knowledge and skill, and when you start to feel really good..you get humbled

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. Eg3210

Eg3210 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +98
    Dang, I was really hoping to hear that after March first no fish would be seen bitting brown bait kinda like wearing white after labor day or something else super easy to fix.
    So nobody knows of one any particular shift in behavior that happened?
    I'll keep moving around and tossing different lures and see if I can get past this hump as quickly as I can. Thanks for the input

6. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,992
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    One thing I noticed a few weeks back, the lizard fish population is on a major rebound out in the channel. Could be that whatever feeds on them moved where they are. Just guessing.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. Fins in the Bin

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +642
    Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    I agree that I like tidal movement and a little wind to keep the drift moving. I also don't catch fish in the bay when the water temp is under 60 but that's all I know, and every time I think I have it figured out it humbles me too. Even worse is when you find that magic lure that gets hit every cast and then a month after you drop a Benjamin on every size they make for it nothing wants to eat them anymore...
    I have much more experience on the big pond than in the bay but have been trying to figure out the bay for 2 years pretty consistently and I now find myself heading back outside more since I haven't really got it dialed in. I have plenty of days where I get close to 20 bass in 2 hours and then just like you described the switch goes off and everything that worked before doesn't.

About 2 weeks ago the water temp started jumping up from a range of around 60-63 to 64-66 on some of my trips so I'm guessing that sends a signal to spring but I have no idea what that equates to for fishing success.

8. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +40,417
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Use ghost shrimp.. Whatever they are feeding on, they will eat ghosts any time. If you don't get bit, the fish aren't there, they have moved. Warmer water triggered the shift you speak of, as it often does

9. Eg3210

Eg3210 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +98
    Sounds like some pretty solid advice and if you said it , it seems like it's always worth listening to, thanks.
    Edit: does it matter if the ghost shrimp are lice or frozen (or dried or whatever from they come in from the tackle shop)? I've never used any cut bait other then market shrimp and once or twice a strip of makrel, but never actually caught anything on the makrel

10. Eg3210

Eg3210 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +98
    Thanks for the tip on the water temp and even if I don't get any more fish for a bit it does feel better knowing I'm not the only that's had this happen.

11. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +40,417
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    The bite changes over time. The patterns shift, caused by variables so innumerate it can be difficult to track. The main variable is water temperature. Another is presence of feed items. Tide plays more of a role in HOW a spot will fish than what is there or what is being fed on, in my mind. If it's any consolation, I haven't had a consistent bite going in SW since the end of January or so... Then again, the bite has been so crazy good out in the Imperial Valley, the salt barely enters my mind... as Bud told Kelly, "pour a gallon of information into a shot glass of a brain, there is bound to be some overflow"...

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +14,393
    Fishing will be up and down forever. Fact. That’s why you gotta strike while the irons hot!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  13. Bobber

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,568
    The fish are sad. They heard I couldn't fish and with no one to mock they just wandered off to pout.

sad fish smaller.jpg

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  14. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,992
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    A 1/4" wide strip of squid on just about any lure will greatly increase your odds of catching fish. (not action lures)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  15. Easy619

Easy619 Tug Addict
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,605
    Name:
    Eric
    January and february were money in the surf, it has really died off for me on the beach since then as well. Barely been catching **** Getting back into the bays and river estuary but haven't been hot there either for me in limited outings

#15 Easy619, May 15, 2019
    Last edited: May 15, 2019