Where’s the bite, what’s everyone doing?

Discussion in 'Bass' started by Linebig, Jul 25, 2019.

1. Linebig

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +13,125
    Boat:
    Stratos 185XL Pro
    This is something you see a lot in forums as well social media pages.

Is there top water?
    Is the frog bite happening?
    Are they deep or shallow?

All these questions and ten fold more.

And you may get an answer like- Yes, been hitting top water at Otay.

Or- Yes, Frog bite at V has been off the hook.

Then you show up and there is no top water and or no frog bite.

So you post that there is not frog bite or top water bite. I was using the same baits the post said. There was nothing not even a sniff.

The lakes are huge. And you may not have been where those bites are. You may have no idea where those bites could even be. That does not mean they are not there. It does not mean the lake is slow.

It only means you don’t know whats going down on that body of water in that location on that day.

A tiny bit of intel can be a very dangerous thing to your fishing day. If you don't know how to decipher whats being said then you may be beat down by days end.

People are not going to give you exact locations and pin drops of where their boat was on the lake when they found their bite.

They are not going tell you what time it was and what depth they were at. And they should not have to.

Many posts are 100% “in general terms”.

And thats pretty much all you should need.

The guys who tube..... Getting intel from boaters..... One of the worst things you can do. You have no way of hitting the areas or finding them unless you happen to get lucky and drop in right there.

The bite for the tuber is not the same as the bite for a boater.

I have been on incredible top water bites with tubers in the area. They had to worm or hope something happens around them. The fish were moving too fast and never went in their direction. They had no chance of chasing them.

So, does my top water report matter when I am getting them in 80ft of water just off the bouy in the main lake at San V? No, not to them. They are not even allowed out there as its right smack next to the skiers. They cant get to those fish without putting themselves in harms way.

And that bite was in a place so far away they could never get to it even if there were no skiers. Maybe if someone dropped them off... Thats it.

Or, The frog bite is killer.

You better understand how to fish a frog and you better be damn accurate on your casts and thats the true key to frog fishing. And you better know where to fish a frog and have the right gear to fish a frog or you will end up
    Blanked and saying there is no frog bite.

Many times the bites are specific to a location. Something brought those fish there. And it was food that did it. Food brought them there. Its not happen chance. When you find them it can be amazing for weeks at a time. Yet others are saying the bite is slow. And it very well might be at those locations. Yet “the lake” is not slow.

Always remember- Someone is always doing extremely well out there no matter what the conditions are.

Just look at tournament results as a guide. 50 boats. 10 teams do well. 20 do very average and 20 do horribly.

Its simple. Its like that always.

The key for all of us is not to be the bottom 20. Meaning.... the blank city crew or the 1 fish crew. We want to be an always should strive to be the Middle of the pack 20. As that gives you possible hope to get into the upper level numbers for the day.

To do that for a normal day on the water or a tournament day you cant go into it Hoping they bite today. That is not a plan for success on the water.

Hope is not a plan.

Figure out your bite for your location you fish. Then you can start to widen that and expand on it by finding similar type areas if you have a way to move around the lake. By doing that you increase your chances of having a great day vs being bummed at days end.

Take posts about how well or how bad someone is doing with a grain of salt so to speak. Then ask yourself...... Does this post even relate to me or not?

A post from a tuber saying its slow... That post does not relate to me. I don't pay them any attentions less being bummed they could not get them.

Keep this in mind while reading posts on fishing reports.

7C069E7A-ECBA-43D9-A5CC-25C739900543.png

• Like Like x 14
    • Agree Agree x 7
    • List
  2. tsugg

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,425
    Name:
    Tom
    Boat:
    alumacraft 165

3. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,931
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    So you're saying get a Dixieline hat?

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  4. tsugg

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,425
    Name:
    Tom
    Boat:
    alumacraft 165
    and I can buy three new frogs every 4 weeks if I stop with the hair cuts!!!!

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. tsugg

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,425
    Name:
    Tom
    Boat:
    alumacraft 165
    Beautiful fish and happy fisherman!! Un beatable combo!!

