Whatever happened to the beginner fishermen

Discussion in 'General Fishing' started by Linebig, Feb 26, 2019.

1. Linebig

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +13,129
    Boat:
    Stratos 185XL Pro
    Time to get to work it seems...

2. Deputy Dusty

Deputy Dusty Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +180
    Name:
    Dustin
    There’s a lot of factors here but most of us grew up in this fatherless generation with dads not present in the homes and nobody there to teach you the fundamentals as a child. People YouTube what the flashy fisherman are using and try to emulate that. I see these dudes tossing around these 14 pound gigantic swim baits and they cannon ball into the water and never catch any fish. This is a big reason why I’m burned out on lakes and just hit the surf.

I’ll catch more fish and larger fish on a Berkeley storm bait 5 pack of sunfish than most these dudes with their expensive baits.

I also believe these guys don’t know where the fish are. If you know where the fish are and how they behave in the body of water you can use almost any bait to them on the line.

Hell when all else fails for me I’ll throw a night crawler on a bobber and enjoy the water. Ain’t nothing wrong with that either.

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • List
  3. Angler Zach

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +257
    I find bobber fishing a worm to be my favorite style of fishing. As much as I throw artificials to some success and even more failure, there's just something about watching a bobber dive underwater that lights my jimmies up.

Maybe if you (I'm talking to ALL of you) aren't fishing tourneys, or trying to emulate your favorite pro... go a little old school! You'll be surprised how much more fun it is to chill out and watch a float instead of power fishing and looking for a 25lb+ bag.

I'll tell you what. If I've thrown everything in my kitchen sink (fishing bag) and they're still not biting.. I'll concede to my more rational side, sit my *** down, and throw something tried and true, beer in hand.

• Like Like x 8
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • List
  4. tony91723

tony91723 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +308
    Boat:
    I wish
    Swimbait fishing is like the jeep culture. It's swimbait thing you wouldn't understand...

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. fish4bass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +709
    Ive seen Rob fish and trust me his skills are impressive. He has gained so much respect from the bass that they literally chase him around the lake and if you listen very close youll hear a faint cry from the fish saying "pick me-pick me"

• Funny Funny x 8
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. galen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,143
    Boat:
    15 ft Saturn raft
    I think the age bracket driving the swim bait phenomenon is pretty telling. Chucking the big baits seems pretty masochistic from what I can tell. Lots of time and money for most often no reward. carlsbadspotty89,I value your opinion, can you enlighten us?

7. BassRygg

BassRygg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +175
    Boat:
    Topwater PDL Kayak
    Good conversations in this thread.

I started fishing as a kid because my dad took me. Spent many a day soaking worms and catching blue gill. Sometimes so many fish that I lost count. Those days really served as a solid foundation for all my future fishing.

I came to bass fishing late. At a certain point in my life just "soaking bait" became a little boring to me. I was fascinated by those bass fishing shows and I decided to take the plunge. That was 17 years ago and I'm still learning every time I'm out on the water. That's part of the joy of fishing.

I've invested in some quality gear, but I have some cheap stuff too. It just evolved over time. When I could afford better, I simply bought better stuff.

That being said, I can honestly say that I have caught more large mouth bass on a Rat-L-Trap than any other lure I own. Simple Chrome, Blue back with changed out hooks has been my most productive bait all these years. I throw plenty of other expensive baits (but usually nothing over $20) and I always come back to that Rat-L-Trap - especially in shallow water fisheries. It just flat out catches fish. It's easy to cast and easy to use.

The second bait I've caught more fish on than any other is Yamamoto Fat Ika in green pumpkin. Rigged backwards, weightless on a 5.0 wide gap hook. You don't need an expensive rod and reel to use this bait and it works great. Just need a rod that's strong enough to let you pull the hook through all that plastic.

Those are two baits I try to teach/tell new fishermen about. These two baits will teach a guy/gal a lot about bass fishing.

I think new fisherman should try to learn a couple basic techniques and get good at them. I know it's cliche, but there's no substitution for time on the water. There's no quick route to fishing success. After all these years, I still feel like a grinder who's just trying to grind out a fish or two every time out. Every now and then I get lucky and get a bunch - but most of the time it's just a grind. A fun grind, but a grind never-the-less. I don't know if everyone is cut out for that.

• Like Like x 9
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  8. Mogambo

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,717
    Name:
    Al
    Boat:
    19 foot Sea Pro
    The Fat Ika and Rat-L-Trap are both fantastic baits.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • List
  9. Double Minor

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,282
    Try either in your local lagoon or bay and see what happens.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +40,305
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    I have had a lagoon in Mogambo 's area on my mind for a hot minute... Mmmm

11. Bobber

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,563
    I have picked the minds of some of the most successful fishermen here but one piece of advice really stuck with me, it's my go to fishing quote, Werfless told me, "Find a stick, get a piece of string, bend a nail, and GET OUT THERE!" To me he was saying it's not about the gear as much as it is TIME on the water. So I may whine sometimes about not catching anything but I keep going. One day a fish might accidentally run into my hook and I'll learn a thing or two.

12. rza007

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +864
    Learn to crawl before you walk. Today’s dudes dive in like they’re Olympic sprinters.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  13. Noms

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,235
    I get customers at work that wear Salty crew gear. When I ask "how's the fishing been going" 90% of the guys reply "oh I don't fish". One guy said he just liked how it looked and bought it at the mall.
    I kinda hate how social media and apps like fish brain burn out spots but hey it's a free country. That's my only complaint, especially when I start seeing more trash.

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. swings are free

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,696
    If you like your privacy you don't want fish brain on your phone.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  15. kciuchta

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,502
    Name:
    Kenny
    Next time ask them how the surf's been.

16. MattL

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,289
    Name:
    MattL
    One thousand percent agree with OP and relieved to see that everyone else does too. All the best anglers I know are not very concerned with their gear. I know one old timer who fly-fishes in New Mexico and has been using the same leader for fifteen years, just swapping out tippet.

Blame social media, but before that, blame bass fishing culture. It's where all of this hyper competitiveness and conspicuous consumption comes from. It's bled over into every kind of fishing but it started there. Now, fishing is synonymous with marketing.

With social media, people fish for validation now. A fish doesn't count unless it's a prestige species caught with prestige brands. There's a strong class element to it as well. Live bait and Shakespeare rods are for the proles, apparently.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  17. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,948
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    But there is certainly satisfaction in graduating from live bait to being able to fool fish with artificials and technique. That does not necessarily translate to class competition, though it often does.

My fishing skill as a youth amounted to putting a piece of Chicken liver on a single hook and lofting it so that it did not fly off the hook. At night I had to listen for one or two splashes. I was very happy when I found out there was a more interactive way of catching fish. However, if I were to go to the river this weekend, I would again be lofting chicken livers at night and listening for the splashes. There is room for all of it without animosity.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • List
  18. MattL

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,289
    Name:
    MattL
    Totally agree, there's a whole lot of fishing to be done. I'm referring to the elitism people often carry around about how they fish and what they fish for. In context of this conversation it's bass guys who think they're Chuck Norris because they have fifty bucks on the end of their line.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  19. tony91723

tony91723 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +308
    Boat:
    I wish
    More like a hundred and fifty bucks.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  20. kyle12345

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,132
    Name:
    Kyle
    Look at noodlers, they just use their hands..

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List