Whatever happened to the beginner fishermen

Discussion in 'General Fishing' started by Linebig, Feb 26, 2019.

1. Linebig

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +12,325
    Boat:
    Stratos 185XL Pro
    whatever happened to the person who wanted to learn to fish starting with a simple rod and reel and box of night-crawlers? Walk to the river or lake and learn to catch a few crappie or bluegill if the winter maybe a trout or two. Understand how to tie a knot. Learn hook sizes and weight sizes and how they work or dont work with various baits. Learn about fishing lines sizes and why one might not be correct. Learn what a bite feels like...

My son use to ask me all the time, Dad.. what does a spinner bait bite feel like... Dad what does a flip bite feel like... he’d be asking me this while drifting a crawler or shiner. I was not about to hand him a spinner bait being 5 years old learning to fish.... I would do the same thing with an adult learning to fish either..... You have to gain the knowledge and understanding first. Getting a bite matters...... learing how to fight a fish matters... learning our gear matters..... land a few fish on live bait and then move to the next level of artifical.

It seems todays new angler has to start with massive swim baits. Then they purchase arguably the crappiest gear imaginable as they dont want to break the bank so they can pay $150.00 on a single bait that they’ll never ever land a fish on. Then they’ll spend another $150.00 on another bait they’ll never land a fish on. Yet wont pay $200.00 for a good swim-bait reel.

Why won't they land a fish? Its not from the bait being bad.... its not even from their gear being bad... And it is..

Its from not knowing anything at all about fishing. Zero understanding about any of it. Todays newbie jumps right into the big pools deepend before they even know how to swim.

I was checking out a post where a person says... I’m new to this swim bait thing... what baits and gear should I get? I check out his page...... what do I find... or what dont I find. Not a single post about fishing. No fishing photos in his photos. Nothing zero anything about fishing. This guy has most likely never fished in his life and wants a new hobby. Great!!! Just dont start with swimbaits!

Then all you hear is screams and cries for help on social media sites. “Why am I not catching fish” “I have not even had a bite in 8 months” “ This bait does not work”

“My reel needs new bearings” ceramic.... yeah thats it... That will help me?

Has it or had it crossed their minds that they dont know how to fish at all.......

The best ones are.......” I have snapped off 3 baits this month...” well.....To that I say try undertsnading what you are doing first. The reel you bought does not match the rod you bought...the baits you are tossing are way too heavy for your gear.. The line you chose is the worst choice and will never work. And you are lucky to be able to cast anyways without casting off baits while starting off with swimbaits.

I read this over and over each week and its starting to get to me...... Then you have the guys..... They say, yeah I know you have not been bit in 8 months...yet keep it up man. It all pays off..... What? No it does not. How, finally getting a bite, maybe... or was it a tree? ....

How would they know they have never ever felt what a real bite feels like...

So lets start to change the narrative.....when a newbie wants to learn to fish and they say they want to get into swim baits..... Slap them and hand them a spinning rod with 8 pound on it and senko.

Rant over........

• Like Like x 18
    • Agree Agree x 11
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  2. yellowtail

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +252
    Very good rant !
    Common sence skipped a generation ?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  3. swings are free

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,305
    Boy oh boy I dont need to add anything to that. I've been saying the same thing for a while now. My biggest fish have came on a maybe a 2 dollar bait . But from rod to reel line and hook I knew from time on the water what gave me the best chance at hook to land ratio. It's simple people don't want to pay their dues anymore. Read everthing you can but nothing beats experience. Learn to walk before you run.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  4. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +33,091
    Boat:
    3 too many
    Maybe it would help if a newbie wasn't crucified on social media and received death threats for keeping a thirteen inch bass for the frying pan. Maybe if people didn't have to worry about their toddler getting threatened with physical violence if they responsibly harvested a fish of legal size hooked so badly it had almost zero chance of surviving...

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 6
    • List
  5. Linebig

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +12,325
    Boat:
    Stratos 185XL Pro
    There is that..... too many people have an over inflated sense of self worth when it comes to bass fishing.... They are not sacred, do we love them... sure. Still.... its just a fish...

6. Ebitda

Ebitda Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +129
    Glorified/stylish fishing is trending. They’ll either figure it out or phase out of it. I hope it’s the latter. I always have spare time and extra baits with me for those, old or young, who are genuinely trying to learn to fish. You can usually tell as they don’t carry an ego around as if they own the water or can outfish you because their gear has less hours on it than their bait company jerseys.

