Which float tube should I buy?

Discussion in 'Float Tubing' started by Badmiles, Jun 29, 2010.

1. Badmiles

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +124
    I'm about to buy a new float tube set up today and would apreciate any input from tubers out there. Should I get the Outcast Fish Cat 4 LCS for $189 at Turners or save $65 and go with the Cumberland Pontoon float tube for $125 at Sears? If the Fish Cat Why? Is it that much better? (I like the Outcast Trinity because of it's light weight for hiking purposes but dont know if it would handle as good in the water.. and it's a lot more expensive)

I have used the Cumberland pontoon tube in the past and it seemed to work great! Have never used the Fish Cat. I think the Fish Cat may sit me up out of the water better, better/ stronger constructed.. and the 5 yr guarantee..

Thanks!

PS. Could anyone recomend some waders neoprene or the other light weight thin material (not sure what it's called) with neoprene booties... I know my last pair of neoprenes were pretty hot here in socal and they leaked had to patch and spray them with water proofing.

Fins??

2. Mecca24/7

Mecca24/7 New Member

Ratings:
    +9
    I have a fish cat if your intrested for 80 bucks, but waders i recoomend hodgmens

3. m1k3midg3

m1k3midg3 New Member

Ratings:
    +3
    i second the hodgemens except they are a little hot during the summer. for winter they are perfecrt

4. souplantation

souplantation Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +8
    get the fishcat... its great.

5. souplantation

souplantation Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +8
    i wish i got mine for 80 bucks haha

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    i would put my caddis up if i had the 80 bucks for the fish cat. bad take this deal
    im using calcutta waders and like them they are a little warm in summer but i do like them in winter when others are cold

7. Badmiles

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +124
    Mecca24/7

Sent you a PM,let me know when I can check it out.. was hoping to tube Barrett tomorrow.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I'd take Mecca up on this offer if I were you.

As far as fins go...I have the Thruster Scuba Fins which are GREAT. They're easy to take on and off and they'll put you were you need to go in a hurry. Check them out in the link below....
    http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_44943____SearchResults

As far as waders...try and find something thats going to be comfy for you. Sports Authority has a couple different pairs to choose from. Check'em out and try them on.

9. MaxZmus

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,393
    Just saw the PM, So here's my 2 pennnies. The toon can be better in the sense that it will handle a much heavier load and you can move from one spot to another much faster since you're not dragging your legs in the water, but it's gonna suck because it usually takes a little longer to setup and take down, this ultimately translate into less time on the water and that's not good if you're a hardcore angler. When the wind picks up, you'll be picking up those paddles and putting down the rod/reel to stabilize, with a tube your legs will be your trolling motors and you'll still be able to keep fishing.

Which tube? For VALUE go with an ODC420 they've got a lifetime warranty and a I know a few guys that own them and love 'em. I went with the SUPER FAT CAT because I simply get ultimate PEACE of MIND knowing that it will carry my load and have room for all my tackle.

Mecca is giving that FISH CAT away for $80, too late now Tony don't try to raise the price on the man when he comes by to BUY IT!

OKay where are we?...Waders, definitely breathables, you can bundle up with thermos in the winter if you need it during trout season. Neoprenes are just too hard for me to put on and they almost hinder my kicking power making me slower on the water. Just too UNCOMFY for me to deal with. I also wear neoprene dive boots for extra reinforcement.

I have FORCE Fins but they just are'n't worth it. EZ's got you covered with a solid recommendation with the thrusters. Let us know if you have any more questions.

10. Badmiles

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +124
    Cool, thanks for all the input guy's! I use to use the old caddis round tube style but after using my buddies pontoon/v boat I'll never go back! Thank's again, see you out on the water!

11. m1k3midg3

m1k3midg3 New Member

Ratings:
    +3
    you can also get a seperate setup that allows you to hook up a trolling motor to your tube. search bw sports float power in google

12. fishinggod22

fishinggod22 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0
    By far 80 dollars for the fish cat is a great deal. jump on that fast. my favorite choice would be the ODC 420. great tube and my buddy still has my original that i bought over 7 years ago and its still working well with no seem or canvas rips. the fins suggestion above is a very good choice. i prefer neopreme waders, but i only tube san diego every so often. most of the time im at the colorado river tubing, so in the winter there the premes work very well with the cold river water, and when its summer there i dont need waders as its over 100 degrees. i pm'd you as well. good luck with your tube selections.