Where to Dispose of Boating Pyrotechnics

Discussion in 'Private Boaters and General Saltwater' started by William Ritchie, Jun 4, 2021.

1. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,779
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    At the risk of sounding like an oblivious idiot . Where do you get rid of expired coast guard signaling flares Etc ? I have called Sheriffs , Harbor patrol , coast guard auxiliary , Santee Fire Marshall , still awaiting call back . Bury ? Dump in a sack full of rocks at sea ? Burn ? It's a class D felony to set them off when there is no emergency and opens you up to civil citations as well . In years past the Coasties would take them for use in training ,but no longer do it . Looking up facilities in Ca only Monterey and Santa Cruz counties take them into their hazmat facilities . What do you do ? , ADD ,Harbor patrol field patrol officer said he had been on the force for 15 years and never been asked the question , more red tape as I see it . There must be hundreds of thousands of units that need to be dealt with . WR

#1 William Ritchie, Jun 4, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2021
  2. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +29,312
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Save 'em, might need them for home defense soon.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,779
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    Buckshot , buckshot , buckshot , slug , Flare at the parked car gas tanks ? Sounds good to me . Just tell me who to call to pick up the bodies . The Sheriffs barely answer the phone . WR

4. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,779
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    All In All I have the upmost respect for law enforcement . Just seems like there are quite a few boaters in this state . I can't believe I am the only one that has a question about what to do with the requisite waste created by the need to replace the safety equipment very 42 months . Done venting . Please if you have a good idea or have dealt with this lately let me know . WR

5. skrilla

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,774
    Fire Station.

Or fill water sprinklers with gas and save flares for when zombies/swat want to party.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  6. Werfless

Werfless The Coach ..RIP my friends
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +61,846
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Flares seem like a legit method to do a number of things

7. crawdadguy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,240
    I took mine to the local fire station.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,779
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    Would that be a San Diego Fire station or Another municipality . When I got ahold of Santee fire department they said , No , will not take them , The officer at the desk did say that she would contact the Santee fire marshal for clarification or another route but I haven't had the return call yet . I will say that it was past noon on Friday when we spoke . Thanks for the replies . WR

9. B8DHOOK

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,249
    Hmmm. I thought this answer would be an easy one. Head out to Glamis, set up camp, and have some piro fun once the sun goes down. But.. The class D felony thing kinda puts the brakes on that one.. There are, however, many places out near Imperial Valley that you could dig a nice hole and just bury the things.. Elements would break the stuff down over time, I would imagine.

10. B8DHOOK

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,249
    You could bring a rod with you and toss a line out while you’re digging your hole. See, it’s a two fer..

11. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,779
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    I thought about just using my wash out barrel about 1/3 full lay a tarp over it and shoot the 12 GA stuff into the barrel . If I am not mistaken they are 209 primer powered and should not be to loud . The water hopefully will douse the gun cotton or whatever they use . The strikeable I would put in my washing machine barrel fire pit for the desert and just let them burn , the problem with that is the cloud of Orange smoke for the neighborhood . I sent a request for documents from the state as too where to put them but I don't think I will see them before Monday . Would like to do it correctly rather than clandestine if possible . Seems every state or county entity just wants to pass the buck , and as I said before within the required replacement rule there must be a lot of this stuff in peoples garages . Note you can only have 50 lbs total in storage . Rules on flammable and explosives , who would guess it would be a problem . HA HA . WR

12. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,068
    The Sheriff's department dispatcher suggested that you put them in a box, leave 'em in your vehicle. Go to the substation..leave the box in the car....tell the person at the desk you "have some old ammo to dispose of." They can send a deputy out to collect the stuff.

Probably gets dumped in with all the seized fireworks...

See ya...

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  13. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,779
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    Thanks , whole different story from what I got , Will give it a try. WR

14. Fins in the Bin

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,655
    Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    I always assume I would just shoot the old ones into the water on a sunny day and call it "flare" training?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List