Where to get Marine batteries...

Discussion in 'Boating & Boat Maintenance' started by Rocketship, May 7, 2019.

1. Rocketship

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,508
    Boat:
    Skeeter 21i
    ...in San Diego?

I'm wondering if anyone has had any dealings with a particular battery shop and if so, where should I go for a quality battery?

2. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,239
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    Boat:
    17.5 Western Wide CC
    Do you need Marine starting or Marine deep cycle as for trolling motor etc they are different in specifications . Battery Systems on Chesapeake Dr in Kearny mesa is the Trojan battery distributor for San Diego , They have batteries of all types and sizes , When I was purchasing large quantities for golf car and industrial use they were one of the better distributors .ADD /EDIT While they are a distributor they will let the public buy as well , Shop is in the back corner of an industrial park and doesn't have much of a store front , Kind of tough to find without the directions on the website .

#2 William Ritchie, May 7, 2019
    Last edited: May 7, 2019
    • Helpful Helpful x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. plako

plako Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +467
    Auto-zone carries marine batteries too and the prices are great. Once you know exactly what do you need you may check also with them.

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  4. Larry M

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,811
    Name:
    Larry M
    Rocketship, Battery Plus has marine batteries also. There's a store in El Cajon to compare prices once you know what you need.
    Just another option to look at if it's the same maker of the battery that you are looking for. I know that they sell brand name batteries.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  5. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,239
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    Boat:
    17.5 Western Wide CC
    There are 3 major battery manufacturers that market starting and deep cycle batteries , Delphi , Exide , and Johnson Controls Inc . While shopping keep in mind you can easily verify who made a stores batteries . For instance Duralast as marketed by AutoZone as well as 20 + other brands are manufactured by , JCI So whatever the best price is you can bet its the same battery in a different wrapper, where the quality comes in is the warranty and specs of each , you will usually have 2 to 3 different grades of battery from each marketer , get the best you can afford . Trojan is a stand alone company that has been in the deep cycle part of the industry since they started making batteries for submarines in WW1 . Do your homework and you can get the best for the least . Tight lines

• Helpful Helpful x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • List
  6. crawdadguy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +625
    wal mart cheapest prices best returns

7. toolbox

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,311
    Costco carries good Marine Deep Cycle Batteries and great prices. They say Kirland but they are made my Interstate. 2 year full warranty.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. sherpa

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +897
    Disagree battery’s only have a 1 year guaranty there

9. Meezer_Man

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,234
    Boat:
    SeaEagle 9

2 years on the Maxx batteries. I had this discussion with Linebig 3 years ago on a e-mail =^..^=

#9 Meezer_Man, May 9, 2019
    Last edited: May 9, 2019
  10. Copper

Copper Member

Ratings:
    +20
    Name:
    Scoop
    Walmart Maxx deep cycle batteries have a 5 year warranty. 3 year full replacement and another 2 years pro rated. However, I replaced one after 4 years and the returns cashier had no understanding of "pro rated" and simply let me exchange it for a new one. I have used them in my boats and cars since the late 90's and have only had to return 1 before the 5 year warranty was up....thus the full replacement story. I had a 3 battery setup in my last boat that lasted over 10 years with a good on board charging system...and it had heavy heavy use...approximately 3k hours on the motor with those batteries. I currently own 6 vehicles and they all have Maxx batteries...with the exception of my motorcycle...and thats only because I have a light weight Li ion shorei battery not available in that brand.
    I have bought boats with Duralast and Interstate batteries already in them and they both failed in a short amount of time. I have bought cars/trucks with generic brand batteries and they never seem to last more than 3-4 years...which is still not bad. I seem to almost always get 5 years+ out of the Walmart batteries.
    Just my experience...I am certainly not an expert or claim to know anything more than anyone else. Simply a solid history with a good number of batteries than don't seem to ever fail before their time.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  11. geofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +11,403
    No offense but WalMart’s Everstart Marine batteries have an applicable Moniker......

They are called “Never start” for a reason. I have learned the hard way. The cheapest route is NOT always the best option. You get what you pay for. With the “Never Start” this adage fits.

My 2 cents.

I don’t use a Battery Only System. I run dual batteries. One is a Starting Battery, the other a Deep Cycle. Switch on “Both” while running and trolling (with engine)......switch to deep cycle only when stopped (running electronics and bait pump)......I use InterState Batteries BTW.

