Where'd they go???

Discussion in 'Bay Fishing' started by tinbender, Apr 16, 2018 at 11:53 AM.

1. tinbender

tinbender Member

Ratings:
    +18
    After a 30+ year hiatus, I've returned to the gentlemanly sport of fishing now that I've survived working for the 'guvmint' this past summer (2017)

Something I noticed right away, especially fishing the north county lagoon shorelines, likewise any of the rocks lining Mission Bay are the tiny 1-1 1/2" little crabs within the rocks I've learned are known as 'sidewinders'.

Within the Carlsbad lagoon along the north shore I'd see small schools of bait fish, little smelt I'd assume cruising the shore. Made a quick plastic bottle trap like the many shown on UTube baited with bread and cat food. Worked well, had maybe a doz. in the bottle but the damned cap fell of losing the fish. Have made a better version I think will work better but...

Where'd they all go??? Referencing Bill Varney's expertise, either would be excellent bait but once the weather has turned, I haven't seen either one.

It was during the warmer summer months I encountered these guys but not lately. Is this the norm, do they disappear during the colder months?? If so, where'd they go???

2. tinbender

tinbender Member

Ratings:
    +18
    Ah come on... Surely someone is familiar with the habits of these guys???

3. Fat Spottie

Fat Spottie SDRC Neophytes: 9
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,071
    Boat:
    Broken Yak
    They are here year round from what I know.. at least down in MB. I’m sure they are up in Carlsbad as well it may just be that the water is sill cool. I saw it was 58 a week ago so hat may explain it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. TreeCatcher

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,311
    Be careful with the bottle trap. I don’t honk they’re legal here. Not sure tho so I could be wrong

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Mike maio

Mike maio Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +230
    Name:
    Bigheat
    Bait traps are not legal anymore. You must use the bait net only and no throw nets.

6. agrazela

agrazela Unstable Subgenius
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,330
    Name:
    Andrew
    Boat:
    SeaHunt172CC Opti125
    Bottle trap is illegal. As are any kind of minnow traps, etc. Only things you're allowed to use to catch bait are hooks (e.g., sabiki), or a dip net (e.g., umbrella net type), or big $$$ at the bait barge.

Water was 56° at PLK this past Sunday. I found the fishing to be pretty slow overall. Except for this guy:

IMG_0837[1].JPG

7. lone_wolf

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,105
    Water temp is about right, i was out on friday, and in sd bay it was reading 66* and out the bay was reading 55. I fished spanish landing saturday afternoon, and the water was around 62-63*. Fishing was on the slow side, not much to report unfortunately. Think we did nab a juvi dusky and decent butterfly ray.