What improvements can be made to San Diego area lakes?

Discussion in 'Freshwater' started by Kellen, Dec 10, 2015.

1. Badmiles

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +124
    I think the "no water contact" is more of a liability issue.. maybe to protect us from catching a disease and suing the city... Have you seen the "Barrett Zombie Bass"?

Our local lakes aren't exactly pristine. I grew up swimming and eating fish out of the local North County streams, ponds/lakes... not sure I would recomend it now. Prob safe for the most part but who knows?

I'm sure the city/gov would warn us and spend the $10 tril? to fix the problems just like they did in Fint Mich right.. How many millions of lead weights are at the bottom of each lake? That's prob nothing compared to other toxin levels in the water/mud at our local lakes.

Started this post as a joke... but didn't end that well :)

2. Troy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,035
    Not sure if anyone already said this but I think it would be cool if you lived in San Diego County if you could by a yearly pass to the local lakes... I just got into chucking big baits and only really going for the last hour of the day.. it sucks paying 8 bucks to fish for one hour... Would be cool if you could just drop 200 bucks at the start of the year and not have to worry about it every time.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  3. swamp_donkeys

swamp_donkeys Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +48
    Not enough bluegill, especially at Dixon. Used to be tons but they have been overfished for years, as I see people leaving with buckets full. Lucky if I find a school in the enire lake, makes it a lot harder to target feeding LMB

4. bringwolski

bringwolski Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +62
    I think there is a lot that needs improving in this city for fishing. A quick back story, I am from Wisconsin (moved here in '14 and move back home this august) so maybe I am biased and bitter about it.

1st- How the lakes in SD county are not open 24/7 is beyond me. Just blows my mind because its so ridiculous. I cant even think of an explanation why. Primarily because the lakes will close before the best fishing is in my opinion. This weekend Dixon closed at 530pm. It was still bright and probably a good hour of fishing left, the best hour. And for the other lakes that are only open half the year, it doesn't make any sense at all. Also the lakes open only 3 days a week. There is no reasonable explanation for it. It would probably spread the pressure out across the week better instead of getting pounded on 3 days only, and allow for people that might not be able to get out on the weekend go during the week day.

2nd- Paying for a permit to fish every day. I spent 21 dollars this weekend to fish for 3 evenings. That gets me 1 full year ( March 31st-march30th of the next year) of fishing in WI. 20$ for an annual license that allows me to fish ANY time I want. At ANY lake I want in the state. So long as I'm not breaking the law (trespassing). There are no rules for when I can or cant be fishing, as long as I have my fishing license. Its unbelievable to me that you have to pay every single time you go to the lake here in CA to fish. And where does the money go? Half the lakes are full of trash and never see a ranger (as much as I hate the laws here, if they are in place they should be enforced). The 2nd issue I have with paying for a permit every day most times I go to buy a permit, someone, or 30 people are in front of me asking questions on which flavors of lays they have, what size sinkers are in, can I have a frozen burger etc. I want to rent a boat so take 5 minutes to take my DL info down incase I crash into the rocks at 1.5 mph with my minnkota and die instantly. And im just standing there watching the sun rise/set, prime time ticking away, 1 person working behind the counter, and im just wanting a stupid permit so I can go throw for bass. Either permits should be able to be bought electronically online or at an electronic kiosk, so people can show up and fish. And not be hindered by the people that want to rent a boat and buy a sandwich while asking 10 questions to the one person working while 20 other people wait behind them. Or preferably PAY FOR A LISCENSE AND YOU GET TO FISH WHICHEVER LAKE YOU CHOOSE OR AN ANNUAL PERMIT.

3rd- No water contact and not being able to bring your own boat. Just dumb. I guess I would slightly understand if it was to protect a lake from the transfer of an invasive specie, but from what I read it sounds like quagga muscles have gotten around. Even if it is, back home when zebra muscles and Eurasian milfoil made its rounds, the city hired people to inspect boats at the launch. As for the water contact, I read previous posts saying it was because of the city not wanting lawsuits. If that's the case, make an annual fishing permit for all lakes, and you have to sign a liability waiver when you purchase it. Problem solved. For the people saying "its our drinking water why would you want people in it or boats in it" get out of fantasy land. The rest of this country lets people swim and boat around in lakes. And were doing just fine. Ur drinking water is full of duck and seagull crap, it gets filtered any ways. For the one dude that said "I'm pretty sure it's super illegal to put oil or gas in the water...and plus most of our lakes are drinking reservoirs do you really want everyone's unmentionables in your drinking water?? Water contact would probably just kill our water clarity which in SD we don't know how lucky we are with that." You need to go experience fishing the rest of the country. Where people use boats to fish. Like normal people do. And people swim, maybe pee in the water. Guess what the world still turns and the water gets filtered before drinking so it doesn't matter. As far as water quality I wouldn't say you are "lucky." The fishing would be better if the water quality was stained more. Fishing clear water where u can see 20ft down puts you at a significant disadvantage, and the fish. The 15lb bass that gets caught in 15 FOW by a kid who saw the bass on a bed, anchored his boat, and kept bouncing a jig in the bed for an hour and a half would never have gotten caught because it would have never been seen.

