When you find them those crappies.

Discussion in 'Panfish' started by JustBass, May 8, 2019.

1. JustBass

JustBass Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +209
    I’m so having fun with crappies right now. I might have to change my screen name to Just_Crappie instead lol. Anyway got two new UL rod and went out for the first run. Not bad for cheap Chinese rod, I can cast 1/24oz jig with baby shad (total weight 2.3 grams) into wind for about 30-40’. Anyway I want to share this clip with you guys.

2. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +35,207
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Very nice. Dropping a view and subscribe right now..

3. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +35,207
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Gave you a comment too, of course

4. spoonminnow

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +768
    I have an underspin lure - will have to try it next time I'm out.
    Ever consider a spinning reel for light lures?

5. JustBass

Ratings:
    +209
    I have spinning reel Sahara 750 that I used to cast 1/16oz marabou jig, in-line spinner and small kastmaster, I don’t think I can cast any further with spinning reel compare to my set up right now. I could try but why? I’m not really comfortable fishing with spinning for such long period of time. Beside that I hate fixing this.
    BD46989C-C552-46AA-995B-B855C93943AD.jpeg
    The reason I choose baitcaster over spinning base on how comfortable and performance alone, not to show off. I do have a nice set up of spinning one for bass, Shimano symetre 2500 pair with Shimano crucial dropshot specific and president 6930 pair with crucial inshore rod for catfish. I use those every once awhile. I’ll take out my spinning outfit when I fish in tight location or at night in a boat where I don’t have to worry about backlash and accuracy.
    This baitcaster is not really new hype to me, I think I have tried to use baitcaster for light lure even before those of BFS hype. Do you think how long ago this photo taken?
    0E865C47-D56B-4355-8C31-EAB304AB4955.jpeg
    48C750A2-9ACC-478A-9879-708A52AE7361.jpeg

Man I look so damn young 15 years ago.

#5 JustBass, May 12, 2019
    Last edited: May 12, 2019
  6. spoonminnow

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +768
    I have spinning reel Sahara 750 that I used to cast 1/16oz marabou jig, in-line spinner and small kastmaster, I don’t think I can cast any further with spinning reel compare to my set up right now.

So now you're casting a 1/64 marabou jig with a baitcast reel ? Impressive !
    As far as line tangles like in the photo, over filling is usually the problem or line twist if monofilament is used. Trying to cast light lures with line that is too large in diameter as in the photo, creates the same line mess. I never have a problem using braid with spinning or spincast reels casting 1/32 oz jigs with soft plastic lures. Line diameter is 2# test equivalent but 8# test line strength.

#6 spoonminnow, May 12, 2019
  7. JustBass

Ratings:
    +209
    Never said I cast 1/64 marabou jig. I don’t have right rod for that either caster or spinning. I can’t even cast 1/32oz jig on spinning. I stop invest in spinning rod long time ago so the lightest I have is ML which only capable of maybe 1/16oz. Believe me I was thinking really hard if I should get new spinning rod or casting rod but like I said, I don’t use spinning often enough to justify buying a new rod.
    The line I have in Sahara is Daiwa j braid 20lbs equivalent to 6lb mono I don’t think I overfilled but who know I’m not expert on spinning.
    Again I don’t shut spinning completely, I still using my spinning from time to time mostly night time bobbers setup, I might end up buying another 6-7’ Light or UL spinning rod for those 1/32-1/64 jig. I actually have one in mind already just wait for the right moment.

#7 JustBass, May 12, 2019
  8. JustBass

Ratings:
    +209
    You know what, I just ordered 6’6 UL spinning rod LOL.

9. Fishingnoob619

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +366
    Off topic but how do you fit 10 people in that Element? I say ten cause I see that family sticker in the upper right of your rear window lol

10. spoonminnow

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +768
    Hopefully you have a smaller spinning reel to go with it.
    Not sure of the line your using, but a 20 # test braid is almost always 10# test or higher diameter regardless of the label. I use KastKing SuperPower braid in 8# test with a 2# diameter and a mislabeled 10# test Gander Mountain braid with a 1# test diameter. I've given up being able to see the line for better strike detection and lure action in deeper water though KK offers brighter colored lines. (note: KK braid is sold on Ebay and priced better than any braid sold)

Filling a spinning spool is the same for casting - to 1/8" from the lip of the spool. A 6'5" UL with the right diameter line will cast light lures over 30' but my suggestion is to usually make the cast close to the water rather than overhand making a circle just before releasing the line/lure.

11. JustBass

Ratings:
    +209
    Super easy, I guess you’ve never seen inside element that why you asked.
    Let’s see
    2 on front seat
    3 back seat
    2 between front and back seat
    3 in cargo area.
    That 10 lol.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  12. JustBass

Ratings:
    +209
    You don’t think Sahara 750 small enough? I think it the same size as 500 just bigger spool, or 1000 with smaller spool something like that.
    Don’t just believe in label
    Kastking braid .09mm
    Daiwa j braid 20lb is .009 inch .23mm
    Most of mono 6lb is .009 inch .23mm
    P line braid 15lb also .009 inch .23mm

13. spoonminnow

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +768
    Diameters printed on the spool are one thing - how they feel between your fingers is another which is why I mentioned Gander Mt. braid. The feel of the line is #1 test diameter meaning the real test is 4-6 lb not 10.
    The line diameter in the photo looked like 20# test/ 10# diameter and therefore your main line was much too thick even though you used a thin leader for the light lures pictured.

