1. Spotted bay bass SDFISH shirts available to order

We're doing another run of the popular Spotted Bay Bass SDFISH shirts, with a couple of additional colors this time. Available on short sleeves, long sleeves, or UPF 50+ rated fishing shirts.

Order Now

Dismiss Notice

Where to buy must have bass lures

Discussion in 'General fishing' started by ryeguy, Apr 20, 2017.

1. ryeguy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +114
    Hey guys, so I'm planning on buying lures and well honestly I don't know where I should look to be most cost effective. I usually just bought things from Walmart but I figured id ask ya'll where you buy your stuff or if there are deals for certain things. Thanks!

2. Nute

Nute Researcher...
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,952
    Tough question, because much of it depends on your budget and what you like to fish. Just because I'm partial to the places, I would highly recommend ECBT or Anglers Arsenal. Both will have everything you need. "Deals" aren't very regular at these places depending on what you're after. If you're savvy to social media (facebook) search for bait and tackle buy and sell groups. Theres a TON out there. Just a caution however, make sure you're buying from a reputable seller. Easy to get burned online nowadays.

ECBT usually has a few 'bargain bins' by the front counter. Sometimes they have some pretty cool stuff for half off.

Tackle warehouse is another legit option if you really want a selection based on your budget. I still suggest buying locally if possible.

Tight Lines

3. Linebig

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,715
    Boat:
    Stratos 185XL Pro
    Always remember most lures are designed to catch anglers. Dont go crazy with odd ball purchases from a great marketing Ads.

Simple easy hard baits that work.

4 inch jerk baits- shad colors
    1.5 and 2.5 squarebill cranks. Shad colors
    6-8ft cranks shad colors
    1/4-3/8 spinner baits- white / shad color.
    5/16 - 1/2 oz Top water walking baits. Shad colors

Keep it simple for sure. The only added informstion is this, buy 2 of anything you buy. Nothing worse than losing a bait you wer killing it with and not having another one or one for your buddy fishing with you if its going off.

Nute, yeah, he has the right information on where to purchase. :)

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  4. ryeguy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +114
    You guys are the best, thanks for the information. I really appreciate the time you put into it.

"Lures are designed to catch anglers" That is one of the best things I've heard as a fisherman. I must be an easy catch, haha.

5. SageBug

SageBug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +243
    Name:
    Jason
    I've picked up a TON of tackle at local swapmeets and ebay..

6. BassinNova

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +963
    Keep doing research on here or PM folks on what works at the local lakes. Just because a lure is doing well on the tournament tour or on youtube doesn't mean it will be as effective here. If I can't make it out to support a local tackle shop I like to put a group order together w/ some friends thru Tacklewarehouse to get free shipping ($50 on up). Sometimes Amazon will have some good deals too but you have to look for them. If you like to wait a month for delivery then BassPro is another option ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  7. dmorgan3

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +123
    So you want to be a total cheapskate and still catch fish? Assuming it is largemouth bass you are after, here is what you do:
    1. Learn to drop shot. Works even when the hard baits do not, always works if the hard baits are working.
    2. Only use 4-5" plastic worms on close out, overstockbait.com or fishandsave.com have 50% or more off at times.
    3. Buy hooks in bulk. Mosquito hooks work best but even cheapo baitholder hooks work. Use small size offset hooks if you need to be weedless.
    4. Use large split shots as weights, dirt cheap. Knot the line tag end so it does not slip off.
    5. Put a cheap swivel about 12" above the hook to prevent twist.
    6 If you find old discarded or lost plastic baits on the shore or in snags, use those. Cut to length if needed.
    7. Use Mend-it to repair any torn baits. Hardware store PVC cement also works but not as well.
    8. Don't buy anything special sold only just for drop shot e.g. special sinkers, hooks with swivels built in, etc. No tungsten nonsense.
    9. Use 6 lb mono for line, Vanish fluorocarbon for leader after the swivel if you want.

8. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +9,077
    Boat:
    3 too many
    @dmorgan3 , sounds like the advice I give people about saltwater.. The bargain plastics bin at y'all mart (1.50$) can have some interesting stuff like yum dingers etc..

9. porvida99

porvida99 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +35
    Z-man baits will last a lot longer than normal soft plastics. Just don't store them together.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. BassinNova

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +963
    I made this mistake once when some Z-man stuff mixed with senkos and ended up with a big glob of unusable plastic.