Also, another pearl of wisdom....Make sure your Battery has adequate MCA’s (Marine Cranking Amps).....Most of you are familiar with CCA (cold cranking amps).....There is a difference and the difference can mean a hail to “TowBoat US).....
    BTW - the Everstart Marine Batteries I got DID NOT display the MCA on it.....That’s how I learned about MCA vs CCA........FYI

12. Copper

Copper Member

Ratings:
    +20
    Name:
    Scoop
    I completely agree...I always use multiple batteries systems with a starting battery in the mix. Deep cycles are much better when pulling long loads from them and charging them back up. Trolling motors demand deep cycle batteries and destroy starting batteries quickly. I always run at least a 3 battery system with one of those being a starting battery and have a good switch to distribute power source between 1,2 or all 3 batteries.
    Everyone has their favorite battery company and I too am surprised that I have had such good success with never start batteries...but I have. I think the key to reliability and longevity lies less in the brand and more in how you maintain the batteries. A good smart charger is most important. Price difference is minimal between companies but none offer a 5 year warranty like Walmart. Competitors offer 3 years at most and sometimes that is pro rated and not even for full replacement. The warranty alone is my decision maker...even though I’ve only had to use it once.
    I think we all agree...don’t skimp on your batteries and keep them maintained. Getting stuck on the water without power sucks!

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  13. Meezer_Man

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,234
    Boat:
    SeaEagle 9

difference between marine battery and deep cycle? =^..^=

14. Copper

Copper Member

Ratings:
    +20
    Name:
    Scoop
    I just bought one yesterday for my 2015 evoque. It is a sick H7 group agm gel battery that surpasses the battery capabilities of the one it came with from the factory. It has a second motorcycle sized starting battery setup which seems brilliant because of all the extra features that require power. Clearly a 5 year warranty. In October I purchased a new boat and upgraded the battery system with 3 new batteries...2 deep cycle 29 group for 24v trolling motor and a starting battery. All 3 come with a 5 year warranty...3 year full replacement and the following 2 years prorated. I am 100% certain. This is for their higher end maxx line. They have two cheaper lines with a 3 year warranty and a 2 year warranty which I have never owned. I am 100% sure because I just made those purchases.
    Are they the best batteries? I clearly do not know. However, I have had only great success with them and will continue to use them exclusively until that changes. I do not think any other company offers a 5 year warranty? I’ve had extensive experience with them. Trolling motors, constantly running bait systems, deck and squid lights and electronics wear hard on batteries and I put a lot of hours on them. I ran charters 3-4 trips a week on my last boat for over 10 years. We all have our favorite companies. I am very happy with the maxx batteries and haven’t found a warranty to match it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  15. Copper

Copper Member

Ratings:
    +20
    Name:
    Scoop
    E32D3F41-2B4E-4DAA-AC5C-E9287F265E41.png

16. silentONE

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +615
    I work at O'Reilly's and I can tell you that William Ritchie is pretty much on point. JCI supplies most of our batteries, along with the rest of the west coast demand, as well as East Penn, who mainly supplies our power sport stuff (They also supply most of the east coast demand). Delphi is more than likely tied to AC Delco exclusively, and Exide, at one point has had a bad reputation. I've rode along with reps from Super Start (JCI) and they are pretty on point and in depth when explaining answers to questions I had about differences in batteries, and just general knowledge. I actually know how to tell who manufacturers what by their physical appearance after that. With that being said, our batteries are good, we carry or can get 24, 27, and 31 group size in the Super Start (1 year free replacement) and blue top Optima batteries in a 34, 27, and 31 group size (2 year free replacement).

BTW, I'm not trying to get you to buy from O'Reilly or anything, do your research and pick what's best for you. Me and my buddy are going with the Optima route with our boat. I trusted those batteries in other applications and turned out to be one of the better decisions in the past.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  17. Larry M

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,811
    Name:
    Larry M
    Here's the battery charger that I use, a little pricey but I have one for my truck and one for both of the batteries on the RV it won't over charge your batteries.
    Harbor Freight has similar ones, but I've never tried them.

20190512_074826-1.jpg

18. Larry M

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,811
    Name:
    Larry M
    Here's something that I just read, maybe it will be helpful.
    The people that know more about batteries then me can review it and help us out. Thanks.

Screenshot_2019-05-12-08-15-43-1.png

Screenshot_2019-05-12-08-16-46-1.png