Another thing to consider is line softness. If the braid used is too soft, it has a tendency to tangle and bird nest regardless the reel type and it can't get pulled through line guides fast enough by light lures especially using a baitcast reel. Wind makes the problem worse when casting into it. The same applies to braid that is too stiff : too much resistance coming off the spool and slapping through the guides. Fire Line is one of the worst for stiffness due to a coating which wears off fast. That's the problem with old mono being left on the reel year after year - coils that resist line passing through rod guides and especially when casting light lures 1/8 oz or less.

Thicker line diameter = more line bow under water made worse due to the combination of a longer casting distance + a deeper lure retrieve resulting in reduced strike sensitivity and hookset ability.
    The lighter the lure + the deeper the retrieve horizontal to the bottom, the worse the problem. I can't think of a reason to ever use a thick and/or stiff line with light lures.

I realize you know all of this proven by the many fish you catch, but others may consider using other lines if they've been experiencing any of the problems mentioned.

JMO

#13 spoonminnow, May 13, 2019
    Last edited: May 13, 2019
  14. JustBass

Ratings:
    +209
    I believe you I will switch my line to either #4 izorline or 18lb gliss line. As you know I’m still new in crappies fishing as well as bass fishing.
    Thanks spoonminnow you are always helpful.

15. Capt Ray

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,235
    Name:
    Ray
    For UL application I would suggest you take a look at 6lb Berkley Crystal Braid. 20lb seems pretty stout for UL fishing. There is more to it than just line dia.

16. spoonminnow

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +768
    ...as noted in my reply.
    Thanks JB. You'll find that a light action rod is extremely important when it comes to light lure casting and hook sets using lighter test line. and believe me - big fish can be caught on light tackle! Here's one:
    L9fioTF.jpg

It was one of many very large fish caught using a 1/16 oz jig head with a Slider Worm attached to 8# test braid/ 2# diameter and light action rod. This cat weighed approx. 7 lbs. A carp weighing 15 lbs was also caught using the same set up but different lure. Took forever bringing them in for release, but the rod held up even when the fish dived under my boat.

The most important thing in my experience using braid is not have to worry as much about it breaking like mono even though many claim braid is not abrasion resistant. Heck, I've pulled my row boat a distance to free a lure snagged on a tree limb or from a log in shallow water where the t.m. had to be raised and the line hadn't been changed in months!

A suggestion as regards hooksets with a light action rod and small diameter braid:
    Don't do a sweeping hookset like with bass gear. Once you feel the strike (a slight tick or loss of feel), raise the rod tip like you're slowing taking the lure away from the fish. The fish don't like that! LOL and will clamp down even more not wanting it to escape! In fact, fish many times will attack again more aggressively a second later as the lure comes loose allowing you another chance to set the hook. Once the fish panics, the hook's point sets deeper allowing you to add to it with a firmer hookset - but not too much. What's cool is to slowly reel crappie in without using the rod. It's the only species I know that becomes docile and slowly swims towards you as line is reeled in - no matter the crappy's size!

Small lures can be used under a float and believe it or not, the hookset is even easier as the fish take the float down fast. Same thing applies: rod tip raised until the fish panics.

#16 spoonminnow, May 13, 2019
    Last edited: May 13, 2019
  17. JustBass

Ratings:
    +209
    AFD74BA3-4AC2-435C-A42B-88D917440734.jpeg Here the fish after clean up and spool with new #4 copoly line. Caught about 10 of this size mostly reel in slowly parallel to dock. Also caught a small bass and lost him, this is second bass I lost from UL setup due to no hook set.
    The rod is Shimano sensilite 6’6 UL 1/32-3/16, but fish more like Lite, I doubt if in can handle 1/64oz jig head as I hope for. The casting distance is of course further than my casting but still need getting used to and improve on accuracy.

18. spoonminnow

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +768
    Nice going JB!

Tip for anyone who loses fish after good strikes:
    Day before yesterday I started losing fish that I know should have been solidly hooked on my 1/16 oz jig. Hook gap was the culprit. There are two ways to look at hook gap: too wide or too narrow. Getting stuck on a rock or tree and pulling free - especially using braid - usually opens the gap causing the hook point to slide on an attempted set and not pierce the skin. Needle nose pliers is a necessity to correct that bringing the hook parallel to the shank and at times slightly more towards it.

On the other hand, the gap may need to be increased slightly from the usual gap to be able to set the hook. It could be that some lures require it while others don't.

Lastly, a small file is the other must-have tool! If the hook point doesn't stick into my skin with the slightest pressure, it must be sharpened from three sides: the sides and top of the tip. Even a barb is not as important as a sharp point !

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  19. fishfanatic

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,974
    Boat:
    Fishcat 4 Float tube
    Careful with those. I once was trying to do just that, holding the lead head with my other hand and snap goes the hook, straight into my hand holding the lead. Always been suuuuper careful after that

20. spoonminnow

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +768
    Luckily bronze hooks are easy to bend and I haven't broken any. Usually bending the hook up or down is a short distance - the pliers holding near the upper part of the bend. Hook gap is super important for any size fish and I check if after pulling a lure free from a snag.