What is the best reel grease?

Discussion in 'Fishing Tackle' started by Nick Arevalo, Jan 13, 2021.

1. Nick Arevalo

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,708
    Boat:
    None
    What is your favorite grease for the gears of reels? I've been using the penn reel grease for a while now, and I feel like it doesn't stick on the gears well. Initially the reel is smooth but after a few trips I can feel that the grease has all been pushed off the gears. What are some good brands? Cals? Shimano? Also does anyone know any local shops that sell 3x10x4 ZPI bearings?
    Thanks

2. B8DHOOK

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,090
    I bought a new AR bearing for my Calcutta 400 last summer at Kens Reels in Oceanside ( shop is right in the harbor ). I’d be willing to bet he has your bearing. They are reel wizards in there. Good people too..

3. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,747
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    For gears , Blue Yamaha marine grease , tenacious and when you get an 8 oz tube very economical . Very hard to have anything wash it away from where it is needed . WR

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
    • List
  4. Tony Vegas

Tony Vegas Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +583
    Name:
    Tony Vegas
    good ole jar of Vaseline. Dont go spend too much on gear grease its just that grease........My uncle when i first started to fish had me sit at the workbench and help him service his reels, always said Vaseline worked just as good as any grease with a name brand. When I recently serviced all my reels I take a glob about the size of a silver dollar and put it on a paper towel. Works great, keeps it nice and smooth until the next service. I use my reels in both salt and fresh and do a slight rinse when im done in the bay and that's it. Hopefully new grease helps with it sticking to the gears. If you glob it on the gears make sure to get a qtip and spread it out. doesnt help if your glob of grease gets thrown off the gears.

5. dmorgan3

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,784
    Do you think gear grease works just as good as Vaseline on cuts and burns? Just asking in case I don't have Vaseline handy. I think I would stay away from moly or lithium grease though.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  6. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,739
    kinda depends on what kind of gear you have, and what kind of fishing you're doing.
    If I was pulling on big blue water fish, I'd do a lot more maintenance. For smaller SW fishing, or FW...use grease that stays where you put it, or you can spend time lubing dry gears and bearings when you could be fishing.

7. bassfisherman619

bassfisherman619 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +78
    #7 bassfisherman619, Jan 14, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
  8. Slater

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,700

Do a search for Alan Tani, lots of info & thats what he swears by...

Yamalube Marine Grease - Fishing Reel Maintenance

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. Vpgarcia

Vpgarcia Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +70
    Name:
    Vinent Paul Garcia
    I've been using stp (auto) bearing grease on gears and permatex w/ ceramic micro balls grease on spool bushings. I may try a grease w/Teflon on the bushings

#9 Vpgarcia, Jan 17, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
  10. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,747
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    Coming from an automotive and machinery back ground . Bronze / Brass bushings generally function best with oil . If used in heavy applications IE conveyor systems or heavy equipment a lithium soap or graphite based grease is used . On spool bushings a 0-20 or lower viscosity oils will definitely speed things up as far as function goes , if you are looking to slow things down a 90 to 140 viscosity oil will do the job . I have seen bushings that were oiled their entire service life in heavy stationary equipment that have functioned for over 100 years . Just my $ .02 WR

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  11. Jenx

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,942
    If it has worked for you up to this point, great. But personally I would never recommend Vaseline as a replacement for proper reel grease. Vaseline and WD40 were probably used pretty commonly back in the day for reel maintenance, but there are far better grease and lubes available nowadays, and there is no shortage of info online explaining why both WD40 and Vaseline are not good options for your reel. Also it's not like reel grease is expensive, so there is no need to skimp there.

However, if you need a good excuse for why there is a big tub of Vaseline on your workbench then I guess "I use it for my reels" would probably convince most...:emoji_wink:

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  12. Vpgarcia

Ratings:
    +70
    Name:
    Vinent Paul Garcia
    I'm all ears wr. How often do you apply oil?

13. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,747
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    During regular maintenance or when any drag seems to appear . For instance the Penn reels that have bushings have a spring loaded oil cap on both ends , and probably should have a shot before each trip or if it gets dunked . If your reels require disassembly of the caps there will probably be a felt pad or similar in the cap to hold the oil . The machinery I mentioned had oil reservoirs at each location to retain a constant supply . What bushed reels do you have ? WR

14. Vpgarcia

Ratings:
    +70
    Name:
    Vinent Paul Garcia
    Penn 500's.

15. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,747
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    6C7D72DA-377F-48B4-8207-6F01B4713317.jpeg This is the oiler I use for the Penn stuff the brass end on the oiler depresses the spring loaded ball on the bearing caps and it fills the cap with very little effort, also for handle, crank , and clutch release lever . Just fill the oiler with the grade you want . Bushed reels can be surprisingly fast spinning when set up right . You may have to re- educate your thumb a bit . Hope this helps . Old 2/0 just as a reference to the cap . WR Add This one on amazon looks like it would be ample ,ref=sr_1_47

#15 William Ritchie, Jan 17, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  16. Noms

Noms Dirty taco maker
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,649
    Name:
    Angel
    Boat:
    15 gregor tin can
    Baitcasters get cals and corrosion x.
    Bigger reels get the yamaha blue and corrosion x.

17. B8DHOOK

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,090
    X2 on William Ritchies post.. those big Penns have bushings and they need a good semi thin oil. Grease only the teeth of most reels ( especially baicasters.. ). And very light oil into the axle bearings.. I use 3in1 into my bearings, and then back it up with a small shot of WD-40 or Tri-Flo.. both will break down the viscosity of 3in1 and your spool will spin super free with longer casts.. grease overload is probably the number one mistake people make while restoring / lubing their reel. I’ve done it years ago, and found that my reels were slightly harder to turn, and casting distance was below satisfactory.. Go Light !! Your gears aren’t going to explode or wear out.. Just keep them very lightly lubed and you will see a huge difference in performance over all.. Free Spin reels are the name of the game.. Don’t sludge them up with heaps of grease. It’s just not needed and and and.... just don’t do it ! Lol. ( try using only WD 40 once.. just once.. and put the reel back together and use it ). Tell me how that feels after you’ve done it... and whether you could cast further and had easy free reeling....

18. CraigSmith

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,247
    Been using a Fluid Film for most things that don’t require a heavier grease for about 15 years now. Aerosol can but it comes in other form. Light lubricant and anti corrosive.

Just another option.

Some reels incorporate oil impregnated bronze bushings instead of or in addition to bearings. Generally reel manufacturers recommend against using lubricants or grease on such bushings. I have several fly reels from Ross Reels that use impregnated bushings that I got in the mid 1990’s that have never had a lubricant added by me, even after disassembly following a saltwater dunking. They still spin as freely as a new reel

19. Fat Spottie

Fat Spottie Lord Pitmaster
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +12,372
    Name:
    None Either
    Boat:
    Big Metal One
    Yamaha service grease... sticks way better then the Penn and you can put less on it feels like. I used to use the Penn grease and noticed it was a wise idea to strip it down at least once a year. The Yamaha I can go lighter. Less is more.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  20. NextMikeSays

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,046
    Horse semen works dandy