What Happened?

Discussion in 'Bay Fishing' started by Creek, Sep 14, 2018.

1. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,534
    Simply put, the fishing has turned off in the bays (for me). I spent a few hours at Mission Point and Spanish Landing this past week. My back finally got a lot better and I felt like I could manage the kick.

Mission Point was a mess. I only managed nine fish - a small Hali, a smallish Yellowfin, and the rest cookie cutter Spotts. My partner Richard only bagged three. All that in three hours of pulling flies. How things change.

Spanish Landing was pretty much the same. I went there with high hopes only because its always good at Spanish, right? Nope. At least, not like I've come to expect it. I took thirteen total in three hours of fishing. Nothing notable. Taught me a huge lesson though... appreciate it while you've got it. And I know some of you are thinking "Nine and thirteen are great numbers ! How can you be bummed about that?" And I agree with you. I just got so used to cranking in numbers over 20 and sometimes 40 that I came to expect it.

Anyway, that's it. Nothing to take pics of, so no pics. Just my report on how things are changing.

2. captwoody

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,749
    Name:
    Woody
    Boat:
    19ft Kencraft
    I am in same boat as you with injury so I feel I am barely good enough to go. Checked weather and this site
    Tide times and charts for Point Loma, California and weather forecast for fishing in Point Loma in 2018
    Some of the poorest numbers for month last week so I postponed todays trip. For me the wind, and poor solunar numbers Plus my disastrous last trip made me postpone. Hospital I was supposed to get surgery had an infection outbreak so Dr. postponed surgery till Oct 8 so I will have a couple more shots at fishing if my body holds up. Need to take my 19FT Kencraft C/C out one more time so I can put fuel/Stabil in it and charge batteries since DR. told me 3-12 months recovery time. So boat will sit for a while. This also means get fishing fix before getting cut

3. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,534
    Why dont we make one of those sessions a float session? Let me know. M

4. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +40,360
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    I don't know too much about SDB.. in MB tho, when the tuna bite is anywhere near this good/close, a ton of fish move from the main channels to the ramp areas and bait barge "flow" areas to take advantage of the all you can eat buffet..

• Helpful Helpful x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  5. AzImport

AzImport Living Customs Violation
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,481
    This very tidbit is a large part of what is determining where I'm fishing tonight.... lol

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  6. captwoody

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,749
    Name:
    Woody
    Boat:
    19ft Kencraft
    I would like to make a float session or 2 , plus when I take boat out need to load up on macs,and go to beach and load up on sand crabs to freeze, plus mussels. especially since my first trips after surgery will be shore bound and I wont be physically able to gather bait more than likely.

7. captwoody

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,749
    Name:
    Woody
    Boat:
    19ft Kencraft
    Creek Monday Tuesday and the following Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday have the best numbers .if you are going out after Monday let me know I would like to go

8. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,534
    This Monday? I'm in if you are.

9. captwoody

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,749
    Name:
    Woody
    Boat:
    19ft Kencraft
    I am slow typer was answering your pm so I am in monday

10. Fins in the Bin

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +642
    Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    I hope you don't have the same luck as me, I was averaging just under 20 fish in about 2 hours for quite a few weekends in a row and then I started struggling to get 10 in 3!
    I started fishing outside the kelp and offshore more but I'm almost scared to go back tomorrow in case i still suck. I blamed it on the water being to hot and the fish going deep. I am planning on hitting the big bay tomorrow so i'll let you know if they are biting there or not.

11. Vito1023

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,152
    Yeah fish while you can, I just had back surgery and I was suppose to be fine by now and I’m not, and I haven’t been able to fish for 2 months and counting and I’m going nuts I was going to try something easy this week like South Shores but they’re having the the boat races so I won’t be trying MB, if I’m up to it I might try Spanish or anybody have any suggestions for shore fishing this weekend, somewhere I don’t have to do much rock climbing? Thanks in advance

12. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,534
    Mission Point.. If you can chuck your plastics or hardware far enough (no more than 50' at low tide).. That steep ledge/dropoff that runs the length of the sand north to south has always been productive for me - from the float tube fishing it parallel, but still.. the ledge harbors alot of fish waiting for morsels to come floating over the top of them.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  13. mikecheck1212

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,582
    Well now I don’t feel that bad..hit that top secret Area 51 spot i pm’d you about over the weekend..usually kill it there..managed one spotty and a couple bites...it was on that super high tide sat morning...the high tides have been horrible for me lately.

14. Daddo

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,387
    This season has been like a heart rate monitor for me. I'm shorebound. Really disappointed in my performance in the surf aside from my PB spotfin, twice. Catching fish, but not nearly like the past summer seasons.

15. Bobber

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,568
    Do the boat races ruin weekday fishing too? Does this just apply to fishing in the east bay?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  16. Daddo

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,387
    Very familiar with the whole thing. When able, they will most likely advise lots of easy walking. I would stay out of the soft sand, but maybe walking the hard sand and chucking into the surf would be a good recipe for both causes? (rebuilding and going crazy). Those who have not experienced the back stuff cannot even begin to imagine what it's like, for reals. I feel for anyone who goes through it. Dibilitating in the most deluxe way...

17. Rodmaster858

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,170
    so true!

18. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,534
    I would think just the East .. any other fish within range uses earplugs.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  19. rockzilla

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +592
    Not much tidal movement this week. No movement....no bites.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  20. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,534
    I agree.. but I can't not fish on a day off. Sooo.. we'll be out Monday using the chuck 'n pray method. On the other hand, very little water movement will help us both save our backs.