6. Bassrunner115

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +129
    Boat:
    Chrysler 1979
    • I finally figured out there might be a bite going on in the trees. Fished Monday morning till noon,for zero bites. Passed Otay Michael on the way out, his day went much better. Guess I started too early that day; it’s really hard to read between lines for exact information.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. Linebig

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +13,125
    Boat:
    Stratos 185XL Pro
    Bam! Thats it... its not easy. Yet now you have more intel to work with. What you do with that intel is up to you. :):)

8. JJbasser

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,269
    :emoji_joy: couple a beers or just bored? :)
    hey, just watch van damm(who) at major league fishing, catch 0 bass, while others on the same lake catch over 20!
    i ain't happy when i can't find em, but i know someone probably is.

9. Slater

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,201
    Being a religious shore pounder as you know, theres days where I'm pounding areas where I have over & over again caught fish but at times I ask myself am I fishing the desert...
    Have no idea if they're there? there but not biting? there but not biting what im throwing? lockjaw?
    Last weekend came to the conclusion that they wanted the green pumpkin texas rigged......
    Thats very different than what I usually get them on...

10. VinnyBass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +10,056
    Well said Rob.
    I remember when the Union-Trib used to post fish reports weekly decades ago. If you saw "good fishing" or it mentioned "good top water action at a lake, and I used to think....heck, I should go there this weekend. Then you would read "poor fishing" report at a lake and I would catch a dozen bass there that day. After years of fishing, I just didn't pay much attention to the fish reports and just went fishing wherever I wanted to go. The plain fact is that on any given day, you may have a good to great day or a slow to terrible day of fishing no matter what a fishing report may say.
    People had different sets of fishing skills and you may be throwing the same lure that Rob throws and he is landing bass left and right and you are looking at the same lure on your line that does not seem to be working...(heck..maybe its broken or I have the wrong color???...ha ha)
    So reading a fish report posted on SDFIsh is basically what that individual using his or her fishing skills did that day and does not guarantee anything to others heading to that lake. Bass move around constantly and sometimes you could be in an area where everything goes off on a certain bait or two and yet everyone else on the lake had a tough day. Then head back to that same spot a week later and lucky to get even a bite there. Don't be afraid to cover different parts of the lake and try different lures/techniques and find things that work for you. Also don't be afraid to experiment with a few new things or techniques as the bite often changes.
    The key is to just get out there and fish as often as you can and don't always rely on a fish report....it is up to you to hopefully entice the fish to bite using skills you learned no matter what any fish report says.
    Tight lines. :)

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  11. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,931
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Or hats!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  12. VinnyBass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +10,056
    Thanks Paul..I forgot to include hats.
    The Ranger Boats hat works for me.
    :)
    IMG_8198.PNG

#12 VinnyBass, Jul 25, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  13. Nute

Nute Researcher...
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,473
    Well, being that most of us are fisherman here.......I dont believe sh$t. There's useful information out there for sure. However, unless your *** is out there on the water, there's really nothing to gauge opinion from. It's here-say at BEST. Direction can be taken, but the bottom line comes down to not only time on the water, more importantly EFFECTIVE time on the water. Become an interpreter of the water, observe, adapt, TRY.....and then try some more. You have to want it, not expect it.

14. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +40,275
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    I know where some bass are biting right now, if I had to guess, on a variety of baits, no boat required, no bull.. "it's too far, it's too hot, it's not..." Fill in the blank excuse.. really what it is.. "It's not cool!".. if I can catch them, anyone could, but guys would rather put a full day in at a local lake and pull a blank, where it is socially acceptable, than have three or so hours of driving time total and a thirty bass day.. it's an odd mentality

15. doubletap

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +576
    the problem is some people want to be hand fed so it's easy
    the new generation wants to post pics and get likes or make money on their youtube channel
    look at me look at me
    when is the best time to go fishing
    WHENEVER YOU CAN
    fishing is the cake and catching is the icing its all good
    I just love to be outdoors which isn't very often anymore
    it all comes to an end enjoy it while you can

#15 doubletap, Jul 25, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
    • Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • List
  16. tsugg

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,425
    Name:
    Tom
    Boat:
    alumacraft 165
    It's a so cal materialistic kind of thing. Bigger house, bigger boat, bigger B S stories. Hey whats that stupid socal saying? He who dies with the most toys wins. It's just dumbass mentality bread into us all about defining success. When really, success is defined(or should be) right between your ears and in your heart!!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  17. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,931
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    I know that God created me and he created fish and fishing is the connection!

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  18. Chknlyps2

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +923
    Name:
    Robbie
    I like that line!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1