Whatever happened to the beginner fishermen

Discussion in 'General Fishing' started by Linebig, Feb 26, 2019.

1. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,999
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Fortunately for fish everywhere it does not appear that Chuck fishes. This is the closest thing I could find:
    Hilarious Chuck Norris Advert!!

2. mcfish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,944
    Boat:
    fisher marine18
    Sir, this is 2019..we must have animosity! We cannot simply appreciate someone else opinion..we must mentally and sometimes physically assault that person and everything they stand for! There is no room for 2 different opinions..the other must always be wrong! If I use nightcrawlers and you use red worms...you must be an idiot! At least that's what they'll teach you at U.C Berkely!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,661
    When I heard there were fantasy fishing leagues I thought it was proof that the end of days was nigh. But that was a decade back, so...
    I guess it's about how you first come into contact with the pastime.
    For me, it was soaking worms. Dad bought me a Zebco 77, charged me with catching nightcrawlers from neighbors' yards on Friday night, then drove me out to fish on Saturday morning at one of the canals between Stockton and Lodi. A farm boy, his idea of fishing was a cane pole and a string so we learned to cast together.
    On my own, I'd fish at The Levee (a neighborhood ditch that fed into White Slough in the farmland right outside our neighborhood). Sometimes I'd fish up at Five Mile Creek, but nobody called these bodies of water by their correct names.
    "Mom, I'm gonna fish up at The Bridge!" as Danny Benson and I pedaled away. The creek widens into a proper canal by these big concrete bridges in the middle of agricultural land with no roads in sight. Then they started grading an actual divided road to the bridges...which later became I-5. Mostly we'd catch bullheads, small bass, sunfish and bluegill. I did catch a tiny striper once at The Bridges.
    I wanted to fish everywhere (there was water everywhere we went) but Mom often made me leave the Zebco at home on day trips. She wanted me to do family stuff rather than be off fishing by myself, getting all muddy and refusing to reel it in when it was time to go home. Got to the point where I'd hide my gear in the car when I heard we were going on a picnic somewhere. When we got to our destination, I'd always volunteer to unload ALL the picnic stuff. So I'd have the car keys in my pocket...and "forget" to give 'em back. Hang with the family for a while, sneak off to find the nearest water, and retrieve my rod and reel if anything looked promising. I'd try to get the gear back in the car before Mom had my sisters track me down so we could go home.
    That ended the time we visited Micke Grove Park which had a small zoo. When it was time to go home, I was down in a concrete-lined ditch behind the zoo, fishing for tiny bluegill with doughballs made from a baloney sandwich. Standing ankle-deep in the mud that wasn't really mud...it was the stuff they washed out of all the animal cages. I still remember my sister standing on a bridge yelling down at me that it was time to go home. I kept fishing...'til Mom showed up, and she was HOT. Dad was okay with me fishing, just not with me holding up the whole family for 45 minutes when we needed to head home. And Mom was NOT okay seeing my socks and shoes and lower legs coated with polar bear poop. She hollered at me to go get cleaned up. I headed for the nearest water source...and turns out, the people who run the Japanese Garden's Koi Pond do NOT like kids dipping their crap-covered feet into the water. I got hollered at a lot that day.
    When we moved back to Lemon Grove, there weren't a lot of fishing options. Lake Murray was a seven mile pedal away, so I didn't bother very often, and you could only fish the "kid's pond" unless you could afford a permit.
    The little Zebco died from operator error. Back in Stockton, if I got dirt in the reel I'd dunk it in the canal and rinse it off. Every so often I'd take it apart and lube it. The error was the time I was trying to catch something...anything...off the rocks in what's now the closed bird habitat on Mission Point. Dunked the reel in the water to rinse it...didn't know that wasn't such a good idea in salty water.
    Dad picked up a Garcia-Mitchell 324 and a St. Croix baitcasting rod while in some duty-free port on a WestPac cruise, and that combo replaced the Zebco. I fished with that setup for a couple years, a few times at Murray and whenever the fam or the Scout Troop camped near a lake or river. Later, I used that combo at the OB pier.
    But even then and for many years afterward I only had two 'tricks.' Soak bait or throw a spinner. I just liked being outdoors and near water, which brings us back to the point.
    I got into fishing because I like the solitude. I like seeing wildlife that's always near water. I like trying to figure out the one place in that little step-across that might hold a fish, and getting it to hit a lure. Or find the one spot on the beach that's holding perch...and see if I can hook a few.
    Someone who's introduced to fishing nowadays (!) might be more influenced by TV or the interwebs. Maybe they are more boat-oriented, or be all about the offshore or green bass pursuit. And they might be influenced by seeing tournaments on TV, or all the shiny anodized two-speed reels mounted on custom-wrapped rods in the tackle shop at the marina. It's easy to get caught up in having the right stuff, and don't get me wrong, if I had the time and budget I'd have the shiniest glitter boat and color-matched truck on the planet, providing tons of laughs while trying to back down a ramp. But...
    Somehow I manage to have fun bumming an occasional ride on someone's boat. Or pumping shrimp and wading the flats at Mariner's Basin. Or pushing through the poison oak to throw lures at tiny largemouth bass. Or kicking around in a tube catching little fish. Or for a few choice days each summer, hiking along a little Eastern Sierra creek, trying to put a rooster tail where a trout can grab it.
    And the rankest of beginners could tag along and maybe catch a few. Maybe they'd become tackle hos, maybe get into something more complex or competitive...doesn't bother me much.
    Unless they give me the stinkeye and start muttering at me for breaking rules that exist only in their own heads. And it does seem like newcomers are more apt to do that.

#43 carpkiller, Mar 8, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
    • Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. RolloTomasi

RolloTomasi “,,, prisoner in a world of mystery...”
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,632
    Name:
    c
    Boat:
    Nice tube cheap yak
    Not a rant, but, because of the following passage, it’s helpful instruction (and you didn’t single out anyone):
    Nobody wants to look like a pallbearer in a snorkel, and I appreciate the experience behind your post. (Better than offering ridicule.) As a beginner, I have three goals:

1. Learn to fish;
    2. Pay it forward;
    3. Pay back those who helped me.

#44 RolloTomasi, Jun 5, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
  5. Drinktowind

Drinktowind Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Ha ha... Look carefully at your description and feel...

6. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +97
    If you don't have the latest greatest don't try to fit in you won't i catch a lot of fish with my old out dated gear that I love I'm not above using fire pit nails me and my son fish together a lot it's always good times we both learn every time out we have been fishing together for almost 20 years still a beginner

7. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +40,456
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    In some ways, every fisherman is a beginner

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1