What time works best?

Discussion in 'Lobster Fishing' started by smokinJoe, Oct 9, 2010.

1. smokinJoe

smokinJoe Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I've been hooping a couple times so far this season and have brought back keepers each time but no limits yet. I'm just trying to find out if anyone has noticed a difference in fishing the later hours of night versus early morning hours? I've gone out from about 6pm to 11pm or so each night and am using fresh caught mackerel as bait. I also heard lobster seem to be more active when there's some swell in the ocean?

2. smokinJoe

smokinJoe Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Nada? 90 views but no one wants to chime in.

Gonna try again tomorrow night around dusk till 10pm or so. I'm throwing hoops off a tandem kayak with a buddy. We've been catching fresh macks about an hour before sundown and using them for bait. I think we may mix it up with some other bait options tomorrow. Probably try a harbor this time as the surf launch backfired once already- we got rolled coming in at night by a little ankle-high wave. Good thing the water is still somewhat warm or it would have been much worse-

3. Oerdin

Oerdin Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I've heard 7pm to 9pm in about 25-30 feet of water but I have yet to catch a keeper this season despite two nights out so you can take it with a grain of salt if you wish.

4. smokinJoe

smokinJoe Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    We've had luck around dusk in the past but not last weekend. Fished for about 4 hours with 3 different bait types and didn't get a single bug. Probably won't hit O'side harbor again anytime soon- although, there were about 6 or 7 other boats fishing in the same area. I'll stick to the kelp beds from here on out

5. jchoe98

jchoe98 Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i haven't tried the kelp beds, but i have been in san diego bay and pulled up 16-20 lobsters with 4 keepers. i've beening going super early/late around 3:00am to sunrise. there's usually no one out there at that hour and so you have the bay all to yourself. plus, you can switch over to fishing once the sun rises. i've switched to salmon heads, but have had luck with mackeral in combination with partially opened catfood as well.