What improvements can be made to San Diego area lakes?

Discussion in 'Freshwater' started by Kellen, Dec 10, 2015.

1. indymusky

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +665
    Open loveland, sweetwater, oliveheim or however you spell it to boats. Waste of good lakes

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  2. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +29,704
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Or at least Tubes on these lakes.

How about free fishing docks for kids, like Murray had in the day. Get kids with fishing rods in their hands instead of phones and the lakes will have paying customers for life.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  3. BruceSmith

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +602
    Boat:
    Fortune
    Loveland and Sweetwater would be great float tube lakes without having to build launch ramps.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • List
  4. kick_n_bass

kick_n_bass Active Member

Ratings:
    +17
    I feel like lake use fees/permits are warranted and the only way some lakes can get the funding they need to care for their lake. I think they just don't use the money the way they should. I'm also all for poachers being ticketed or arrested. They should be paying the same as the rest of us. I would not have a problem seeing DFG officers at local lakes as enforcement. Maybe that way, the lakes will make more money and use it to put back into the care of their facilities.

5. gabe

gabe Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +11
    1. Clean up the tulles
    2. Annual pass for city lakes
    3. Better conditions at lake barret, roads, launch area for tubes or kayaks.
    4. Sweetwater open to kayaks and float tubes
    5. Big bass program
    6. Otay open 7 days a week
    7. Trout stocks at all city lakes
    8. Night fishing Fri sat sun

#65 gabe, Dec 13, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. chris102681

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,021
    I also don't understand why northern California is so much different as far as regulations go and believe we should follow what they're doing but I'm sure ghe opposite is more likely.

7. Roddd

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +529
    Boat:
    Center console
    Put Nebraska Tailwalkers back in Lake Miramar. The stocking stopped when the recession started. There used to be an entire community of trout fishermen every winter at the lake but it all stopped when the Tailwalkers stopped. Families, float tubers, boaters, shore fishers - everything u can imagine (even some folks in pretty flimsy plastic tubs which were a bit sketchy). A year or two after they stopped the Tailwalkers they started with small stocks of small DFW trout but the bass wipe 'em out in short order. The recession is long over. Let's get the awesome trout and our community back. I still run into people that talk about it in "those were the days" fashion.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. wickedpetedogg

wickedpetedogg Active Member

Ratings:
    +10
    Boat:
    Outcast
    I think all anglers need to clean up after them selfs.

No drinking beer on the water

Also stocking of trout to elcap and Barret

Open lakes 24/7 365 and have more enforcement on the waters. Boats scream past us floattubers and that's not cool.

Also more foot patrol around lakes checking license to weed out those who are taking hogs home when they shouldn't

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  9. DA CZAR

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,109
    Even though Im more of a bass fisherman than trout..I cant agree with this more....There was a time when this was the norm...and its what got me into fishing ..my dad took me when I was a kid and its what hooked me on fishing...the other thing they should consider is charging the walkers or joggers for a parking fee...At Lake Murray this includes over by the baseball fields maybe during baseball season there could be a waiver but after the season I over start it again ..why should the fisherman be the only ones charged ...I don't think we are the ones using up all the facilities resources (ie toilet paper and turning the bathrooms into a trash can) ..Even if its like 50 cents ..All the other lakes do it and people have no problem with paying it...

10. DA CZAR

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,109
    Enforcing the rules of the lake more ... Im tired of seeing people swim in the lakes or kids playing in them like they are their own personal swimming pool

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. DA CZAR

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,109
    Im gonna play devils advocate here....Even though I agree with just about every post here and wish it would happen...all this is gonna come with a price...how many of you are willing to pay higher taxes to make this happen?....I would be as long as it goes to the city lake program to making this happen and not some "city administrators pocket"

12. calidog

calidog Member

Ratings:
    +2
    allow floatubes in Santee lakes for some of the more open water lakes, more access to the San Diego River, and more of an effort to clean up the San Diego River

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. BassinNova

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,693
    Why don't we try to copy other states' policies (ie Texas) that have good fishing programs and implement what they do?

14. rza007

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +982
    +1 on charging the joggers and bikers a small parking fee.
    Ability to purchase permits online
    Offer "twilight" hour permits at a discount.
    Iron rangers that take CC

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  15. chris102681

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,021
    I think having to pay fees to fish is BS! A fishing license should be all I need to purchase.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  16. Uwjon

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +130
    Boat:
    Cobra tandem
    I totally agree that all the walkers, joggers should pay at least a dollar at Murray to park, but I think there's some city charter bs about the parks being free. They use the toilets way more than the fisherman, and tie up more of the employees time.

17. socal114

socal114 Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Stop the overhyped Quagga phobia and allow float tubes/finders. There is a protocol that could be followed to alleviate QM concerns (visual inspections to ensure clean, wash station, etc.) See Cuyamaca...

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  18. StinkyPinky

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +592
    EXACTLY!!! Nobody will ever be able to give me enough valid reasons why we can't. Hell, if I want to take my 14' valco and ten horse Honda out into the ocean at night (as long as lights, etc. are working properly) and be Old Man of the Sea it's my damn choice, isn't it? So basically it comes down to San "I don't want to be liable" Diego. I'll sign a damn waiver I don't care, just stop telling me when and where I can fish unless you want to accommodate my work schedule so I can fish Thursday Friday and Monday too. I've fished the ford night series the past 3 or 4 years and there has not been one accident or issue with any danger. It can be done, so someone needs to start caring about outdoorsman enough to change it

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  19. StinkyPinky

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +592
    While I'm on the soap box, let's get rid of the garbage idea to keep 89% of Loveland closed. What exactly does this do for for anyone? They have staff there every day already, yet fisherman nothing have nothing but a tiny little cove to fish over and over while the pressure pushes fish away to other areas unfishable. Open the entire lake, and at least allow tubers. Oh, and does anyone care about the city's deal with Otay and the Olympic training center? Not me. Build your own non-fishing lake for your "sports" training where it's not affecting fishing and water levels at multiple other lakes month in month out. I know how much Barrett loves being dry because of it

#79 StinkyPinky, Dec 16, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  20. Patch Ellis

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +404
    Open up all of Loveland