Whiskey lovers

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Kellen, Mar 15, 2018.

1. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,774
    The latest score; the ETL and ECBP were on the wishlist for awhile and I never can pass up Blanton's for a decent price.

IMG_0178.jpg

2. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +25,424
    Boat:
    3 too many
    Nothing like a bender.. Lol.. Get it!

3. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,774
    Hah, it'll probably take me a year or much longer to open these. I drink a few ounces a week and own way too much.

Sipped some George Dickel Barrel Select while doing the fish report tonight.

4. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +25,424
    Boat:
    3 too many
    You and I are different beasts, sir.. Respect to you...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  5. 5spot

5spot Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +443
    Those high sugar/sweet content? I enjoyed gentleman jack sipping, but proble bottom of barrel for you.

Generally, I love the aromatics on the way down and after taste. Two fingers in a half glass full of ice.
    Was in Kentucky for a wedding, and I failed to get on a whiskey tour ......which would have been the best in the world. My bad!

6. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,774
    Yeah you screwed up on that one for sure! I'm planning to get out there and visit those distilleries asap.

My buddy is real big on the Blanton's, which has become exceedingly hard to find in recent years. It's a single barrel, lots going on taste wise with those. Apparently, you used to be able to walk in about anywhere and buy it for the retail price (currently $52.99) - but now you're lucky to find it at all, and anything under $80 is a great price.

The Elmer T Lee is the same scoop, but even a bit harder to find. I've only seen it on the shelf in two liquor stores, retails for $35, but good luck finding it for less than $100.

The Elijah Craig Barrel Proof is a quarterly release, and one of the higher rated bourbons so it's also pretty hard to find. A lot of stores have it for $90-100, but can be found for around $60 if you look hard enough.

That's why I was asking about liquor stores in the other thread. Stuff is almost impossible to find in Texas, where bourbon/whiskey is like craft beer in San Diego. Its a lot easier to find bourbon in San Diego. Finding bourbon in Texas is kind of like trying to find 22LR in California for 5 cents a round with a democraft in the White House.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  7. mikecheck1212

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,957
    Best post in the lounge in years...cheers! I’ve been experimenting with whiskeys now for a few years and just like you I don’t drink a ton but love to have a good bottle around..if you’re still in town try the liquor store on El Cajon and Iowa...the owner loves talking whiskey and always hooks it up...they have a huge selection...he gets excited when I come in because he gets to talk to someone who isn’t there for 99 bananas or steel reserve

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. mikecheck1212

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,957
    There’s a whiskey add popping up in here..not sure if anyone else can see it...but that 1792 is not bad..

9. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,774
    Man it’s a Whiskey pickers paradise in San Diego! So much good stuff just sitting on the shelves. I was able to find almost everything on my list yesterday in just a few hours going from Lakeside to Santee to La Mesa and finally Spring Valley.

Found Blantons at BevMo in Santee and Rancho San Diego for $59, the lowest I’ve ever seen it for in stock.

Some stores have literally everything, but they’re basing their prices on second hand market values online, so that sucks. But still a few stores selling closer to what they should be at retail.

Still looking for Weller 12, I only saw that at one store and they were at $129, which I’m not paying.

10. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,774
    Los Coches Liquor in Lakeside has Elijah Craig Barrel Proof for $59 if anyone is looking for that. I saw it a few other stores, but they were between $90 and $120.

11. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +25,424
    Boat:
    3 too many
    Burrito is on me if you are still around and want one..

12. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,774
    Let's get one of those Texano burritos next time I'm back in April. But I'm buying!

My next couple days here are plugged trying to visit some prospective clients. I'll have more free time the next trip.

13. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +25,424
    Boat:
    3 too many
    Many thanks for what you provide us here.. Let me know any time

14. Vito1023

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,841
    That burrito sounds good where do get them I'll have to try one I'm going to be out east county on Thursday, taking the dog for some grooming?

15. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +25,424
    Boat:
    3 too many
    Loretos on Bancroft Dr.. South of 94 maybe a mile

16. Ordane

Ordane Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +188
    How far out of SD are you? I know a couple IE spots where the whiskey & bourbon sell and you may find some of that hard to get stuff. Although, I like it im not the most knowledgeable... But, I got lot of recommendations for craft beer & wine, haha!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  17. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,774
    I’m wayyyy out of town :)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  18. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +25,424
    Boat:
    3 too many
    You mean we don't have bowfin and alligator gar in a few hours drive? Hahahaha

19. Ordane

Ordane Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +188
    Ive considered it several times but this(90 min out) is about as far from SD as I think I could live

20. AzImport

AzImport Living Customs Violation
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,963
    I keep forgetting Keg N Bottle is a thing. Only live a mile away after all lol.

Also, got this for Christmas from my father. Bottled in small batches, as I understand it. Distillery is on the westerly side of Tucson near downtown.
    Not had the chance to try it yet, wife isn't a whiskey drinker (or really a drinker at all) and I'm not one to drink alone. From what I understand of the stuff, its gonna be a damn fine glass or two once I do get around to cracking it open.
    Of course, apart from this, I keep nothing but Jameson in the house. The 1.75l tend to last me about a year or so, which is good enough for me lol

20180321_104455.jpg