What improvements can be made to San Diego area lakes?

Discussion in 'Freshwater' started by Kellen, Dec 10, 2015.

1. VinnyBass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +24,224
    This will be almost impossible to enforce some of what I listed below at the lakes, but my wish is that someday Rangers or whoever is stationed at the lake will make better efforts to TRY to ENFORCE the rules. Heck guys, if you are not breaking any you need not worry. Examples: No dogs in the water or parents letting their kids swim in the water(I have seen it), no throwing rocks at ducks, no horseplay in lake boats(how many times have you seen this happen where boats are almost colliding with another boat of friends or doing donuts in motorized lake boats where kids are almost falling out of the boat), no snagging fish,(very very hard to enforce no doubt), checking that people actually purchase permits(seen many an angler pull in and launch boat and not go to iron ranger or buy a permit because they have no fear of being checked. Majority of us actually pay so we have no worries), and this may be a real reach but try to enforce fish and game rules against people using bluegill for bait to catch big bass(and say they caught them on a swimbait....Not cool!).....or am I just jealous??
    Peace
    images.jpeg

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  2. NocityBS

NocityBS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +377
    I think one that makes sense and isn't a money issue is installing a size limit for bass. We all know bass need to be harvested to maintain a healthy balance, but fish over a certain length that corresponds with a weight of 5lbs should have to be released. Our lakes are known for trophy bass and the more we do to protect them the better the industry (from lakes themselves , retail and tournaments) here will do IMO.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • List
  3. Queue

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,490
    Boat:
    SR-18
    the most important thing to help the SD County lakes (Morena, Barrett, Sutherland, El Cap, Hodges, Loveland, Henshaw, Wohlford) is increased and then stable water for a couple of years.
    I do know the CDFW biologist and his hired help have been working hard on improving habitat at Henshaw to help the crappie fishery. It's time consuming, hard, labor intensive work to find habitat, get permission from the land owner, cut it, haul it, prep it and sink it/place it, GPS it and map it. I think he is up to around 300-400 brush units.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  4. chris102681

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,021
    Open olevenhein reservoir! !!

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • List
  5. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,852
    PLEASE KEEP THIS LIST ABOUT IDENTIFYING ISSUES. I'll be deleting every post in the thread that isn't identifying an issue.

Make your post meaningful. This WILL be used to identify the key issues facing freshwater fishing in San Diego County. Fishermen don't get anything accomplished around here because they can't organize their thoughts and band together. We need to change that first and foremost before you can expect anything to change with the management of any of the lakes.

If someone brings up an issue that you want to second, or that you agree with, PLEASE either like it, or agree with it using the rating icons at the bottom of each post. That'll help tremendously.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  6. chris102681

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,021
    Ban shiners

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  7. scisports

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +10,252
    Online daily permits

• Like Like x 8
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  8. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,852
    I would like to see larger rainbow trout stocked at Miramar and Murray. Whether that's the city approving a fish stocking budget to resume fish plants from hatcheries like Mt. Lassen, Chaulk Mound, or Jess Ranch...or the CA DFW stocking fish weighing 2 pounds or more on average instead of .5 pound at those two reservoirs.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 4
    • List
  9. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,852
    I would like to see an inspection process put in place at Lake Wohlford for quagga mussels so that private watercraft can be allowed back on the water. I'd also like to see the city of Escondido maintain a minimum water level at Wohlford in order to allow the user of the launch ramp. Or, if that's not feasible, the launch ramp needs to be extended.

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 6
    • List
  10. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,852
    I would like to see San Vicente, El Capitan, Lower Otay, and Hodges open 7 days per week, 365 days per year.

• Agree Agree x 25
    • Like Like x 5
    • List
  11. BassinNova

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,693
    There should be an option to pay less for a fishing permit if you are only going to fish for an hour or less. Something like a paid parking lot, 1st couple hours are free :)

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • List
  12. 59lbwsb

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +162
    More trout stocks and larger trout mixed into those stocks. When Miramar stocked the large trout a few years ago it was absolutely awesome fishing. Catching 4-5lbers from a tube in the tulies while bass fishing is pretty awesome. Those trout were ferocious, eating 6" hudds.

Miramar needs to cut back/remove some of their tulies. Obviously this would increase the fish caught and increase traffic, as well as provide some potentially larger fish pushed out into different areas. They should also consider adding some structure. Anyone who has fished Miramar knows its limited. Structure would really help that lake out.

Night fishing - I work mon-fri, I never get to fish the lakes I want to and always have to deal with crowds. I would pay more to night fish; I would probably pay about 20 bucks to night fish some of these lakes. I know they will never open any other lakes for night fishing, so this is kind of a lost cause.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 4
    • List
  13. Uwjon

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +130
    Boat:
    Cobra tandem
    Annual fishing permit good at all city lakes.

• Agree Agree x 17
    • Like Like x 6
    • List
  14. Kira Haley

Kira Haley Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +29
    Don't worry, Jennings's new website will finally give them the ability to update the fish report themselves (finally!). We get control of the new site next week!

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  15. Kira Haley

Kira Haley Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +29
    10% off all of the trout plants at Jennings this year are trophy sized 3-12 lbs. We get 200 lbs of trophy fish next week!

#35 Kira Haley, Dec 11, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2015
  16. Snag

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,302
    Pay 5 times; you get one free fishing day on the 6th visit.

17. gatorfan

gatorfan USN BMC (ret)
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +683
    I would like to see more shore access (and it maintained) at Lower Otay (several spots along the shoreline in places besides right by the dock). I would also like to be able to fish at night!!!!!!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  18. RippinLips619

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +187
    I would like to see more of a ranger presence at all our lakes especially poway with the boats going in hidden bay and ruining it for the shoreline fishermen. It would be benefical for the lakes to announce if their was a die off from the trout stocking, not just say the stock went accordinally to plan. reducing the cost of a rental boat. $35 boat rental at dixon for electric trolling motor that takes 25 minutes to get from one side. the boats at cuyamaca should be 15 dollars becuase it looks like there were floating when the dinosaurs were romaing this planet.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  19. oh da shiz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,299
    Boat:
    Ranger Z21
    I'd like to see a mandatory release of all bass during the spawning months.

Also, maintain a high water level during the bass spawning months.. Hodges, Hodges, Hodges... couple years ago we would have 40-60 fish days when the water level was high.

Better enforcement of the rules of the lakes especially during trout season... Catch your limit and go home. I've seen this at Dixon annually where people catch a limit run up to their car and throw the fish in a cooler then catch another limit. How many trout does one need? I know, I've caught my limit of trout in less then 30 min before and then just switch to fishing for bass.

The ability to purchase an annual permit for a specific lake. I think this would be easier then an annual permit for every lake in San Diego just based on each lake being owned and operated by different agencies.

It'd be awesome if the state or county would introduce Peacock Bass to our area..... hint, hint, Dixon Lake

Also, since when did the tullies in trout cove become a wildlife habitat? Dixon used to clear out a lot of the tullies to provide for shore access.

Open San V already..... God knows it's been poached time and time again already

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  20. Ron Spencer

Ron Spencer Member

Ratings:
    +5
    I believe the Water Dept should make some attempt to hold the lakes at a certain level, particularly over the spawning time. The fisheries just get decimated when they drop the water level 3 ft in a week (Lake Skinner). Seems like a planning and fullfillment issue for Water Districts.....without regard for the impact it has on our fisheries.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List