What if...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by fisheromen, Feb 19, 2018.

?

If it was highly likely that your home would be burglarized, would you:

1. Call for stricter gun control?

3.6%
  2. Lobby for criminals to give up their guns?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Bolster you home's security?

28.6%
  4. Arm yourself?

67.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rocketship

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,508
    Boat:
    Skeeter 21i
    Those are all excellent questions that hopefully we will never have to learn an answer to because having an armed populace will deter them from ever even trying. That is one of the main reasons to keep the second amendment intact as is.

Just the same, if a criminal wants to perpetrate a home invasion and take a family hostage in the process doing all kinds of terrible things to the members of that family, do you think it might act as a deterrent to that criminal knowing there's a fine chance they could be filled full.of lead? I do think so. It's the same train of thought.

2. Rocketship

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,508
    Boat:
    Skeeter 21i
    I'm still active. I'm at 21 years. I plan on retiring in December of 2020.

I've had a pretty good experience. I've gotten in some trouble here and there but it was always my fault due to my belligerent nature. I've met some outstanding people and some that weren't do much. I got to live in the San Diego area several times (headed back again June!!!) and I've seen a whole lot of the world. Now, I have wrecked my body in the process and missed out on most family related things. If I had to do it all over again, I would except I would have applied myself more during the early years. I think I have had an exceptionally good run because I'm a bachelor. I have chosen to stay that way and I love the bachelor life. I can see how it is more difficult on those with families. I am not and never have been that guy who blindly drinks the Kool Aid but all in all, I've enjoyed it. I am ready, however, for life after the Corps.

3. 5spot

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +566
    To the gun control advocates, what gun laws can we end?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  4. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,424
    Just another great example as to why good, upstanding citizens should be allowed to conceal carry. With conceal carry, the bad guys have no idea where the bullets might come from. What a drag it would be for them not to know who's carrying. As it is, its much easier for them to commit crimes and brandish/use a firearm in the process because no one but LEO's and the odd jewelry store owner have concealed weapons in CA. They have nothing to fear under the current, jacked up state laws - unless there's an off-duty cop within earshot of their escapade.

I'm all for citizens getting conceal carry permits. Know how to use it, when to use it, know the law and be willing to get involved if the need presents itself. I'd love to see bad guys get creamed when they do stupid stuff while armed. Justice. Its just too bad the state and the county will never allow it.

5. Rxwoman

Rxwoman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +473
    Well you don't you have some of these answers?? Aren't you the one telling me that a tyranical government will hire mercenaries and that US military personel will be on "our" side?
    So, set up this tyranical government of hired mercenary scenario.
    Which government, where are they from and how are their mercenaries being armed?

6. Carterantebi

Carterantebi The Skunk Magnet
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +10,791
    Name:
    Carter
    Boat:
    Hobie Revo
    An excellent point right there. I think that’s the most revealing evidence of these politicians’ true intentions.

7. Rocketship

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,508
    Boat:
    Skeeter 21i

Now I have to have all the answers for you to understand the point of the second amendment? That is what you expect yet you can't take the founding fathers seriously? Why would you believe me if you so staunchly disagree with them? I answered you with the right answer. The second amendment is there to protect our freedom because it serves as a deterrent. If you do not like that answer, I don't know what to tell you.

8. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,424
    Let us not forget this one important fact.. Guns don't discharge themselves. People discharge firearms. A person has to make a conscious decision to discharge a firearm regardless of where the business end of that firearm is pointed. So how about from now on you start holding the trigger-man responsible for the discharge and stop pointing the lame finger at that nasty firearm.

9. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,424
    I was expecting to hear all sorts of stuff from the other side on this.

I'm okay with certain aspects of gun control. They want assault rifles banned and never made available to the public. Fine. Then every good citizen gets a 9mm or a 40. How's that? "Oh no Creek, we cant allow that."

10. salt water guy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,517
    Boat:
    Montauk
    While not specifically addressing your question, I’ve been keeping an eye on H.R.38 - Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act of 2017 which is winding its way thru Congress. Some refer to this as the “big Kahuna” for the NRA’s legislative agenda and I’m sure the pressure is intense on certain senators. I don’t consider myself anti-gun or a gun “grabber,” but I am concerned about gun violence in America.

This bill concerns me because I like the idea, (in this case) of states’ elected officials deciding what laws go on the books and address constituent’s concerns about public safety. Agree or disagree, voter’s perspectives simply are different when you compare, say NY vs WY, on the subject of gun regulation.

Of course this gets into the thorny issue of states rights versus federal law, you know that Supremacy Clause and all that. I’ll be interested in seeing what happens with this bill.

That said, I wouldn’t be terribly upset if bump stocks were banned -- nationally.

11. Larry M

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,851
    Name:
    Larry M
    I really don't see the need of bump stocks either. They may be fun to use, just rent them at a shooting range and never let them off of the range. Just a thought .

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. 5spot

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +566
    Don’t need bump stocks. We have belt loops.

13. Rxwoman

Ratings:
    +473
    A deterent to WHO?
    And don't we already have an EXTREMELY well armed US military to serve as a deterent? Aren't they deterent enough?
    It's not that I disagree with the founding fathers, it's that back when they wrote about keeping a well armed militia, the situation was a bit different.

14. Rxwoman

Ratings:
    +473
    Have you ever worked in any prisons? The criminals don't run anything.
    But you are right about one thing, stop worrying about upsetting certain groups. Starting with the NRA and gun nuts who raise holy hell if anyone mentions common sense regulation of weapons.
    They'll get over it.

15. Rxwoman

Ratings:
    +473
    So Feinstein and all the other "idiots" are guilty of a made-up response to a "never gonna' happen" imaginary scenario?
    Horrible!

16. Rocketship

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,508
    Boat:
    Skeeter 21i
    So by YOUR rationale, we should limit free speech to paper posters or gatherings because times were different?

Look lady, the guns are not the problem, the people are. Common sense is insisting that people take personal accountability and responsibility for their actions and to hold those who refuse to do so accountable. Passing off the infringement of constitutional rights as "common sense" is the first step to losing all of them. The fact that you can't see this is exactly why the founding fathers seemed it necessary to write the second amendment into the constitution.

I find it amusing that the same crowd of people calling for so called "common sense gun laws" have an extremely difficult time applying common sense to just about any other issue they disagree with...

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  17. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,424
    I have no idea who you are. Do you honestly think I'm going to tell you anything to do with my personal work history? Come on. I'd imagine at some point you're going to tell us that you've done a tour of part-time work at Donovan, Duffy's Disneyland, Las Colinas or some crash cell location as a pharmacist. I'm on the edge of my seat and there's popcorn on the stove.

18. Rxwoman

Ratings:
    +473
    I didn't say anything about limiting guns to the technology of the times.
    What I said was that when the founders wrote an amendment regarding arming and regulating militias they were addressing the issues of a very different world.
    And you didn't answer my question.
    Do you not consider our US military and it's weaponry to be more than enough of a deterent?

19. Rxwoman

Ratings:
    +473
    I think you would have had you any kind of real life experience with the department of corrections.
    Your non-answer says you have not.

20. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,424
    Uh.. ok.:emoji_joy:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.