If I offended you or it sounded like a rant my apologies, as that wasn't my intentions. I hope some rules change and things get fixed for your guys sakes as I go back to WI in a few months and take off the fishing handcuffs that nazi occupied Germany (sd) currently has on me. It would be a great thing to see SD fisherman be let off of there leash and actually have the opportunity to take a boat to the lake and fish, go for a swim, and fish any lake with 1 permit for a full year.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  5. fishfanatic

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,191
    Boat:
    Fishcat 4 Float tube
    That pretty accurately sums up my complaints, too. I'm curious to see what the replies to this will be...

6. bigbassgas

bigbassgas Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +49
    Boat:
    fishcat
    Yup...Jerry Mcguired that thing..nice

7. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +39,750
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    And THAT is the reason I fish the IV.. Feel like fishing at 2 in the morning? Build a fire and cook lunch? Keep a legal fish? Stay three days to get away from the parole officer? Let the monsters run crazy without bothering anyone? Don't feel like waiting in line? Get some target practice or hunting time in? No problem..

8. Paulito

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,330

YES, i always opt to drive 20 miles to fish the bay even though i live a mile from a lake. Yes price is the same given gas money, but i dont like institutions that are created for the people, that do not benefit the people

9. Carterantebi

Carterantebi The Skunk Magnet
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +10,791
    Name:
    Carter
    Boat:
    Hobie Revo
    I'm always surprised by how terribly managed the DFG in CA is compared to other states I've hunted and fished. AZ gets probably a small fraction of the funds California fish and game gets, yet they are just so much more helpful and more thrifty with their spending. How come with the amount of money AZGFD gets, they do wayyyyyyyyyyyy more than California DFG does with exponentially higher funds?

10. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,750
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Is that any way to talk about the little lady?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +39,750
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Ask her any time. . little? Thats a matter of conjecture.. How little is little? Lol

12. turbulence

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +229
    A community manager whose sole responsibility is to communicate and inform the various communities that want information on how the lakes are managed and why. Lori provides great information, but its she has other priorities. Have someone with a priority for communication to the communities that use the resources

13. Rude Baits

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +619
    Annual pass.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. bluegillman

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +413
    Name:
    Aqualung
    Find a way not to charge for individual permits at each lake, on top of the CA license?

15. Rxwoman

Rxwoman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +473
    ??
    Aren't the rental boats electric? By the way I second ( third..fourth..?) the trash thing. I see crap EVERYWHERE. How hard is it to take your water bottles, powerbait and nightcrawler containers with you?!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. Rxwoman

Ratings:
    +473
    Aha! So is that how some guys get onto the lake so fast?? They skipped the permit line?? I've wondered if they were camping over night or flew across the lake!
    Last year I was permit checked every time I was fishing. This year not one time. The last time warden also yelled at 2 people who had dogs on the trail next to the water, but he didn't say a damn thing to the boaters who were 10 feet from shore.
    Enforcing the already established rules, picking up trash, and night fishing seem to be popular ideas.

17. bluegillman

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +413
    Name:
    Aqualung
    Annual pass sounds great.

18. turbulence

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +229
    Where is the rule about how close to shore a boater can be?

19. Rxwoman

Ratings:
    +473
    I second that. Nebraskan here. Our lakes are also open 24/7 and they're clean and maintained just fine. $29 for a yearly license and every gas station, marina, bait shop and concession stand carries live bait, minnows, shiners, crawdads, goldfish...
    We also have elicenses. Buy it online, and carry it on your phone. If you get permit checked the warden only has to put in your name and birth date in and there it is.
    Here you have to have a paper copy and god forbid you lose it!
    My husband who REFUSES to go fishing with me here, gladly goes when were back in Lincoln. But I'm just b*tching and moaning as well.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  20. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,855
    She's probably referring to Lake Poway. Other lakes don't have that rule.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List