What improvements can be made to San Diego area lakes?

Discussion in 'Freshwater' started by Kellen, Dec 10, 2015.

1. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,774
    Calling all @Registered SDFish members,

I wanted to start a dedicated thread where we can identify issues at any of San Diego County's area lakes. If we can pinpoint things that need to be fixed, then we can start working toward solutions and hopefully make a positive impact.

Please make only meaningful posts outlining issues that you feel should be resolved, or point out areas that could be improved. Be specific. Do your best to support your complaints as well, if you have photos that illustrate an issue that's a plus!

The first step to making a change is identifying what needs to be changed. That's the idea of this thread, to ID all issues concerning fishing in San Diego and start to prioritize them by importance and impact. From there, we can strategize on how to enact change.

The only way we ever see change is if we can work together to ID areas of concern first. So in order to keep this thread on topic, I will be deleting any posts which are not identifying issues or supporting issues that were already brought forth.

If you see an issue brought forward that you also would like to address, please use the "like" or "agree" rating icons below each post. They are the first two in the left, a smiley with a thumbs up, and a green check mark.

2. scisports

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,225
    1. Management of bass and panfish fisheries (crappie, redear) with stocking and slot limits.
    2. Dependable rental boats (Dixon)
    3. Better updating of lake websites for fish reports (Jennings for example).
    4. water metrics (T, DO, turbidity) at different depths, data accessible online.
    5. Address issues such as Upper Otay
    6. Open San V already
    7. Cleaning stations

3. Delbrugge4

Delbrugge4 Member

Ratings:
    +9
    Since its trout season... the boaters that come a little too close to the shore and into the coves. Specifically poway.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 3
    • List
  4. Jeston Chase

Jeston Chase Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Open San V already is right!!

5. bigbassgas

bigbassgas Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +40
    Boat:
    fishcat
    In regards to shore fisherman,please let's be diligent with cleaning up trash.ive noticed a huge incline in litter over the last five years.its a major reason why the city will continue to close certain fishable lagoons,ponds,rivers ,ect...

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  6. Fishingnoob619

Fishingnoob619 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108
    No more dogs at Cuyamaca. No one picks after up after their dog. There is crap everywhere. I have never seen one person carrying a bag with them when walking dogs. Not once. I'll post some pics on Sunday when I head up there

7. swings are free

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,452
    More night fishing options.

• Agree Agree x 15
    • Like Like x 7
    • List
  8. ChrisNorby

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +474
    Boat:
    Hobie Pro Angler
    Second to the boats in coves at poway and trash on shore everywhere.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. rustyh

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +927
    X2

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. swings are free

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,452
    It would be nice if they opened up more of the dam areas to fishing. That's alot of
    real a state closed to the public. Other states let ya fish em. It kills me to see all that water flowing into otay and not being able to toss a bait there.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  11. Rusty Hook

Rusty Hook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +27
    Boat:
    14 foot outboard
    I enjoy float tube fishing, however I hate to wear waders, They allow boats in the lakes that omit oil and gas into the water but they do not allow skin to water contact, how dumb is that.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 5
    • List
  12. Low&Slow

Low&Slow Hate us cuz they anus..
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +450
    I'm pretty sure it's super illegal to put oil or gas in the water...and plus most of our lakes are drinking reservoirs do you really want everyone's unmentionables in your drinking water?? Water contact would probably just kill our water clarity which in SD we don't know how lucky we are with that.

Anyways imo to make the lakes better I think a rule should be put into place that you can only harvest bass between 12" and 20" or anything over 5lbs should all be catch and release ONLY. Take all the legals you want but leave the monsters alone.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  13. swings are free

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,452
    What's worse someone float tubing with shorts on or someone soaking a piece of mack smothered in nasty stink bait? Or birds and ducks craping every were ? El cap has water contact and the water is doing fine. Now if water contact means more jet skis then I'm not for it haha.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  14. surferjohn

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +384
    Stock a lake(El Cap) with trout at least once a year even if its fingerlings to help the trophy bass. That really helped El Cap out. Maybe even Barrett too.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  15. jrkbait

jrkbait Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +135
    24/7 access to lakes, either all or specific ones on a rotating basis with no additional city staffing. Lakes are not closed at all across most of the US. City is worried about liability. I say if you hit a rock, it is on you.

• Agree Agree x 11
    • Like Like x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  16. chris102681

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +674
    1. Trash pick up. This I think is #1 by a mile.
    2. Slot limits on bass. All large ones are catch and immediate release except for tournaments.
    3. More park rangers who actually enforce the laws.
    4.more night fishing.
    5. Maybe try adding a different species of bass. Spotted bass? To one lake.
    6. Lakes always open
    7. Better facilities
    8. Better roads around lake Dixon haha

17. Rusty Hook

Rusty Hook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +27
    Boat:
    14 foot outboard
    So let me understand this, our government says no water contact in some of our lakes but then they want toilet to tap drinking water.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  18. stoned-trout

stoned-trout If it smells like fish
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,240
    Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    kayak velocity 13 ft
    they should ban all gas motors on the lakes..electric motors only...I skinny dip in your drinking water already ...ha ha

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  19. fish4bass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +387
    Besides self imposed things, such as picking up your trash and policing ourselves, nothing is going to change at the lakes anytime soon. The city needs to change how they feel about the residents of this town before anything at our lakes change to benefit the general public. I have been fishing our county lakes since the 50's and city lakes since the 60's and have witnessed the steady decline of give a sh--t from the city. The only place the city will invest any time or money are areas that attract tourists and their mighty dollar. If the city dosent think their investment will bring them a certain amount of tourist dollars in return, it just aint gonna happen. They have no problem dropping millions in downtown, Balboa Park, the embarcadero (you get the idea, where the tourists spend their money). But make any improvements that actually benefit the citizens of this town. I hope it happens but I'm to old ---I cant hold my breath that long these days.
    By the way. Thanks Lori, your one of the few.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  20. Ron Groth

Ron Groth Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +77
    It would be great for lakes that can be approached from many different roads (such as Hodges) to be able to get a daily permit online so we wouldn't have to go all the way to the dock area when you don't have a lot of time to fish.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 2
    • List