What's with these bugs?

Discussion in 'Lobster Fishing' started by SoCalFisher, Oct 3, 2016.

1. SoCalFisher

SoCalFisher Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    So went out hit it hard opening night tried everywhere tried shallow deep really shallow mid-range till about 5 a.m. for no luck so I decided to try my luck again went out Saturday night when I got on the water at 8 o'clock fish that till about 4 a.m. with one short for the whole night. On my way back into the launch ramp I stop by some rock piles I can rock a short line so he said to pull the boat up close to shore shining a light in the water and seen at least two dozen lobsters within 2 feet from the shore most of them look legal size 2 so I drop my nets for the last time I literally watched the lobsters crawl right past my Nets with bait packed in them. don't know what is happening with these lobsters but they are definitely not on The Chew! Exact same scenario for last night except this time I did I went ahead and hit it from the shore left the boat at home and I can see the lobsters in plain sight I can see my Nets and lobsters just weren't interested. As far as that goes I had cured salmon heads and cured sardines both packed in the bait receivers the bait receivers.

2. old_rookie

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,395
    My theory is like this....
    When I walk by the Costco at my work, if the breeze is up I can smell them baking chocolate chip cookies. Makes me want to go over and get some.
    So, if the bait you have are the chocolate chip cookies, and the breeze is the water current, then the lobsters will 'smell' the cookies, I mean bait, and head over to it. For the time you were there, you hit at least one tide swing - so the scent of the cookies, darn it, I mean bait, must have drifted. Unless the times that you were observing the lobster movement was during slack tide. Just my 2 cents.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. Cheese Whiz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,589
    Bingo, at least from what I've heard at the lobster fishing seminars from the experts.

4. Cheese Whiz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,589
    I'll be out Tuesday night working hard using your theory, i'll let you know if it works.

5. old_rookie

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,395
    Just don't use cookies.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. shaun619

shaun619 Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Boat:
    none yet
    Keep me posted i have to take some out of towners to the 9 on Saturday but will be back out sunday

7. Cheese Whiz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,589
    Planned to start hooping around sunset last night but the winds/swells outside the Jetty were pretty rough so decided to save our bait and get out another day. So my report of lobster hooping will be coming another day instead haha.

8. shaun619

shaun619 Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Boat:
    none yet
    You did go inside the bay was it rough there also and was it alot of boat out there

9. JC389

JC389 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I went out Sunday and Monday. 8-1 and 6:30-1 in the bay. 5 keepers and 2 the 2nd night. Pretty depressed as normally catch our 21 limit the opening weekend. Used live bait from the barge both nights and $35 for half a scoop as the prices went up. MY question is, can you just throw your nets in the water from shore? and what shoreline do you go to to throw them in?

I have noticed it seems all lobster fishing guys at night like to keep everything a secret. We should have more info for everyone to have better success? Any help is appreciated! Thanks

10. Cheese Whiz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,589
    No I had planned to fish the kelp line but was too windy/choppy to make it easy to drop the nets in an organized manner. Didn't feel like fishing Mission Bay, was super crowded near the Jetty so just saved our bait for another day.

11. tweaker510

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +280
    went to SD bay last night 10/04. super crowded out near zuniga jetty. only 1 legal and 1 short in 4 hours. tide was ripping too fast at some points