Where to go on a gorgeous Sunday morning...

Discussion in 'Float Tubing' started by Creek, Jun 30, 2019.

1. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,031
    I woke up at 530am after a full nights' sleep. Very rare that I dont wake up during the night.. there's always something.. a page from work, some noise outside, a midnight bladder drain.. something.

So I know I'm going.. but where. Its a Sunday - and a gorgeous one at that. So wherever I go there are sure to be tons of people arriving after me. So where can I go to get a little water space and be disturbed as little as possible? I know EXACTLY where to go.

Grabbed my gear and drove to _________. This one dude - I assume someone that didn't live in SD - keeps watching me. He just looks like he wants to be my new friend - I have pretty keen sense of what's about to happen just based on a person's behavior. He walks by my truck no more than 100' and turns around three times while I'm gearing up and putting on my neoprene sox and fin shoes. I know he's just dying to tell me what a pro he is or something. And on the fourth walk-by, here it comes... "Ya, I already did that this morning." No "Good morning" no "How ya doing" no nothing.

I dont even offer him a look-up or nod of the head. But I do give him a thumbs up behind my back, having to stop tying my shoelaces to do it. Luckily for me, he says nothing else and moves on.

I'm the only one on the water that's fishing. I was hoping I would be. Fantastic. And the fun begins right away. I've got my flies in the water with about a dozen feet of sinking line behind it. I haven't even got my rod leash attached yet and my reel is singing. I gather my senses, pull back, and its gone.. whatever it was. Awesome.. so I know I'm dragging the right flies. 90 minutes later (short session because I had stuff to do at home), I'm 24 Spotties into it, with a dozen or more missed hits and one stolen olive clouser taken by something that hit me so hard that it pulled my rod tip down in front of my flippers - drag was set moderately - then went under me, I turned around without snapping my rod in half only to watch it run a little more. Then my line snaps back. Pulled the line in to find the clouser had been taken right off the knot at the tippet ring. Very uncool.

Watched a private boat owner as he verbally unloaded on several passing fishing boats as they totally blew-by his gorgeous, moored sailboat at high speeds, causing some massive waves that rocked his ride and mine both. So ya, there were some pretty rude boaters out there making a bad name for pretty much anyone with a boat - and they were on the water today with massive amounts of rudeness and stupidity, for sure. I get it.. they were trying to get out on the water to their favorite place to fish. I get that, I really do. But Jezuz.. where's the emergency? Think of others.. and think about the NO WAKE ZONES, would ya?

Called it quits there. Got some nice morning sunrise pics that are pretty typical. Didn't bother taking any fishy pics because nothing to hand was bigger than 14 or so. Anyway, nice short session at an undisclosed location (just because I hadn't been there in a while - and mostly only crazy float tubers would even consider going there anyway just because of the intense current pulls that make that small stretch so locally famous.

2. geofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +11,395
    Good read! Well done.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +39,042
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Very nice.. Solid session

4. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,450
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Was hoping to see these!

5. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,031
    If you're serious, I can add them in the morning. Will have to upload the camera then. At work right now.. cant you tell?:emoji_joy::emoji_joy:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,450
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    I love sunrises and sunsets and I know that pics don't do them justice. (like pics of the Grand Canyon, or big fish for that matter) But pics are the second best thing!

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,031
    Okie doke.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List