What improvements can be made to San Diego area lakes?

Discussion in 'Freshwater' started by Kellen, Dec 10, 2015.

1. Werfless

Werfless The Coach ..RIP my friends
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +56,753
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Top reasons to fish the Imperial Valley..

20170429_184325.jpg

2. amsuarez86

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +593
    They had kits which wouldn indicate they were trained in some capacity.

Kits weren't fully stocked and no one knew where they were...

3. amsuarez86

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +593
    Is that a turtle!?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  4. Firemechanic

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +236
    Sounds about right , probably someon3 who was in charge of that stuff retired and no one 3lse stepp3d up

5. crawdadguy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,085
    yes add water

6. Deputy Dusty

Deputy Dusty Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +177
    Name:
    Dustin
    There is definitely a serious problem with obtaining permits at lakes. Most anglers show up right at open and we have to wait in line to get on the water. Dixon is the worst and wohlford is fairly terrible with their broken ticket machine that nobody knows how to work.

The other thing that comes to mind besides the other obvious ones stated is to create more spots from the shore. Spots where I used to go as a kid are overgrown and non-existent. With the increase in fishing popularity and in general population along with fewer spots has led to fishing elbow to elbow on the shores.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  7. VCC

VCC
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +219
    I have not read through this thread in awhile, there are some simple fixes to some of the things on the list but they are going to have to be done by the public, the City is not going budget for anything, unless they see a ROI.
    Trash, form a group to spend half a day to clean up your favorite lake.
    Adding structure, work with the city to allow volunteers to add structure to the lake, I'm sure this would take an act of congress, an environmental study a map of exact locations, the list of material used (with the rise in water prices orange wood would be easy to get and is a hard wood, it would last for some time) how it would be placed and anchored and a host of other questions to be answered 5 or 6 times before it would even be considered.

A host of other wishes on here are personal or in other words what they could do to make it better for me, me ,me.

I see people asking for more activity from the DFG, in another thread you will see people complaining that they were checked by the DFG, cant have it both ways.

I try and do whats right, if a snag line i pull it out, if i see a bird snagged I try and help it. I do not litter, obey the signs , narrows in Hodges, I would love to have the authority to ticket those not obeying the no wake sign, if I got to keep half the money from tickets I would have a new boat in no time.

State facilities are run much more open the city facilities, it is just how it is, and 99% of the reasoning is liability.

All I can say is do our part first and hope the city can do a little on their part, a little is all your going to get if we get anything, way down on the list of priorities.

8. pipster

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +159
    not to be a downer but what has the city done? other then not letting Chollas Lake Park dry up i sure don't see much in the news. the pure water loan made the news yesterday and who knows will that end up killing off a few of the lakes? i had said they need to find another source of water ages ago on this thread to be our only saving grace, sadly they did, to bad they won't just use it strait to tap. but on the good side they did say the impact will be minimal, and if it isn't oh well to bad for you guys.

the people who leave trash behind i can tell you right now are not avid fishermen. they are weekend warriors who figure i paid 8 bucks to fish, they should have a garbage can right next to me. speaking of the 8 bucks to fish, why do they not charge everyone who enters something like they do at el cap and san v? this is my biggest gripe. every year it goes up in price and what do we get out of it? nothing but a few bucks less.

i am sure some will agree with my post, some will see it as being negative, but lets be real its the truth.

9. Queue

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,077
    Boat:
    SR-18
    Structure additions to reservoirs have to be coordinated through CDFW. CDFW has added a lot of fishery habitat into Jennings, Henshaw and Morena over the last 4-5 years. CDFW also has to get sign-off by the water agency to do such activities in their waters for various reasons. To be honest, most of the lakes in SD have adequate structure, it's poor water quality parameters (nutrient rich or nutrient poor) that limit the fishery potential. Invasive species like quagga mussels filter out plankton/nutrients suppressing recruitment of juvenile fish. Carp in Morena, Henshaw and Hodges increase turbidity, enhance algal blooms and stratification anoxia which are also negative towards sport fisheries.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  10. Werfless

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +56,753
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Any reason why we couldn't have true trophy carp fisheries here in SD? Our lakes are small enough that we could manage them...

11. Queue

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,077
    Boat:
    SR-18
    It’s possible. It would require more anglers targeting and harvesting carp. Carp angler purists are their own worst enemy when it comes to growing trophy carp by releasing everything they catch. Just like bass anglers.

#151 Queue, Jul 14, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  12. VCC

VCC
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +219
    What classifies as a trophy Carp?

13. Werfless

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +56,753
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    40s and 50s

14. VCC

VCC
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +219
    Hodges has some that might be close to that, plenty of 25 and 30, I have snagged plenty with crank baits that barely fit in the net. I remember when the lake had tules and when the Carp were moving around the tules would part like a cow was going through then. I have seen schools of 20 plus pound carp cruising around the inlet from Olivenhain.
    They do eat Shad, no other reason you would mouth hook one on a crank bait.

15. fishfanatic

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,714
    Boat:
    Fishcat 4 Float tube
    You'll see this happen at wohlford. I remember when I saw it the first time, I thought it was a bass and pitched to it. Then a fin poked out of the water.

16. Queue

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,077
    Boat:
    SR-18
    Carp will eat shad but are more likely to eat shad eggs when they deposit them during shad spawns I have watched carp follow shad schools and eat the eggs as soon as they’re dropped.

17. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,533
    It can't hurt to email a link to this thread to the City council members and County sup's.

If nothing else it will be more email contacts on the subject at hand.

18. Double Minor

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,164
    2 years later and the machine at Wholford is still hit or miss...

19. tsugg

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,247
    Name:
    Tom
    Boat:
    alumacraft 165
    really simple. It's similar to a professional team. Hire a lakes manager who is well known as a passionate lake Manager(and pay him or her what they want) who truly wants to make San Diego lakes famous again. It's pretty easy here because the weather conditions coperate all year around.