What Is It About Mission Bay?...

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing' started by Creek, May 16, 2018 at 12:37 PM.

1. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,713
    ... that I'm not getting? Counting a better-than-usual outing a couple of weeks ago, I've only done well there three times in the past two seasons. I don't know if that's considered "better" than most people do, or if that's horrible. Compared to places like Spanish, Glorietta or Tidelands however, it absolutely sux.

Doesn't matter what flies I'm using. Doesn't matter what stripping speed I'm pulling at. Doesn't matter what depth the water is. Doesn't matter what the water temp is. Doesn't matter where the drop-offs are. Doesn't matter the time of day, and certainly doesn't matter what the tidal position is. I just suck hind end everywhere on Mission Bay.

I love the clarity of the water at Mission Point. It's really nice there. But its the most frustrating place I've ever fished. Does anyone else have this problem fly fishing Mission Bay (from a float tube)? Is there a trick to it?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  2. AzImport

AzImport Living Customs Violation
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,621
    What parts of MB do you usually cover? Don't fly fish nor float, but I know certain areas the fish seem to be waaaay pickier about what they take.

3. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,713
    Mission Point above all others. I prefer to fish where there's some structure (boats, nice drop-offs, docks, etc). I've fished everywhere on the bay that has structure. Same story with every location. All I have is those three, magical days at Mission Point over the last two seasons.

I don't fish anywhere shallow because that's usually a good spot for grass to be in abundance (yes, I know that Spotties love grass). Plus, I always fish a full-sink tip line that gets down fast. Intermediate line fishing just ain't my style.

I thought for a while that maybe I was moving my flies too fast. So I started twitching them and then letting them fall and sit for several seconds. Nothing. I'm perplexed.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. dooolan

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +569
    Launch at Fiesta Island and fish the channel opposite from Sea World. It is deep enough for sinking line and there are plenty of legal spotties to be had. Way less boat traffic too.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. scisports

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,500
    Try around Vacation Island or at Dana landing area.

6. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,713
    As an afterthought, this isn't a "where are the fish" issue. My sonar (even though some think portable sonars are fairly worthless) goes off like crazy at Mission Point. So if you "believe" that the transducer can pick-up on moving fish - like the manufacturer says it does - then I'm dragging flies right through the middle of all of them, but just not seeing any reward.

7. AzImport

AzImport Living Customs Violation
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,621
    I'd say look into a new fly pattern or somesuch, but something tells me you've got pretty much every trick that can be up your sleeve there already....

8. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,713
    I always come home with a pill bottle full of used flies. Last time I was there I made 13 fly changes thinking flies was the issue. Finally clipped off the upper fly as well and tried dragging a single.. no success.

Good thing is, I'm not alone. Both Richard and Chris (fly fishing pals) have the same problems there. It is what it is, I guess. Maybe things would be different if I was throwing lures or plastics, I don't know. Just preference. I've always flyfished. No desire to try any other method.

9. CraigSmith

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +967
    If you are relying on fish alarms on a portable sonar I would not put too much faith in those. With several portable units I have used over the last 20 years I have had alarms go off when I can clearly see in the water below that there are no fish. So I don't trust fish alarms. However if I do see arches on the screen that means fish. I leave the fish alarm off.

The fish you see on the sonar could be mullet or something else that isn't going to eat your fly. Could even be bait.

Mission Point is an area with some complex currents at different points in the water column. Your fly may not be where you think it is.

10. SDFlyNewb

SDFlyNewb Member

Ratings:
    +9
    I don't have a lot to add because I've had the same problem. I just started fishing in San Diego this season after moving back from the east coast for a few years and have tried mission bay somewhere in the range of 10 - 15 times. Popping all over the place...

I've been skunked all but two days...

Caught what looked to be a Corbina (though I know that would be weird in Mission Bay, but honestly, it's the only thing that looks like what I caught) off the flats where the Creek Inlet comes in by Fiesta island one day and just a couple of spotties the other.

It's a tough spot and I, like you, have no real reason why. I've bounced around to plenty of spots, Fiesta (all sides), Santa Barbara Bay, Dana, even the San Diego River across from Dog-Beach and have been effectively skunked everywhere....

I know I'm dragging bottom, targeting eel grass/structure, changing fly sizes and colors and I'm just not having success...

Spoke to an older fly-fisherman at Fiesta a few weeks back that said the dredging had caused all sorts of issues with the Bay recently, but that's all I've heard as for a reason.

Good luck and if you're looking for someone to head out and get skunked with... let me know! I love learning a spot and getting out there to cast a line, regardless of success...but, damn it's frustrating.

11. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,713
    The "alarm" sound means nothing to me.

12. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,713
    Lets go ! I'm PM'ing you my number.

13. CraigSmith

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +967
    Or Fish icons? They can be suspect too.

Also one thing have experienced in both bays is that a bite can turn off or on with a slight change in current speed - either increase or decrease. I have also noticed this more on mission bay where there are more choke points where there will be higher current speeds compared to San Diego bay. The current changes happen more rapidly at those points.

Typically I find the areas were the bite lasts longest are areas where the current stays at a fairly constant rate for the longest time and the current is not too swift. Note there other areas people suggested mostly have these characteristics.

By the way, mission point is an area where I have had outstanding success but plenty of donuts too. But rarely something in between.

14. mistercameron

mistercameron Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +169
    Do you mean fishing from the rocks on the actual point? Or the sand side?

15. CraigSmith

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +967
    For me, fishing from a boat off the point. From the main channel around to the interior of the basin.

16. CraigSmith

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +967
    You're gonna spoil him:emoji_fish:

17. zoner

zoner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,677
    Name:
    Mike
    I've fished MB for over 40 years. That's shorefishing, kayak fishing, and skiff fishing. I tried fly fishing from shore, but wasn't very successful. When i read Mr Creek's reports it sounds to me like it's more about back trolling from the tube as opposed to casting around looking for fish. I'm guessing that method has been deployed because it's easier to cover ground keeping the fly in the strike zone(on the bottom) that way. Have you spent any time fishing in some of the other coves on the west side of Mission Bay? I'm talking about Santa Barbara Cove, El Carmel Cove, Santa Clara Cove. These areas have lots of weeds and hold quite a few fish at times, and are somewhat sheltered from the wind. Water 6-8' deep in a lot of places. Seems like these coves would be easier to keep the fly on the bottom where you need it. I enjoy your posts sir

18. mattgulptosser

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +606
    Agreed with Doolan. That channel has always produced for me, posting a report soon

19. mcfish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,379
    Boat:
    fisher marine18
    The Mission bay spotties are very grass oriented, so avoiding the grass is not going to pay big dividends. There are fish around the rocks, docks, and pilings, but the grass beds in 6'-10' are stuffed full of spotties! It just seems to fish different from the Big Bay.