7. bassgalrascal

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,021
    I agree. Over the years, I have found that I don't need the most expensive gear. In fact, my biggest fish have come from walking the shore or wading while using inexpensive gear like Shakespeare or BassProShop that was on sale. Not that I am knocking expensive gear. It will last longer, feel smoother and perform better, and I own some more expensive gear, but not so much of it. I have also caught lots of fish on bargain bin lures too. Fishing is such an adventure.:emoji_relaxed:

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • List
  8. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +15,759
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    So your'e sayin' I can catch fish throwing a giant swimbait on a Spinning rig with 8# line? I'm off to Walmart!

Good rant!

#8 fisheromen, Feb 26, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
    • Like Like x 6
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • List
  9. AzImport

AzImport Living Customs Violation
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,205
    I have always used the cheapest gear I can find, and have a tendency to use cheaper plastics. The only two things I worry about are hook quality and line quality. I laugh when friends talk about getting into fishing and are thus thinking about saving $300-$400 to get set up. Yeah, they'll get set up, but I have told a couple the biggest necessary expense is the license. Everything else can be had cheaper and still get the job done. And its not a total heartbreaker to break something or lose something when your biggest outlay is $40 on a reel or $6 on a spook or something.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • List
  10. Neuroshima

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,533
    But how can I become prostaff and internet famous with just nightcrawlers?

• Funny Funny x 10
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • List
  11. Mogambo

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,668
    Name:
    Al
    Boat:
    19 foot Sea Pro
    It is most gratifying to see a young child fishing by thereselves. Years ago, before the wall was installed along the Mexico/ California border, next to the All American Canal, I often saw a young boy that lived in Mexico, a hundred feet away in a small ranch house. He was fishing with a hand line in the All American Canal. I’d stop and ask how he was doing? He’d show me his stringer. The Border Patrol left him alone. Every time I was scheduled to check on fields in that area I would make up a care package of hooks, line, sinkers, illustrations of knots and bait like worms or shrimp. I’d throw it across the canal to him. He was in hog heaven. But then we built the wall and it blocked him from fishing the All American Canal. That young boy is now in his 20’s. I’ve often wondered how he turned out. I’ll bet he still enjoys fishing.

• Like Like x 12
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  12. Linebig

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +12,325
    Boat:
    Stratos 185XL Pro
    Put the time in... learn the craft and they'll possibly come to you... To me the words Pro Staff is meaningless.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • List
  13. kyle12345

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,751
    Name:
    Kyle
    150 on a lure, unless I am a professional no way I am spending that much on a lure.. I have a hard enough time spending that on a reel.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  14. kciuchta

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,060
    Name:
    Kenny
    Thank Salty Crew for a lot of this...

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  15. Neuroshima

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,533
    Okay, but there's no way these women will date me with my cheap Walmart gear.

Screenshot_20190227-084650.png

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Like Like x 5
    • List
  16. OPERATOR SPECTRE

OPERATOR SPECTRE Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,097
    I've been too low budget for anything nice until recently... Caught everything on a 100 dollar rod/reel setup an old surfcaster (that was stolen), my own tackle, and a borrowed conventional rod from a friend.
    You really don't need crazy gear to catch nice fish.

(edit): I have been buying some more expensive rods and reels recently...

17. flyfishinsteve64

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,660
    Boat:
    2017Crestliner VT-17
    Linebig thanks for the thread, its a good one. I started fishing the old fashion way of drowning worms. I learned a lot about my prey that way. The weren't huge fish but I leaned their habits and for the most part I think they are the same as they grow. With That being said ,this is a new age . I work with these 20,30,and 40 year olds and they are definitely wired different. To each his own on where they start. I do believe in paying your due's. I also hate the fact that you can't share all info for obvious reasons. I have ask for help with largemouth out at the river in recent times but I am more than willing to put in the time and I feel strongly that I should.
    As far as buying expensive gear. I was all ways taught to buy quality and I do because when it breaks I want it replaced. Company's such as sage back up there high priced gear. It breaks due to craftsmanship then they replace it for free. If I break it I pay $50.00 and get a new rod or at least a new section. This can be tricky with some company's not to name any name's (Calstar). I sold dozens if not over a hundred Calstar rods when I use to work for Bob's bait and tackle. I would tell the customer you can buy one Calstar in your life time or three Penn's your choice. At that time Calstar replaced any broken rod no questions asked. Years later they changed it to one year.???? So that can happen I guess.
    Got to get back to work.
    Steve

#17 flyfishinsteve64, Feb 27, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
  18. Larry M

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,757
    Name:
    Larry M
    Now I see why so many fishermen are interested in freshwater bass fishing.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  19. Kam_Walsh98

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,694
    Well put...same with the guys who want to be youtubers more than fishermen.
    I have yet to see those ladies at the bat ray grounds.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  20. flyfishinsteve64

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,660
    Boat:
    2017Crestliner VT-17
    That's cuz they hang out with the fly fishermen ! But I have no proof:) One day I'll get my break.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List